Sign in to follow this  
dooday24

weighted blankets!

has anyone used weighted blankets and did u find them helpful was thinking of getting reece one but wanted to find out if anyone else knew about them first. as they r abit expensive thanku

lv donnaxxx

has anyone used weighted blankets and did u find them helpful was thinking of getting reece one but wanted to find out if anyone else knew about them first. as they r abit expensive thanku

lv donnaxxx

Hi Donna I just had a look at the ones on ebay.I'm a machinist and I actually used to trade on Ebay pre ASD days!! I've reckoned up how much it would cost to actually make one of these and to be honest it actually works out cheaper to buy one off there :unsure: I ship all my fabric in from the States but by the time I get say 4yds of cotton and fleece (approx $20 + shipping) plus batting,plus pellets its not worth it... That said M LOVES his quilts I've made him and they are quite weighty so going on our experience Reece may enjoy having one.You could always look for a lap quilt as they are sometimes cheaper to buy and if you're going for a lightweight say 2-6oz they will have the same effect.If buying from the states watch the customs charges think if its over $30 you get charged excise duty.HTH Dee X

I bought one online from the US for my son, had a friend bring it over when she visited, and he hated it. He couldn't get to grips with what he was supposed to be doing with it. So it got put in a drawer to be tried again in a few months.

But the (NT?) woman that my friend stayed with here before coming to see me with it, got it out of the suitcase every night to sit with as she said it calmed her.

He couldn't sleep because he felt like he was floating like a astronaut in space as he was falling asleep. This was also the reason he'd waken so many times during the night, he was very distressed and said it was a terrible feeling and couldn't get back to sleep. One night I put a very heavy fleece blanket over his bed because he was shaking so much with nerves. He fell asleep and never waked tell the next morning. The next night I left the blanket on his bed and this was the first night he slept through-out the night. Continued this for several weeks and it was amazing.

Bought him a Canadian goose feather quilt from Argos heaviest tog i could find and he loves it. :thumbs:

Only have sleep problems now when we go on holidays and can't bring the quilt.

You can apply to charities to fund weighted blankets, I got some money from Cerebra to buy one for my dd, just waiting for it to arrive now to see if it works. I have high hopes because she likes to wrap herself up in a quilt rather than wearing clothes.

"It does exactly what it says on the tin" :jester::thumbs: . They are used for children with sensory issues, who like deep pressure, it calms them. C's OT recommended we get one for him. Haven't got around to it yet, but now summer's here I need to do something - he has a really heavy, thick duvet and the sweat is pouring off him as we speak!

If people don't mind me asking - can you not buy them in the UK, and how much do they cost?

Your right about the heavy duvet. We had to install air conditioning in his room to stop him smothering. His is the only room in the house that has it. So the duvet and the air conditioning wasn't very cost effective.

'But he sleeps.'

I don't know how much a weighted blanket costs try e-bay.

My friend sells makes them to order and sells on ebay, loads of different themed fabrics. They do work out quite expensive though (I think last time I checked they were �75 for the large ones) because it's expensive to get the materials.

Karen

x

My friend sells makes them to order and sells on ebay, loads of different themed fabrics. They do work out quite expensive though (I think last time I checked they were �75 for the large ones) because it's expensive to get the materials.

Karen

x

They were probably the ones I was looking at Karen tell her they look great!! I know how much work goes into something like that. If she needs any good fabric suppliers I have a *ahem* just a few on my favourites lol...I'm a bit of a fabric addict :whistle:

Hi Mandyque

Who are cerebra ?

Dolly

Cerebra is a charity who help brain-injured children and children with neurological conditions, autism is included in their criteria.

Here's a link:

http://www.cerebra.org.uk/Grants/

No problem, I'm glad to share the information I have with anyone who might need it :thumbs:

Could you give me the URL/address of your friend's Ebay shop please? �75 is still very cheap... compared to the American prices (and shipping)