Sign in to follow this  
opheila

chloral hydrate

hi can anyone tell me if there child has been given chloral hydrate to help them sleep at night,

my son has been on this for nearly a month and i have found it makes him as high as a kite and keeps him awake for hours. suddenly you turn around and he is out. :tearful:

Not been given that but our GP prescribed Piriton (chlorphenamine maleate). First night she was really hyper, I still had melatonin capsules left so the next night I gave her 1/2 a capsules of melatonin and just before bed the Piriton. It stopped the hyperactivity. It's still not 100% effective for a nights sleep but does seem to improve things a bit.

If you don't have melatonin you could see if your local supermarket stocks "night milk", that is pretty calming too.

Good luck!

A x

Edited by aro

My 4yr old was precribed this about 6 months ago, but it made him even harder to deal with! :crying:

He was hyper and bouncing off the walls!! It seemed to have to opposite effect on him until the next day at school, where he would fall asleep in the middle of the playground!

We gave up on it very rapidly, which was hard as this was our last resort having already tried Melatonin and Vallergan.

I think one sniff of it would knock me out! but doesn't seem to work that easily on my boys!

Is your son still taking it now? or have you found an alternative?

Nikki.

I have taken L on this as it was having the same effect on him we are waiting for a prescription for melatonin getting it on Friday we also tried the vallergan and it had the same effect so hopefully the slow releasing melatonin will help

thanks for replies

opheila

Edited by opheila