kazemporium

I'm mortified

Sams mum

Lisa I think kaz mentioned there is a child with AS in the pack so I still fail to see how discrimination is taking place here.

The discrimination is that the woman wouldn't have refused Kaz's son a place if he didn't have a disability. If he was NT, he would have got a place irrespective of whether she had a SN child in her pack already or not.

and its great your son was integratrated into the his pack so well but can you recall how many other children with ASD were in the pack or was he the only one, because I think more than one child would make a huge difference to how things can be managed. As would there abilities in general.

There were two ASD children in my son's pack, one had ADHD as well as AS and was quite hard work, plus there was another child who was deaf. They had the pack leader and two helpers. When my son went to beavers and cubs he wasn't receiving any additional support in school, he was coping quite well and he didn't have a statement. However he did still have a diagnosis of AS and hence he would have been refused a place at this pack had they the same attitude as this scout leader.

You say the child's abilities in general would make a huge difference but surely this is the whole point in this case. Kaz had told the scout leader her son was high functioning, she didn't anticipate he would need much help just an awareness when playing certain games. Still the leader refused even a trial.

you said,

ASD is a wide spectrum and there are many ASD 'special needs' kids in school who don't get any help at all,

jeez, there's me with a 16 year old profoundly autistic son and I swear I didn't know this kind of thing happened.

I'm sure you're well aware of this, I wasn't trying to tell you something you didn't already know. My point was if a child can cope with school, 5 days a week without support despite having a diagnosis of AS then they can cope with beavers or cubs and shouldn't be refused a place because they have AS. That is the discrimination. Each individual circumstance should be taken into consideration.

the majority of scout leaders welcome kids of all shape, size, colour and creed, disabled or not.

I couldn't agree more but as the brown owl of a non-uk based multinational/mulitfaith/mulitsized/multishaped pack I can't recall every having to provide the help to these children that a special needs child requires, especially one with the difficulties our children can have.

So, by the same token would it be acceptable to refuse a place to a French child because they may not be able to understand what was going on and may need a bit of extra direction to join in. Every French child is different, some speak good English, some none just like every AS child is different, some need a lot of help, some don't need any. Could you image the outcry if a scout leader said 'we already have one French child, we can't cope with any more' and refused a place despite the parent saying their child speaks good English and shouldn't have too much trouble understanding what's being said to them.

I think its great your son did so well at beavers etc but lets not forget that just because it worked so well for your son without very much intervention doesn't mean it will work for others the same way.

I'm sure it doesn't always work for others the same but surely until the child is given the chance to try they'll never know. Both my AS children would have missed out big time if they weren't given the opportunity because some scout leader heard the word AS and point blank refused to have them in their pack.

I'm not knocking you, I'm sure you do a fantastic job and are a very good brown owl. I know it isn't always practical to include a child with a disability particularly when you're overstretched as it is and barely cope with the adult to child ratio. I fully understand your point of view. I just think in this particular instance the scout leader handled it badly. If you really think about it, would you have done the same thing or would you have explained the situation and agreed to a trial on the condition that the parent stayed to help out. At least then if it didn't work out it would be fair and if it did everyone's happy.

Lisa

You worded that excellently thank you for your support, i am useless at expressing things. You have hit the nail on the head

:cheers:

I'm really glad you've been able to sort things out. Our girls go to Brownies, Pipistrelle has finished now and Pisqueak not long started, and i stay each week to support them. It's given them both a lot more confidence and they really do enjoy it.

Bat ;)

Kaz, I'm really glad you're son has a group to go to, here's to a great time for him. :) :)

Lisa, I'm sorry I don't have time to answer your post, me and mine have just survived cylone gonu and things are rather hectic here. A kind friend has given me 10 mins of his computer to send mails to those I need to re-assure as i'm still without water or electricity, but me being me had to have a wee peek at my autism groups. I really just can't help myself :rolleyes:

Son went for first time last week, he had a good time. He knew a few people there from school. Was shy for about 2mins. The leader got them into a circle and for about a min he seemed unsure, but this was purely because he didnt know what was goin on. She sat down and started to ask questions about hedgehogs, her first question she asked to the group he promptly put his hand up and replied. At this point i made my exit and returned at the end. I asked him if he had had a good time and he was reply was , no it didnt last for very long. Looks like he had such a good time, the time flew by and it wasn't long enough for him. Lets hope this week is as good.

Son went for first time last week, he had a good time. He knew a few people there from school. Was shy for about 2mins. The leader got them into a circle and for about a min he seemed unsure, but this was purely because he didnt know what was goin on. She sat down and started to ask questions about hedgehogs, her first question she asked to the group he promptly put his hand up and replied. At this point i made my exit and returned at the end. I asked him if he had had a good time and he was reply was , no it didnt last for very long. Looks like he had such a good time, the time flew by and it wasn't long enough for him. Lets hope this week is as good.

:thumbs::clap::clap::thumbs: