Greenman

Straw Poll - Are your Aspes, left or right-handed?

Q. Straw Poll - Are your Aspes, left or right-handed?

A. My son is Right-handed

Andy

Greenman

Edited by Greenman

My son writes with his left hand but he does everything else with his right hand, it's like it's his 'doing' hand, so he is a bit of a mixture. I guess, seeing as he writes with his left, then I'd have to say he was left handed.

~ Mel ~

My son writes with his left hand but he does everything else with his right hand, it's like it's his 'doing' hand, so he is a bit of a mixture. I guess, seeing as he writes with his left, then I'd have to say he was left handed.

~ Mel ~

Hi Mel,

He's like me, I am left -handed. I write and paint left-handed and I do most other things right-handed.

Andy

Greenman

Not sure what to put myself down as . . . :unsure:

As a young child I used both hands for anything, though tended to favour my left hand for writing (although would use my right hand about 1/3 of the time).

When I started school early, I had a teacher who favoured the use of the right hand and so I was forced to write with my right hand and punished if I used my left-hand. So I became right-handed for writing and stuck with this, but always held my pencil in a 'left-handed' way (if that makes sense - so I smudge all my work if I use a pen) and retained the use of both handed/footedness. Sometime I would pick up the pencil and write with my left hand totally absentmindedly, so I guess I was amidextrous.

However, 4 years ago I had a serious head injury and was temporally paralyzed down my left side. Though I've got pretty much all of my movement back I never regained the ability to write with my left hand (at least not in any readable way), so in some ways, being made as a child to learn to write right-handed actually probably saved my ability to write following my accident.

So I'll put myself down as a confused right-handedish person :wacko::lol:

C doesn't have a dominant hand yet (age 8), he seems to be beginning to favour his left hand lately, but was encouraged (like Mumble) to use his right-hand for handwriting when he started school. As a result, his handwriting is abominable and he finds it taxing to the point of being painful.

This is a good poll.... it's interesting the amount of "lefties" so far.

:rolleyes: Hmmmm, Right handed, but have noticed his main strength is in his left !

His gramp is left handed.

xxx :thumbs:

Right-handed, poor gross motor skills but exquisite handwriting and an amazing artist.

Sucks his left thumb when stressed or sleepy, so that hand is often out of service!

Q. Straw Poll - Are your Aspes, left or right-handed?

A. My son is Right-handed

Andy

Greenman

It seems at first glance that a high percentage are left-handed, very interesting! What do others think?

Andy

Greenman

Edited by Greenman

Hi Andy,

I raised a similar question some time ago.

As a left-handed mum of two sons, one with suspected AS and one with a definite dx of autism I thought there might well be some connection.

If your average right-handed females are left-brained (language,skills intuition etc) then are left-handed females the opposite ?

I have to say that I am quite handy with a map and IKEA instructions and definitely have a 'male' brain, in addition to so-called 'female' traits.

Given that left-handed females make up only 3/10 lefties I wonder if us leftie mums have more of a chance of producing ASD offspring ?

Isn't it all to do with testosterone during pregnancy ?

I think it's an interesting topic,

wac

Myself and two of my children are a bit of both, that's the two children most affected by their ASD.

I eat left handed, despite my Dad's dedicated efforts to make me do otherwise. If I ate the RH way, I made such a mess, my potatoes would shoot off the plate taking the gravy with them! As soon as his back was turned I'd swop hands and now eat LH all the time. I use both hands for lots of things but play racquet games best left handed. I hold a baby LH (head on my right arm) and so put him down with his head on the RH end of the cot. Ex dh used to do it the other way, so both of us had to juggle the baby a bit when we picked him up if the other had put him to bed. When I was doing ice skating lessons, I had to go on the end of the row as my skated circles always went the 'wrong' way and I'd bump into the others. The skating teacher asked if I was left handed because that's the way I was going. I fold my arm LH too, that's LH fingers showing when your arms are folded. Can't remember what else but I've noticed that I do actually do lots of things LH. I write RH but I might have been made to do that, as I'm in my late 40s and it was the done thing then.

My ds2 and dd are similar to me. They also do some things LH but both write RH and neither have been made to do that. When dd was little, knowing we had ASDs in the family by then, she was thoroughly checked out from about age 2 and they found that she was very late in deciding which hand would be the dominant one. They said that can cause all sorts of problems in the brain and at that time she was quite dyspraxic too but once she settled into mainly RH, her co-ordination improved. I think they said its more disruptive to the brain, than being left handed, when the brain can't decide which hand its going to be.

