hev

why choose free from?

The first I heard about this was when I found a loaf of bread on my doorstep a couple of weeks ago. It was rather nice!

Genius is now also available on prescription.

Genius is now also available on prescription.

thanks for the heads up! I'll give it a bang then...

I saw Jamie making some quick yorkshires t'uther night... a cup of plain flour, a cup of milk and 1 egg in a blender, whizz up, then poor straight into hot tin... I've not had much success with G/F D/F yorkshires, so I'm gonna give that a go with Dove's Farm and ricemilk on sunday :thumbs:

:D

It depends if they are addicted to gluten or not. If they are addicted then trace amounts are a no-no (unless you give them tonic water as well).

Been gluten free for over 10 years now, quite easy for me as nutrition is my work and obsession so from the moment I studied grain I stopped instantly. With my clients they generally take a while longer to work through avoiding it. One thing I do always teach them is never to buy products from the gluten free aisle as sadly they are manufactured from various non foods to mimic what it is you really desire. If you read the ingredients and don't know what the things are, chances are your body will struggle to process it. If you must eat things like bread etc try older grains such as spelt and aim for sprouted versions. I would advise a period of abstinence though. When one considers how much gluten is in the modern diet on a daily basis its no wonder we struggle with it. Used infrequently some can tolerate it. Other sadly cannot.

We thought we'd have a try at a gluten free diet for a while and see if it helps at all.

Does anyone have any helpful tips or advice? I think it's going to basically mean cutting out all bread and pasta, and increasing rice & potato intake to compensate. Are there any other products I need to be specifically aware of? We're on a tight budget, so can't really afford to buy "gluten free" products

thanks

Kez,

I'd STRONGLY recommend cutting out ALL grains and grain products - we haven't evolved to digest them. I follow a way of life known as 'Primalism'; this means eschewing all foods our ancient ancestors never ate - and that includes ALL grains, legumes, dairy (though that's a grey area - some eat it, some don't (I eat goats' dairy as much as I can)) sugars (yep, I don't subscribe to all this 5-a-day nonsense).

Have a read of some of the articles here Mark's Daily Apple - Primal Blueprint 101 and you can make up your own mind.

Billy - you have the right idea, but I bet you still recommend 5-a-day! That can add up to as many as 150g of carbs a day - and it's CARBS which make you fat, NOT fat!

I'd recommend people read the following: -

Why We Get Fat (And What To Do About It) - Gary Taubes (his Good Calories, Bad Calories is also worth reading, but it has more of a scientific bent, so it might not mean much to those who don't have a scientific background)

The Primal Blueprint - Mark Sisson

Protein Power - Drs. Michael and Mary Eades

How I Ditched My Low-Fat Diet And Lost 40lb - Dana Carpender

There are many, many, many diseases and disorders caused by our consumption of grains (many of which have been blamed on the consumption of dietary fats): -

CHD

Insulin resistance

Type 2 diabetes

Stroke

IBS

Crohn's disease

Diverticulitis

Coeliac disease

The biggest myth of all is the cholesterol myth - there is no such thing as 'bad cholesterol' - this was invented by a guy called Ancel Keys (Google for his Seven Countries study).The consumption of grains (and all this nonsense about the consumption of whole grains, and particularly oats, preventing heart disease is bitterly ironic; by lowering LDL (the so-called 'bad cholesterol' you're raising triglyceride levels and it is this raising of triglycerides which causes CHD, stroke and type 2 diabetes - NOT the consumption of dietary saturated fat (which is actually essential for our wellbeing - as is cholesterol; the former is needed to protect our nerve and brain cells (there's a link between a diet low in saturated fat and Alzheimer's/dementia) and the latter is needed for the creation of blood plasma and new haemocytes (red blood cells). Besides our livers produce between 1200 and 1500mg of cholesterol a day, so what we consume in our food is really a drop in the ocean.)

It was Ancel Keys's work which led to the invention of statins - a cure for a problem which never existed in the first place; indeed, the irony is (as I've just outlined) by lowering cholesterol, you're INCREASING the chances of that person developing CHD!

My father is on 80mg Lipitor a day; I have seen the detrimental effects this has had on his health: - weight gain (he's gone from a 32" waist to a 38-40" in about 2.5 years) hearing loss.

The ironic thing is that one of the side effects is weight gain yet it is indicated for use in hyperlipidemia caused by type 2 diabetes!

Sorry, that developed into quite a rant again, but I REALLY do recommend reading those books (shame there aren't any similar British authors).

I've been banned from many a forum for recommending a low carb diet - I hope this isn't another! :D

Sarah xxx

The nice gluten free breads are very expensive, but it might be worth keeping one in the freezer for when there is nothing else.

If you buy gluten free flours to make your own cakes, that will still work out cheaper than buying ready-made ordinary cakes.

Other things to watch out for are sauces, gravies and things which might have flour added to thicken them. Soy sauce, worcester sauce, some vinegars and mustards, sausages and burgers, any kind of pre-prepared meals. Breakfast cereals.

You will need to read all the labels very carefully to start with, but you do get used to it in the end!

Why bother...? Ditch ALL grains altogether, it's FAR easier! What I didn't mention in my previous post is that we didn't evolve to eat grains - we cannot digest them (ever see sweetcorn in your, erm, motions..? That's the reason why! Our bodies simply don't know what to do with them - we only domesticated them around 10,000 years ago - that's a nanosecond in evolutionary terms). Not long enough for our bodies to develop mechanisms to deal with it.

That's why I mentioned it to you in regards to IBS, Tally. One of the things I've noticed since eschewing grains is my IBS has vanished.

That and the fact I've not had a cold for 3 years, despite being around those with streaming eyes and noses every winter.

I don't believe this to be coincidental...

Billy - you have the right idea, but I bet you still recommend 5-a-day! That can add up to as many as 150g of carbs a day - and it's CARBS which make you fat, NOT fat!

Sarah,

No I've never recommended 5 a day, I'm a CHEK Practitioner, Holistic Lifestyle Coach III and Advanced Metabolic Typing Advisor (amongst other things) and specifically test individuals to understand their needs and coach them through recognizing their reactions to the fuel/ratios they consume. I'm not a huge fan of low carb for the sake of it as I've seen many individuals suffering from various thyroid issues due to unstable blood sugars. I eat pretty low carb myself (due to the way my system works, my heritage etc) but its all about knowing what balance of fats, protein and carbohydrates that work well and make me vital and energized. Spent 10 years pouring over various research and was thrown out of a degree program for my refusal to engage in a one size fits all diet but I've never been mainstream and prefer honest nutrition.

Your on the right track with it all though and its refreshing for me to know theirs others out there aside from my clients and fellow practitioners. The one book I always recommend to change peoples views (has worked with even the most stubborn client that insists bread is essential, they need 5 fruits and veg or the insist poly unsaturated fatty acids are healthy).

Try Politically Incorrect Nutrition by Michael Barbee its a book that certainly stirs up reactions in people.

Edited by billycraig

eschewing all foods our ancient ancestors never ate - and that includes ALL grains, legumes, dairy... sugars

We-ell, if you look at the world that way, my ancesters also never ate potato, tomato, or any "exotic" fruit, no oils, sugar or yeast. If you are looking back to what was eaten over 10,000 years ago (when grains were "domesticated") then we're pretty much stuck with meat, berries and maybe a few herbs - and plenty of alcohol. Oh yes and an average life span of less than 40 years :rolleyes: That's a Thanks, but no thanks from me.

As I said in my OP, there is no indication of any food allergies, intolerances or triggers in my family, and after 6mths of gluten free I can say that it has ot amde one iota of difference to either OH's conditions (he had a massive flare a few months ago, wich was reduced back to manageablelevels by increasing his dosage of anti-TNFs) or DS who has had some really bad times and some beter ones over the 6 months - mostly affected by external factors and stresses.

I note that there are now mre studies coming out on GF/CF diets which are not showing any scientific evidence for their use in ASD (or other medical conditions except G or C allergies/intolerance):

Uni of Rochester May 2010

USNIH study April 2008

And also that a GF/CF diet in children can have some significant health implications.

So we will be reverting back to our "normal" diet of generally healthy eating, home made meals and minimal sugar, salt and processed foods, but without making food the focus of every part of the poor chuld's life :whistle:

yes, avoid anything that says 'flavouring' as it could be in a wheatflour base.

Tamari soy sauce is GF.

i hadnt realised flavouring could be risky.

The other day i found some gf/cf granola in sainsburys yummy, also tomato soup

and sweet sour rice.

Hello there! I too have gone gluten free and actually found it alot easier than i expected. I've been doing my own shopping for the first time in my life and my local supermarket had a small but varied enough selection for the main things like bread,pasta,cereal,cakes :thumbs:

I must admit i'm feeling quite a bit better, i also had my first job interview in quite a while the other day, and i'm feeling more motivated lately. I've been thinking lately about how much time i've allready wasted in life and that i really have to get out there and do something. I've also been to an agency to help touch up my C.V and stuff, and like i say i'm just feeling generally more motivated, and almost like i have things in check a little more and can priorotise better

Also can i suggest you look into vitamin b6/magnesium as i've also started doing that. I use a magnesium chloride spray and take a high strength vitamin tablet daily.

