Sign in to follow this  
BusyLizzie100

Gutted UPDATE

Provision panel had turned DS2 down for special school. Mainstream isn't working, the only alternative is moderate learning difficulty school with autism base. Unless he has other learning difficulties MLD school is not appropriate, apparently.

So there's no appropriate provision for him, basically. Gutted. I hate to see him so distressed.

Will keep at it, but I feel sooooooooooooooo low.

Edited by BusyLizzie100

Lizzie,

:(

Don't know what to say, just sending >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> .

When will this county wake up??! :wallbash:

K x

When will this county wake up??!

When will this whole country wake up??! It's disgraceful what's happening to our kids.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Oh Lizzie I so feel for you >:D<<'> I'm sorry to hear that.Can I ask though have you viewed the base at all as the ones round here would be perfect as they seem to cater for our kids very well.Not that my son can get a place in one tho either..... :wallbash:

Oh no! im so sorry this has happend >:D<<'> >:D< >:D<<'> >:D<

It makes me so angry wiht how we have to battle like this and whats more hard is to see our kids suffer like this! :angry:

The system makes me sick and words are hard to find to describe it :(

Bambi x

Oh Lizzie I so feel for you >:D<<'> I'm sorry to hear that.Can I ask though have you viewed the base at all as the ones round here would be perfect as they seem to cater for our kids very well.Not that my son can get a place in one tho either..... :wallbash:

Yes, I've been to look at all the county's provision, that is, four moderate learning difficulty special schools, all with an autism base (No mainstreams with autism base). Can't get in the autism base unless you have additional moderate learning difficulties (ie, autism isn't enough). The MLD schools I visited would be great for DS2; he probably wouldn't even need a place in the base.

He hasn't learned 'how to learn' yet, but he's assessed as being at Level 1 and 2. He can't remember what he's 'learned' from one day to the next, can spell at age 11 (he's 7) but hasn't a clue what the words mean or how to use them. He reads at age 8.5, but his comprehension is limited. He can't 'use' these tools he's supposed to have learned.

He falls into the gap between MLD and mainstream school (with support), which just isn't catering for him appropriately - he's getting more distressed and more aggressive. We now have to wait for him to fail 'properly' until something is done, but frankly there's nowhere else to put him.

We're now looking for autism-specific provision outside of the county, but you know the story: fight, fight, fight.

At the moment I don't feel like I've got any fight left. I just feel like giving up. :crying:

Hi,

I was wondering how everything was going. I'm sad to hear that they don't think a spe_ial s_hool would suit him. (sorry my keyboard is still not working, I'm still missing a letter!)

So what are they suggesting, that where he is, is the best pla_e for him? I was told this for DS too, (but we didn't go to panel), even though he is way behind his peers , he is not behind enough to be MLD.

We're trying to get more hours written into his statement. I feel this will be a losing battle for us. What are you going to do, are you able to appeal this? as I remember you're statement was amended so you have more grounds to appeal.

PM if you want to talk.

Pim

What are you going to do, are you able to appeal this? as I remember you're statement was amended so you have more grounds to appeal.

At the moment, just feel like hiding under a rock and giving up! No, his Statement hasn't been amended yet - still waiting it for to come back from Review cos it was put on hold until panel met. The SALT has indicated that she is reducing provision, so if Statement is amended to take that into account, then yes we will appeal. Although, I feel a bit bruised :fight:

Apparently the panel were 'puzzled' as to why my son's case was even at panel, as his levels are OK (our argument is that these are mechanical skills eg learning by rote and that functionally he is operating at a much lower level).

But they want to look into why he is so distressed so they want a different ed psych to see him, apparently this person has more ASD experience or sumfink. Well, yeh, getting someone with knowledge of ASD involved would be helpful! So there will be more 'investigation' but what it'll lead to I don't know. Just more sticky plaster.

I want him to go to an autism-specific school - if he has an OK IQ (not possible to get an accurate measure, apparently - profile way too spiky) then he needs somewhere that can cater for that AND his autism, instead of trying to turn him into some non-autistic parrot. Blah.

So where is this mystical place?? We live just north of London, so answers on a postcard, please!!!!! :pray: Feeling ever so slightly hysterical now!!!!

Lizzie :fight:

>:D<<'> I know exactly what you mean,I remember now our boys are pretty similar in their little ways..We are stuck because like your boy M is 'learning' and making 'educational progress' as they call it,but as his mum I can see he's regressing due to the stress of it all in ways they can't even comprehend let alone understand :wallbash: They just don't get it do they??

They seem to think because they aren't kicking off at school they're fine,we just get it all the minute they come out.I am scared too as like you I can see the breakdown coming and am fighting not to let it get to that but what do we do????Most of our boroughs places are taken by kids from out of borough so the places left I've been told go to the kids who basically the mainstream schools can't/won't cope with (although they tell me its the other way round and the kids can't cope with mainstream :whistle: )

I have M's review in 3 weeks and although the professionals agree he's falling further behind and under so much stress,he's learning so they won't move him!His phsyc has asked though that the mainstream school he's in implement EVERY strategy they use in the base I wanted him to go to tho...why not just move him to the base?????

I was really cheesed off to put it mildly but then I came up with a plan... ;)

If they so want to keep him there then they are going to have to do every idea she had which I know full well they will be horrified by,it'll mean real hard work rather than just the babysitting they do now sooooo hopefully they will have a sudden rethink as to wether or not they can actually meet his needs after all.....

