Greenman

Straw Poll - Were your Aspes, early walkers or talkers?

Q. Straw Poll - Were your Aspes Early walkers or Early Talkers?

A. Both my AS son and my daughter, were both very late walkers ( nearly 18months) and both were trying to talk around 6 months.

Andy

Greenman

steve walked at 18 months,cant remember when he spoke :crying: god thats awful,i cant remember :crying::crying:

Connor was walking at 9 months !!!!!! yes it was a nightmare, could escape through our small dog/cat flap !!!!!

I too can't remember when he started to talk but know he did a lot of pointing.

Clare x

M walked without help when he was 18 months old and was talking in sentences before he was 2. He could say some unusual words when he was 8 months old like "cowd" pointing at the clouds. :wub:

Curra

J suspected ASD was walking by 13months, and once he could run there was no more walking, casualty should be his second name with the falls he did.

Talking was very difficult and he had a very limited range that frustrated J to the point of really bad tantrums.

At the point I didnt know anything about ADHD, ASD and I didnt understand what I do now I so wished I had of used the pecs and visual faces.

Js speech was picked up in nursery and he attended speech and language therapy, but his attention was so severe that it was very difficult for him, they had to use the play mobil and use the words in this school also gave him extra sessions on 1-1 work around words.

J can talk and pronounce now but cant construct sentences, or forgets what word come next, and his conversations are irrlevant to your conversations but apparantly the speech and language department said he doesnt need any speech and language therapy and his difficulties are due his ADHD and possible ASD.

JsMum

C walked at 8 1/2 months! It was, as Clare said, very difficult - as he had no depth perception and would have gladly walked off the edge of a cliff. But it was his sole goal in life at the time - he practiced it non-stop until he could it, and tantrummed when he let go of something and couldn't stay on his feet.

He talked at 10 months... for a day! He repeatedly said "cup" and "teddy" (he had a picture of a teddy on his favourite drinking cup) while pointing to them for a whole day, then didn't speak again until he was about 15 months old. He was a bit of an odd one :blink: . He did the same thing with toilet training - it was almost as if he thought he'd try it just to see if he could do it, then decided he didn't really like it afterall.

:robbie:

Hi, well I would say Dan talked more than walked, I know I shouldn't compare as every child is different, but Jamie my older son was walking and talking well by just over 9mths, Dan hummed a lot and didnt get out of the habit until he was in the juniors, but walking he must have been around maybe 15mths.

xxxxx :thumbs:

L walked at 20 months (so did I apparently!). She was quite late to say her first recogniseable words (about 18 months I think) but then progressed very quickly and was speaking in complex sentences by her second birthday.

K x

Guest Lya of the Nox

mine did age and stage app stuff, she walked at 8 mths, and had words oks

which makes all this confusin for me

x

M was walking at 12 months - should have been earlier but she was a demon crawler and walking was too slow!

She was also talking around the same age - but when I look back it was very repetitive - she would repeat things that people said to her or from nursery rhymes. She never pointed to find out what stuff was. Also she used her fet more than hands - when lying under a baby gym she would kick the stuff to make it move and not try to use her hands.

One thing that I remember that seemed a bit wierd at the time was that she was really quick to learn stuff - for example colours, numbers etc - but learning about herself was realy hard. The health visitor used to do a check on "parts of the body" e.g. "where's you leg/tummy/ ears" etc - and she just could NOT get this.

Hi Matthew was walking by 13mths, he started to walk at 12 mths but it took him a good few weeks to really get going. (at 12 mths could walk about 15 steps) he was saying words from about then too and by 17mths was talking in 2 worded sentences. (no different to my other 2 really)

Ds walked at 13mths. He didn't talk until about 22mths when all he could say was "no". His speech is still very poor, he has troblw with clarity of speech and recall of words amongst other things. This has always puzzled me as I thought he would be defined as having HFA because of the speech aspect!

Carrie

HI,

Kai walked at 10 months, or rather he RAN! He used to run with his head down and arms out behind him like a bird. I had bubble wrap round all the furniture as he was always crashing into things.

He talked very young (started at 7 months) and by his first birthday could say 42 words (i wrote them all down!). He was talking like a five year old by the age of 2. At the age of five though, his social skills were of a 3 year old :( .

I think it's hard for AS kids if their speech is so advanced, yet their social skills are really lacking. So much more is expected of them as they sound older than they are.