Edited by Goldenben

I notice when I eat normal pasta, i get bloated... the freefrom one doesnt. I just even tried eating jam tarts without milk in but it contains gluten and my stomach feels poorly, ate brown bread last night and tummy did same, ate burger if i want a take away i always make sure it has no cheese in it but the bun makes my tummy squeeze and bloats quickly . eating gluten free stuff my tummy is ok

i also get stomach problems when eating gluten and have found being off it completely to be beneficial to my life.

Before you go off gluten completely you might want to ask for a celiac test as it wouldnt work if you were off gluten.

If you do have celiacs you can get the gluten free stuff prescribed.

Just wanted to say that if your child gets a prescription for gf foods be warned many pct trusts are now following a flippin gov't guideline of either reducing or cutting their rights to have this on prescription. Its another bloomin austerity cut and they don't really care who it affects.

I ordered my sons gf prescription, his fresubin and his vit d supplements that he has on a repeat only to find that half his gf prescription has been cut in half. :(

Its gutting as I was not told at all that this was going to happen. Maybe the thought of paying out over £7 for a pack of 4 fresubin's and he has to have 1 a day was too much so they thought to cut his gf prescription part to make up for it. I am just so annoyed as when we went for the review a month back I thought because it was so expensive I would remove a couple of gf items myself from the prescription. If I had known they were going to take away half the prescription along with it I would have said stuff you then! I am just so peed off with it all.

Its just a constant battle, never ending.

He was prescribed these items by the consultant, a paediatrician, the dietician and finally the dr so it wasn't on a flippin whim but after careful consideration and now all of a sudden he can only have half????

I am wondering when they will be taking it all away from him! Its not fair on him. He is in final exam year and to take him off the diet will really put the spanner in the works as far as his concentration goes. He also suffers from inattentive attention deficit disorder and dyslexia with his autism. But it seems they have targets and they are far more important than the child.

I am now concerned as because he is on a special diet if they stop the prescription will the gov't then say he doesn't have the prescription and therfore not a proper coeliac dx then his dla will be cut also. It may seem a bit far fetched to assume this but the way this gov't is going we are not going to have any NHS system and no welfare system either.

Sorry rant over.

u know u can get gluten free stuff in freefrom aisle at the supermarket. i got told to stay away from gluten and try introduce it back in 2 months and said its ok cos i can get gf from supermarket. but got to be careful they dont contain 'milk', and can only contain 'soya'

I know you can get it from the supermarket aisle and I have been on top of his prescription. I just wanted to make aware to those who might get it via a prescription that the NHS are planning to cut this. In a time where finances are tight its a nightmare. Overpriced food from the supermarket really cuts into your budget.

To the original poster, DLA is based on what you need not what you get, so a cut in prescription wouldnt stop someone getting DLA.

Is there some sort of prescription you could write to try and change this for you and others?

Im also gluten free and havent been given a prescription 'because im not a celiac'. i make my own bread

and cakes also some of my own meals where I can.

Whats fresurbin?

Where did DLA come from Trekster? This post is to warn people about the cuts and I think also to have a justified winge about the unfairness of it.

Where did DLA come from Trekster? This post is to warn people about the cuts and I think also to have a justified winge about the unfairness of it.

See below final paragraph from OP writings.

"I am now concerned as because he is on a special diet if they stop the prescription will the gov't then say he doesn't have the prescription and therfore not a proper coeliac dx then his dla will be cut also. It may seem a bit far fetched to assume this but the way this gov't is going we are not going to have any NHS system and no welfare system either."

tally the person who made the above mentioned DLA to do with buying them food. but still the DLA is to do with care side, not about the food.

They were worried that their prescription cuts would mean they would loose their DLA.

yes i know... but the prescription wouldnt be part of DLA any way, it be ESA or something as thats what u have to show proof to NHS for dentists, chemists and stuff if that what u mean. but still that wouldnt affect it i dont think unless u have been stuck in WRAG group which will affect those being forced into work in the WRAG

Unfortunatley its the reality of the cuts. I guess if people are already getting DLA it may be seen as "too much" to have the prescriptions on top of this. If you think of it in another way by cutting back on your sons prescription means that someone who needs medicine, that they would otherwise be unable to afford,can get this without charge. Of course its not fair but with so many unemployed right now something has to be done.