She wants a weekly timetable done a week in advance,visual schedules for every day,a visual chart on his desk for each subject so he knows what is required,scheduled time outs and breaks,scheduled OT,a typing programme,trips out with his LSA to help him with his sensory issues,playground buddies,15 mins chilltime at the end of the day..the list goes on and on!!!

Reason I'm blathering on is, can you get the new ed psych to write something along these sort of lines,basically listing all the facilities he would get if he were at the school you wanted(but saying his current school has to do it all) so the LEA and his current school will realise they can't possibly meet his needs???

I hope I have vaguely helped in some way and not sent you to sleep lol..(well you probably could do with a rest!) Take some time out for you and recharge your fighting spirit..it will come back and keep going,I just wish I could win the lottery and build us all the school we know we all need!! >:D<<'>

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I don't know why everything has to be so hard all the time :tearful:

exactly,we have to fight for every single thing,i find it all very distressing

sorry busylizzie >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

>:D<<'> If they so want to keep him there then they are going to have to do every idea she had which I know full well they will be horrified by,it'll mean real hard work rather than just the babysitting they do now sooooo hopefully they will have a sudden rethink as to wether or not they can actually meet his needs after all.....

She wants a weekly timetable done a week in advance,visual schedules for every day,a visual chart on his desk for each subject so he knows what is required,scheduled time outs and breaks,scheduled OT,a typing programme,trips out with his LSA to help him with his sensory issues,playground buddies,15 mins chilltime at the end of the day..the list goes on and on!!!

Thanks, Deedee, that's given me something to work on! sounds like your Pysch is pretty switched on - is this separate to the ed psych or not?

Basically you're absolutely right, it IS just babysitting. I think we're really unfortunate in that the autism outreach we get is absolutely pants as well. There is just NOTHING in the whole county that can cater for him. I'd be happy to fight if there was something to fight FOR, but I just can't find it!

Thanks for all your replies, folks. Feel like everyone else has washed their hands of us - even our families are nowhere to be seen - but you lot are like a family that cares and understands. :wub:

Lizzie, still feeling :fight:

I so know how you are feeling, that there is absolutely nowhere here that is able to meet the needs of our DS's. I haven't found anything out of _ounty either. (sorry about missing letter!)

I am thinking of putting DS forward to the panel. We were told to wait until the autism outrea_h had put some of her strategies into pla_e to see if they worked. Ds is happier now going 4 days a week. But LEA want him to go full-time without them or the shool putting in any additional hours of support. Ahhhhhh. I feel like shouting too.

pim

Hi Lizzie how are you feeling today? The psyc I mentioned was the one at CAMHS but the ed psyc who covers our school has also come up with a list for me,as well as his SALT and the ASD lady :thumbs: I spent yesterday putting the finishing touches to my parental advice for the review.I included amongst others,sensory integration,social skills groups,social outings,help to integrate in the playground,quiet time,a more hands on curriculum,more visual aids e.g. timetables pictures/lists on his desk of what to remember.This is on top of all the other bits already on his statement lol...I also (hopefully) covered if they try to reduce funding by stating in the description of Complex needs taken from the code of practice, it states the 4 areas of SEN are

communication and interaction

cognition and learning

behaviour,emotional and social development

sensory and/or physical needs

As far as I'm concerned my boy has all these so let them try to reduce his hours... :ninja:

I really am looking forward to the LEA ladies answers... :whistle:

A bit better today, thanks Deedee.

I've come round to thinking that it's a good thing that this other Ed Psych is going to have a look - perhaps rather than dismissing my son the panel want to investigate further. It's a very narrow chink of light, but I've got to hold on to it!

Other news is that our CAMHS is also now taking an interest. My other son (DS1) has been seeing a psychologist there for some time but now that we've demanded some input with DS2, things may actually be happening for him at last. The woman in charge of DS1's case agreed to meet DS2 and, while I had very little hope of anything good coming of it, she seems to have come up trumps (sort of).

She's confirmed everything we know about DS2, and described how he exists in his autistic 'safety zone' perfectly. Yes, he's had a dx for three years now but no one seems to have taken what that means on board. At last! Someone who who can see what we see! It's such a huge, huge relief! I feel like crying from the relief of someone being 'on our side' at last! She's not sure that she will be able to help in terms of therapy, but she definitely wants to make an input into the special school debate and is planning on getting to know DS2 better.

What more can I say? Feeling tearful now for different reasons!!! :tearful:

Lizzie x

Hi Lizzie - am glad things seem to be a little better, for you today. It can make a real differance having at least one 'professional' on your side, or at least who understands your sons problems properly, at least then they can't brand you totally bonkers or paranoid or over-protective or whatever other rubbish labels they use to get out of their responsibilities because then they'd be branding there own professional as the same! :devil:

The whole school thing is like a roller coaster, I really hope things stay on the up for you, (for a while at least eh? :rolleyes: )

Luv Witsend.

Hi Lizzie,

Just read your latest post with the more hopeful news, let's hope the CAMHS psychologist can make a difference. :pray: It's so hard as a parent on your own, trying to convince everyone of what you know: what a relief to have someone who understands and can help fight the educational battle with you.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

K x