Dummie

Is it too early to ask if DS has SEN?

Hello

My son is nearly 2.5yrs old and is waiting for an appointment to see the MDA team, the SALT, orthoptics and audiology. He is not yet talking and shows many of the signs of being on the spectrum.

He has just started at a local nursery (in the 2-3yr olds class) and I was wondering if I should be looking at getting him assessed for SEN now. Or do we need to wait until he has seen the MDA team and has been assessed? Even if he is not diagnosed, he is certainly not developing within the normal range.

He will be 3yrs old at the end of Dec so will move up a class at the beginning of the Jan 08 term. The nursery has their own SENCO (who is located in the 3-5yrs old class).

Thank you.

Ivy

Hi I don't think it is too early to perhaps have a chat with the Senco-if only to raise any concerns and introduce yourself.It can take a long time to get asssessments etc done.Hence if nothing is done until a child is about to leave nursey it is difficult to get support in place in school.

There is recognition within the Code Of Practice that a pre-school child is accepted as having SEN if they have needs that it is recognised are likely to constitute SEN at a later point.

The Senco should be able to provide advice re whether your child may be able to have extra support in nursery and whether an MDA assessment is needed first.The nursey may also be able to provide info that will be useful for those doing the assessment Eg A view of how the nursery staff feel your child copes at nursery with other children etc.Karen.

I would say it's never too early to initiate a process of applying for a statement of special needs for a child if you believe they will need additional support in school/nursery. No diagnosis is required to start the process but the input can of course be helpful. I would make an appointment to speak with the SENCO when you can to discuss what they think is the best route to take.

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/docbank/index.cfm?id=3755 This brochure can be useful to some people.

My dd has an iep in nursery, i think it did help being under a SALT.

The iep has been in place now for 6months and currently on her 2nd iep, i spoke to the manager about whether dd could have one which was then put in place.

She has 2 targets sententce building and turn taking.

On the 2nd review i mentioned that i would like her to be seen by area senco which hopefully the manager will do in the autumn.

Shortly i should have another iep review where i would like to be included that she recieves 1-1 for language targets set out by the SALT and has to be removed from the class setting as she gets easily distracted.

I think that if this is recorded on her IEP, may show that she requires additional support

She is now 3yr old and already planning about what i want when she goes to school next yr so i thought that i might ask fro another home visit by the hv and ask them to monitor her who can then get the school nurse involved,

Only hope what im doing is right.