Loulou xxx

I started talking simple and badly pronounced words around 13-14 months and started walking around 14 months. I walked properly - i.e. unaided and more than a step or two - around 16-18 months and promptly ended up dashing into traffic so from then on had to wear a harness.

I really didn't like walking though especially not outside, and famously stood in front of my heavily pregnant aunt when I was 2+ years old, declaring "May carry now". (I deemed it a privilege for people to be allowed to carry me :rolleyes: )

I think a lot of that was due to the fact that chronic ear infections left me dizzy and visual processing problems meant I often freaked out on uneven ground.

By the time I could walk freely I could repeat 2-3 word phrases. I started pointing at 18 months, too. (I guess before that there was nothing worth pointing at since my field of interaction was so narrow until I started walking properly)

The big thing I remember struggling with as a kid was remembering how to pronounce words and syllables, and which order they go in. I too was a "hummer" and used to hum and sing to myself incessantly long before I spoke. I still did it afterwards, too, I remember this one time when I was about three or so, and I was humming to myself and really "in a trance" when my Mum snapped me out of it abruptly by exclaiming "What are you doing?" or similar. :whistle:

Edited by Noetic

One thing that I remember that seemed a bit wierd at the time was that she was really quick to learn stuff - for example colours, numbers etc - but learning about herself was realy hard. The health visitor used to do a check on "parts of the body" e.g. "where's you leg/tummy/ ears" etc - and she just could NOT get this.

That sounds like something that would have really creeped me out as a kid - where the hell does that person think my tummy/ears etc. should be if not where they are right now? :whistle:

And LOL @ "demon crawler" ;)

I must admit I didn't start pointing to communicate until we got a TV and I learned about letters and numbers etc. (I pointed at ca. 18 months more as a sort of exclamation of "There" than anything else, and there are some really funny pictures of me and my godmother where she is pointing at her window while I am staring into the gutter below, and when I finally notice her and start pointing too, *she* is staring at the gutter instead! :rolleyes: )

Edited by Noetic

J started walking just after his first birthday.

He was very precocious with his speech. By 16 months he was saying whole sentances and was referring to himself as 'I', e.g. he'd say, 'I see boat', 'I see cat', etc. By two he was starting to develop some odd quirks and habits in his speech, though.

~ Mel ~

Dan aged 6 walked at 11 1/2 months and talked fluently before the age of 2. His speech was amazing for his young age as was his memory :D

J started speaking at 7mnths and had a good vocabulary by a year old,( not always in context though), however the funniest thing i remember is when winding her at 8mnth she let out a huge belch, and shouted "Pardon"!

She began walking at 15mnth but remained rather unsteady until approx 2yrs, now she runs and chatters all day!

Can I again thank everone for their comments. Which from reading seems to around 15months on average for walking and a bit more split for talking. With one or two trying to talk as little as 6months. Again very interesting finding!

Andy

Grenman..

Edited by Greenman

Hi

Laura was walking well/running about by 11 months and could recite whole nursery rhymes and have a full conversation at 18 months - can't actually remember when she started either.

Gail

Luke did not walk in any way till he was 2 and a half years old. (Could never crawl)

He was talking properly at about 18 months.

M crawled at 12 months - then walked at 13 months (bit of a shocker for me!). Didn't/couldn't roll over until after 2..

His first word was hoover :blink: at 14 months. His speech was very clear, forming sentences by 16 months - but it was echolic in mature (his first sentence(s) were at 15 months - when he recited the book 'Peace at last' to me :huh: ).

Alot of his speech is still echolic - though it's becoming less now (8). He still finds it difficult to have a free-flowing conversation, although he's able to answer a question now, he normally just talks at me.

:)

J started speaking at 7mnths and had a good vocabulary by a year old,( not always in context though), however the funniest thing i remember is when winding her at 8mnth she let out a huge belch, and shouted "Pardon"!

LOL that is absolutely hilarious! Although it is also proof of just how much she must have understood at the time, to know that that's what you say when you've burped!

my son didnt walk till 18 month , was talking and singing much earlier around 8 months - hope this helps, is there a pattern emerging

It does seem there is again a pattern forming. From the postings it seem that most Aspies on the forum are talking very early and are late walkers! This strange because possible indicators of Autism Spectrum Disorders are:

* Does not babble, point, or make meaningful gestures by 1 year of age

* Does not speak one word by 16 months

* Does not combine two words by 2 years

* Does not respond to name

* Appears to be deaf or 'wanders'

Communication difficulties

By age 3, typical children have passed predictable milestones on the path to learning language; one of the earliest is babbling. By the first birthday, a typical toddler says words, turns when he hears his name, points when he wants a toy, and when offered something distasteful, makes it clear that the answer is "no."

