Sign in to follow this  
madme

Push ups as punishment

Are schools allowed to do this - Im not talking about in PE but a pastoral member of staff who is in charge of boarding. If the child is also ill would this still be acceptable? I have my own views but perhaps Im overreacting. My son refused. Is there any guidance about what is an isnt acceptable? Please someone anything? I just want to get in the car and go and pick him up.

The last time I saw anything like this was when I was in the forces........not nice :( As for making children do them as a punishment.....totally disgraceful! He's not in the marines :shame:

My son has begged us not to complain. Hes in a state. This woman is effectively bullying him. We spoke to someone previously at the school as an issue had arisen and he felt that she was "picking on him". He has promised to speak to someone tomorrow. Apart from this we have been happy with the school. No school is perfect but I feel that she is just going too far.

Was your son asked to do this as a form of punishment?

If yeah then totally not accaptable, what kind of a special school is this, doesn't sound very autism friendly but perhaps EBD type school. I would certainly make a complaint if it was done as a form of punishment >:D<<'>

He tells me that it was because he had forgotten his coat. He has said that this is the standard punishment if someone forgets something. I feel worse by the minute.

I think a meeting with this teacher/staff member and the head of year at least needs to be in order here.

God madme, I can't believe it, what type of special school is this? and what are they trying to do? have they forgotten i'ts far better to reward success and remembering things than to punish?

A friend of mines son was given a sweet by his teacher, he sat there eating it and went along with the oh it's nice as the teachers were doing it etc, the chance he had he went to the toilets and tried to flush it down the loo. It didn't flush the teacher then went in the class in front of all the children and asked who did it, he honestly replied it was him because he didn't like it, he's only 8 years old and in front of all the children she made him put gloves on and get it out the toilet.

this is the same school my son now has to go too. I think it's really bad that he's actullay not been able to express in the first place that he didn't like sweets, nice gesure and all that but not everyone likes sweets.

I think you should definatly write a letter of complaint, corporal type punishment should not in my opinion be used in any school.

madme.... omg :o

Now in the right context, with a bunch of kids who are able to laugh about these things...eg... an under 15 rugby team in training... it would be funny....BUT for a special school absolutely no way :shame::shame: ...Sounds more like boot camp.

I'd be furious, and to be honest, if they don't take you seriously when you talk to them I'd SERIOUSLY be wondering if this was the right school. I know if anything like that happened to Bill he'd be well traumatised....

You must be so upset.

Flora >:D<<'>

Oh my god!!!!

I would be in the car right now! How dare she!! Don't stand for that! Thank goodness your boy can articulate to you what is going on!!

I'm furious on your behalf..... Good luck

x

This is bullying bordering on abuse and you have got to stop this from happening again.

Cat

Every school has a behaviour policy which parents have access to.

Ask for a copy, and read through it to check what the progression of sanctions is.

My school's code begins with a verbal warning and ends with exclusion, and at no point is physical punishment/humiliation acceptable.

Then complain to the Head, and the Governors about what happened, in writing, referring to their policy and asking to abide by their own rules. Copy it to the LEA.

If their code is based on press-ups, cold showers and ritual humiliation of pupils, then you need to raise questions about why they think it is appropriate, when no sane mainstream state school would.

This is the type of punishment regularly dished out at my school along with cold showers and ritual humiliation. I think it is illegal but not 100% sure.

oh god i think its humilation among other things,complain to the school,its not on >:D<<'>

:o:tearful:

I agree with Bard. I'd be looking / asking for the schools behaviour policy (you can sometimes find them on the schools website...) and having a very close read through it. I would definately be taking it further..

>:D<<'>

Have had an awful night. Waiting to speak to my son. He has promised that he will speak to a member of staff first thing. He is also ill ( just a heavy cold)so I'm hoping that the medical staff will say that he should come home ( I dont want him getting the idea though that he can run away from these situations- he'll have plenty in life I'm sure).

Have spoken to son who has begged me not to take it further as he feels it will get worse. I have spoken to the Head of Medical Care who is looking into this. I think ill call chilline and socail services anonymously to see what they think.

This is totally unacceptable, and the fact your son is worried to take it further would really concern me :angry: If you feel you should get him and bring him home, just go for it. Explain to him it is not running from a problem, it is removing yourself from the situation while the problem is dealt with. The tutor needs to realise that what she is doing is not appropriate and the school needs to be aware you will take it further if nothing is done. Only by standing up for our childrens rights will we be able to stop this type of thing happening :ninja:

I hope you mange to sort this out.

Keep smilin

Elly

:star:

Thanks. A while ago I posted about what I think is at the core to this problem. My son attends an independent residential special school. There are no care plans. While after a complaint a few months ago the person in question was given more training ( I understand that there have been other complaints) she doesnt actually understand each child's needs. She has "access" to his file - but that doesnt seem sufficient. Its so annoying as in all other areas we are happy - finally he is making progress in maths due to the most fantastic maths teacher. His Ot understands his sensory issues and is improving his gross motor skills in a way that others before have failed eg he can serve a tennis ball, he has scored a run in cricket- this is so good for his self esteem. Its just this one woman who is spoiling it all. He has her as boarding parent for another year so its not just a case of waiting out to the Summer. Why should one person ruin what is otherwise working?

Are schools allowed to do this - Im not talking about in PE but a pastoral member of staff who is in charge of boarding. If the child is also ill would this still be acceptable? I have my own views but perhaps Im overreacting. My son refused. Is there any guidance about what is an isnt acceptable? Please someone anything? I just want to get in the car and go and pick him up.

I would follow what Bard has said and try to get your hands on a copy of their policy. If you feel you have a case to complain. Book a meeting with the head and talk it through with he or she, first. If you still are not happy you could just quote the following words, Disability Discrimination Act 1995. This would put the wind up them big time! If you wish to read it, follow the link below.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1995/1995050.htm

Andy

Greenman