They were worried that their prescription cuts would mean they would loose their DLA.

No, ksasnic is worried that the recession which has led to the prescription cuts will also lead to cuts in DLA. She is annoyed about the cuts. As I've already explained but you've chosen to ignore.

I don't know why you guys are insisting on going on about DLA, ESA WRAG groups when they are totally unconnected to gluten free prescriptions. Children can't claim ESA, and get free prescriptions anyway, and most certainly aren't going to get forced into working any time soon. Seriously, are you guys deliberately misunderstanding or what?

The post is about a child. ESA is only for adults because children are not expected to work anyway. Children get free prescriptions anyway and do not need to get ESA to get free prescriptions. The post is not about prescription charges, it is about how much GF food the child is allowed on prescription. It is very, very clear that the OP is annoyed that her child's GF food allowance has been cut, and wants to warn others that this may happen to them too.

If you read the whole post, instead of just one word of it, you will see it is a post about food, and not DLA.

i read it. look at this quote

I am now concerned as because he is on a special diet if they stop the prescription will the gov't then say he doesn't have the prescription and therfore not a proper coeliac dx then his dla will be cut also. It may seem a bit far fetched to assume this but the way this gov't is going we are not going to have any NHS system and no welfare system either.

kasnic quote

I remember a time when doctors could write prescriptions for almost anything.

When this was stopped, there were outcry from those who had benefited.

As the pressure on the public purse continues to grow it is likely GP will be under renewed pressure to reduce prescription cost. This is most likely to hit non drug items first, things that can be brought over the counter.

I don't know enough about GF food or the need for them to make any judgment, but I dare say there are some that would find it surprising that they are available on prescription at all.

I was recently prescribed a product by me GP that has the potential of improving the quality of my life. Unfortunately (for me) it is only available on private prescription, the cost being outside of what I would be able to afford on an ongoing basis I decided to do without.

Free NHS prescription are available to children, pensioners and those on low income. (In receipt of certain benefits or holder of an exemption card.) These are also entitled to free dental treatment, free eye test and a voucher toward the cost of glasses. This is unlikely to change.

When it come to things like DLA, it is likely that the level of benefit, and there structure, will be tweaked to reduce cost, and the eligibility criteria will be adjusted to reduce the number of those entitled.

PS. You don't stop having a medical condition (Gluten intolerance) because you cant get GF food on the NHS.

Edited by chris54

No, ksasnic is worried that the recession which has led to the prescription cuts will also lead to cuts in DLA. She is annoyed about the cuts. As I've already explained but you've chosen to ignore.

I don't know why you guys are insisting on going on about DLA, ESA WRAG groups when they are totally unconnected to gluten free prescriptions. Children can't claim ESA, and get free prescriptions anyway, and most certainly aren't going to get forced into working any time soon. Seriously, are you guys deliberately misunderstanding or what?

Your post is offensive and unhelpful, people dont deliberately misunderstand, the OP was worried the effects of the prescription cuts would cancel out the DLA, but as ive explianed to them they arent connected. Also i dont choose to ignore stuff!

I prefer cooking from scratch to be honest - better flavour, usually, and no hidden unknowns.

I've tried that method as well, for those that arent into cooking a slow cooker could be an option.

Bung in some safe foods in the morning add some water and leave for a couple of hours to cook.

When i 1st went gluten, dairy, aspartame, msg free i noticed the following changes;

1, craving meds that had lactose in them (when self harm tendencies were absent) so i switched to

a liquid version of risperidone when the benzoate badly affected me i went off risperidone completely.

2, craving nuts that had hidden lactose in them 'lemon and corriander cashew and macademia nuts'

3, craving bread like mad

4, a better appetite

5, after 6 years i was able to eat garden peas without gagging.

6, easier to use the loo

7, constant thirst disappeared

8, fibromyalgia appeared (one risk factor is coming off heroin and i was coming off the equavelent of such)

Also i was off red meat at the same time. The MSG i have occassionally and i try and limit soy as well.

Main reasons why it is so hard to test are 1, people dont know about the hidden ingredients so accidentally give

malt or oats or spelt, 2, people pressume something labelled as gluten free is 100% safe, 3, there are other

addictions such as corn or soy, 4, as it takes months for it to work for autistics people give up early.

The withdrawals are what can appear people getting worse.

http://www.gfcf.com/

There is also the possibility that something else is needed in addition/instead of dietary interventions.

omega 3 oils can help after 12 weeks with depression related symptoms. strawberries can help with

low motivational depression, taurine can help with sleep and side effects of swimming pools, probiotics

can help with some stomach related problems.