Dummie

SALT - What can I expect?

Hello There

My son Aidan aged 2.5yrs was diagnosed with ASD last week. The paed who diagnosed him said his primary needs are SALT.

Aidan is not yet talking. 4-6mths ago his main way of communicating his needs were by hand-leading. There was limited babbling and no eye contact. Since then I've worked really really hard to teach him to be more vocal and to give eye contact and he will now babble and look at me when he has a need that needs to be met.

We saw the SALT today. Feeling very defeated as she said that his treatment with her will consist of her seeing him once every few months to follow up and coordinating with his nursery with advice. She said that 1-1 therapy doesn't usually start until after he is 3yrs old.

I have faught a long hard battle for the past year to get this far and am very aware how important early intervention is. When we got the diagnoses last week my reaction was 'OK - now lets get on with treating him!' but today to hear that SALT won't start until he's 3yrs old has really hit me hard.

Can anyone advise what I should/can expect. Has anyone's LO received SALT before they were 3yrs old?

By highlighting the importance of early intervention - what does early intervention mean? Simply observing? What kind of treatments/therapy does early intervention include?

Thank you in advance for your replies and advice.

Ivy

I tried to reply yesterday but the leccy went off in the storm.... then I forgot!

I was only going to say that, in my cynical opinion, that in the USA / Australia early intervention means a therapy center or a host of professionals providing therapy for the individual. Here it seems to mean " we'll only notice / recognise you child's problems after 5 and then if there is any support in your area you will have to fight for it!."

I have heard of 2yr waiting lists due to SaLT shortages. I'm surprised that with the dx the SaLT hasn't tried to get you into PECS at the very least. Perhaps the nursery could push for more SaLT intervention too?

Good luck,

A x

Edited by aro