I know quite a few families with ASDs in them and left handedness if almost invariably in there somewhere. Actually quite a lot of flat feet too, has anyone got that in their family?

"Actually quite a lot of flat feet too, has anyone got that in their family?"

Ooh yes, mr pearl's sister (who is self diagnosed aspergers) has.

Left handed and right footed! Often right handed for other things, except writing. It's a mystery to me!!! :lol:

He writes with his right hand but uses both hands for anything else including colouring. When we play games like tennis he swaps his racket from hand to hand and plays equally well (or should I say badly!) with either.

Con is right handed and his Dad lefthanded (undx AS) just to throw something else into the pot - both have double crowns and beautiful thick long eye lashes !!!!

Clare x

Right-handed, poor gross motor skills but exquisite handwriting and an amazing artist.

Sucks his left thumb when stressed or sleepy, so that hand is often out of service!

Hiya Bard. :thumbs:

Another great artist, brilliant.

Dan has lovely handwriting, a great deal better than mine, and his Art is also amazing.

He will sit for about 10-15 mins copy from the internet or a book, especially cartoon characters like 'The Simpsons' and its immaculate, if he thinks he has made one slight mistake he will start all over again.

I must say our boys certainly have that talent, i'm still learning how to draw a matchstick man lol.

Anyway say well done to your lad, as you know normally a lot of patience is needed for art, but I think this is their way of relaxing due to any anxiety or distress.

Luv Di xx :thumbs:

Con is right handed and his Dad lefthanded (undx AS) just to throw something else into the pot - both have double crowns and beautiful thick long eye lashes !!!!

Clare x

Hi clare63 :thumbs:

Dan my son also has a double-crown and thick long eyelashes.

When he was born, they were so dark and long they curled, the nursing staff couldn't get over it, and their still the same...........me well I have to stick to wearing mascara lol.

Dan used to scream and complain about his eyelashes going into his eyes and as he got older he asked if he could trim them down lol.

To finish that he has huge blue eyes, blonde colour hair and lovely dark eyebrows you can't help noticing even from a distance, and now he is complaining he has one big brow going across his eyes with no space above his nose, and i caught him climbing the other week in the bathroom cabinet, he was apparently looking for a razor to shave them off lol.........oops.

I would love natually long eyelashes and yet my mum said when i was born mine were also long and curly, so i think my age has thinned them out and wearing mascara lol.

Lets hope he doesn't get the idea of wearing mascara lol.

These days it seems the boys are the ones with these beautiful lashes doesn't it ??

And do you find everyone you talk to always compliments us on them ? even strangers lol.

luv Di xx :thumbs::thumbs:

My son seems to be right handed,my nt son is left handed.

i say seems to be right because all dan can do is scribbles and the school tends to prompt him to use his right hand.

dan has all motor skill problems

DS (aspergers, adhd dyspraxia) - righthanded, problems crossing the midline, double crown, thick eye lashes, flat footed

DD- aspergers- query left handed - can write with both- uses each hand for different tasks - kicks with right foot. sucks right thumb which gets sore and we believe contributes to writing with left hand.

my son is right handed , and flat footed , having raised insoles fitted at moment

I found the double-crown thing interesting. So I googled "double crown" hair neurological.

And there is a link between double crowns and ASDs and ADHD!

Hi

My son hasn't quite made his mind up yet - he changes between left and right!

Caroline.

my boy is left handed and has a double crown..

another thing I was told was common... was big brown eyes, which my boy has...and half his class of 8

anyone else noticed that?

I found a piece online about identical twins. One was left-handed and the whirl of the hair on her crown went in one direction, her twin was right handed and the whirl went in the opposite direction. Wierd!

Apparently, the way your hair falls on it's crown can be connected to whether you are left or right handed. Some times (but not always ) children with double crowns can be ambidextrous and the hair in each of their crowns goes in opposite directions.

I also found an old wives tales page which says double crowns are said to be the sign of a traveller or prosperity or a long life.

Amazing what you can find online isn't it?!

I'm right handed but do certain things left handed. When it came to doing high jumps in PE at school I could never decide which leg to lead with.