Tally

Written Report

I've got the written report from my assessment where I was diagnosed with Asperger's.

She says I like sparkly, glittering objects, and have a special skill in caring for abused cats :)

She describes my social difficulties as more severe than I had realised. I don't know if I exaggerated things in the appointment, or if it is really that bad. I know that there are things I have only become aware of having read about them in the context of AS/autism, so maybe I am just not aware of all of them yet. She did say that she suspects that I am not aware of the severity of my social difficulties. Perhaps things came across even though I said I didn't feel a certain way or experience a certain difficulty.

Not really sure how I feel about it all at the moment.

I think I sort of understand what you're saying. I have two reports; one from my diagnosis in February and one from my Needs Assessment in March. They make quite horrific reading. There is a lot about my social difficulties that I didn't realise was 'wrong' - I've become much more self aware since having my reports which is both a good and a bad thing. Given that I scored full marks (I'm nothing if not a perfectionist!) on the AQ (i.e. I have/display 50 out of the 50 ASD 'traits') I clearly have quite marked difficulties - and certianly knowing these is helping me to explain earlier events in my life - a lot of 'oh, so that's why ...' , but also blaming myself for things which rationally aren't my fault, which has been difficult.

It is and will continue to be a long period of adjustment, even if it is what you were expecting. You have to remember that the psychologists doing these assessments are working to 'criteria' and will find ways of fitting what you might think of as quirks or nothing in particular to their criteria. Only you can really know how you perceive the world - the report is there to help you think through these issues, as confirmation to others, and as a useful reference point for knowing that there is something behind your invisible difficulties/differences.

Know how you feel, Tally >:D<<'> Had my report just over a week, like Mumble says it makes horrific reading. My eye contact was poor apparently, but I was really making an effort at the assessment :tearful: My score on the EQ was especially low...I thought my empathy was relatively ok...but apparently I don't do cognitive empathy and the area I did score in was affective empathy...but still extremely low. I have a spiky cognitive profile (Sorry, I get a funny pic in my head when I mention that!), which is common in people with an ASD. Gettting information from me was like getting blood from a stone (funny how I can use some of those terms! I can't explain what they mean to anyone else though, but can use them in context). I'm feeling rather lost and bewildered at the moment and a friend I thought I could rely on has been rather mean to me. I expect we're experiencing similar emotions. But it's hard, for me the report felt like a character assassination so now I have to pick up the pieces except I'm too depressed to act :crying:

I posted a couple of months back about how upset I was with JP's ed psych report. Even though he's had his dx for years, it just seemed so negative & hit us like a sledgehammer all over again.

Remember it doesnt give the whole picture, & they have to bear in mind you may be needing the report in order to have evidence that qualifies you for benefits so some of the things they say do seem brutal.

Yes JP is in the bottom 2% for processing speed, and is emotionally & socially immature.

But.... he's polite, friendly, intelligent, funny, helpful interested in people, and clearly enough of those qualities shone through for him to be offered the apprenticeship only a couple of months later, & there was me thinking he was unemployable on the strength of that report. You just never know.

My mum was really shocked at the changes in my cats in the year since she's seen them, so I am good at that.