Speech development in autism takes a different developmental path than in neurotypical children. Some autistics remain mute throughout their lives, while being fully literate and able to communicate in other ways ? images, sign language, and typing are far more natural to them. Some infants who later show signs of autism coo and babble during the first few months of life, but stop soon afterwards. Others may be delayed, developing language as late as the teenage years. Still, inability to speak does not mean that autistics are unintelligent or unaware. Once given appropriate accommodations, many will happily "talk" for hours, and can often be found in autism-focused chat rooms, discussion boards, or websites, or even using communication devices at autism-community social events such as Autreat.

Those who do speak often use language in unusual ways, retaining features of earlier stages of language development for long periods or throughout their lives. Some speak only single words, while others repeat the same phrase over and over. Some repeat what they hear, a condition called echolalia. Sing-song repetitions in particular are a calming, joyous activity that many autistic adults engage in. Many autistics have a strong tonal sense, and can often understand spoken language better if it is sung to them.

Some children may exhibit only slight delays in language, or even seem to have precocious language and unusually large vocabularies, but have great difficulty in sustaining typical conversations. The "give and take" of conversation is hard for them, although they often carry on a monologue on a favorite subject, giving no one else an opportunity to comment. When given the chance to interact with other autistics, they comfortably do so in "parallel monologue" ? taking turns expressing views and information. Just as neurotypicals are not designed to understand autistic body languages, vocal tones, or phraseology, autistics similarly have trouble with such things in neurotypicals. In particular, autistic language abilities tend to be highly literal; neurotypicals often inappropriately attribute hidden "meaning" to what autistics say or expect the autistic to sense such unstated meaning in their own words.

my son talked loads early on only i could understand him alot of the time but what he was trying to say was intelligent observant and complex, when he could be understood...but did blurt and talk inappropriatly alot , very narrow minded, focused on himself , loves mimicing and can mimick italian french and spanish , had an early understanding of these other languages

G walked on his first birthday, walking more confidently by 13mth.

I can't remember when he started to speak (although there is a diary upstairs somewhere) but do remember one of his first words was 'radiator' when he was tiny.

Pipsqueek was walking at 10 months (climbing at 11 months), didn't speak with any clarity until she was nearly 3, but any language assessments had to be done bi-lingually as she signs too, in sign, her vocab was way ahead.

Bat

Pipsqueek was walking at 10 months (climbing at 11 months), didn't speak with any clarity until she was nearly 3, but any language assessments had to be done bi-lingually as she signs too, in sign, her vocab was way ahead.

Bat

Hello,

Apologies for the later entry. Harry was walking at 10 months, but not talking coherently until he was about two and a half.

Janet

Hello,

Apologies for the later entry. Harry was walking at 10 months, but not talking coherently until he was about two and a half.

Janet

HI, No apologies for the later entry. It been interesting reading them all and on the other question I posted about left or right-handed Aspies.

Andy

Greenman

Damien ( AS ) was walking at 8 months i mean properly i could walk him to the shops and back he missed crawling altoghter and at 6-7 months was walking the furnature,

at 4 years he dismantled his frist VCR and reasembled it working! yet now they say hes stupid! hes not silly hes just not taught properley.

He was on solid foods and sma white at 5 weeks on health vistors orders because milk was no good for him.

His progress from young was very accelerated in general, but his behavouir was always very dificult.

His speach and language and comunication skills have never been good and he was a late talker . he is not always clear to understand his mouth dropps and he dribbles alot when talking.

and he was potty trained at 14 months completly and then............... nursery school playgroup and the rest of the education system got there hands on him now...he wont leave the house! he has very very low self asteam belives he is usless and no good, is bullyed because he becomes noisy screams and fustrated and they find it fun to watch him get distraught.....then he gets drag off by a teacher and punished so now has no faith in very little adalts.

Makes you wonder how to protect them when the law insists you send them to a place they are neglected in a way!

luv donna x

Edited by donnar

Damien ( AS ) was walking at 8 months i mean properly i could walk him to the shops and back

I recently saw a girl who surely wasn't yet anywhere near a year old do the same, we were having lunch at a sculpture park and my Mum went "Gosh I can't believe that baby there is walking!".