Sign in to follow this  
fiorelli

editing posts.

How do I edit a previous post? Anyone? I am sure there used to be an 'edit' button next to the posts I posted (iykwim!), but I can't seem to find one anymore!

Hi Fiorelli and anyone else who's wondering about this,

There's now a 24 hour time limit for editing posts, so you won't be able to do anything to a post which is more than a day old.

Sorry if this seems like a hassle, it's just so that we're aware of what's being taken out, added or changed in case it affects the thread as a whole and adjustments or explanations need to be made.

If you would like anything changed, pm me or one of the other mods and we'll happily do it for you.

K x

Hi Smiley,

Is it the length of the time limit you don't like, or the fact that the edit facility is restricted at all?

Many forums have a time limit for editing, and some have a very short time window - 2 or 3 hours, for example. On one forum I used to post on, the limit was 2 minutes, so 24 hours is quite generous.

Sometimes people go back to threads that are months old, and edit or remove posts they have made, and nobody knows it has happened unless they happen to come across the thread. Often people change things they have posted for reasons of privacy, or because circumstances have changed, and that's understandable. But doing that can make the rest of the thread incoherent, for example if people have replied to an opening post that's no longer there, or is altered. This can be frustrating for people trying to follow the threads later on. If posts are removed, there may need to be an explanation, or the thread may even need to be deleted. The time limit just helps us to know what's going on, and to make any adjustments and explanations necessary in old threads, just as we do in active ones.

Hope this explains things, happy to discuss it if not,

K x

Edited by Kathryn

When did this happen? Surely as members of the forum 'community' we should have been made aware of this change collectively.

I have no problem with the time limit, that is your prerogative as forum owners/moderators, it is more a problem that changes are made, and no-one is made aware of those changes - especially when you think of the disabilities/challenges that members on here face regarding changes.

When did this happen? Surely as members of the forum 'community' we should have been made aware of this change collectively.

I have no problem with the time limit, that is your prerogative as forum owners/moderators, it is more a problem that changes are made, and no-one is made aware of those changes - especially when you think of the disabilities/challenges that members on here face regarding changes.

Hi fiorelli -

Yes, we should have posted beforehand - a bit of a 'left hand-right hand' thing, I'm afraid... :(

We actually had a forum topic on this subject some time ago, and then other stuff come up which put it on the back burner...

Then admin noticed that it'd been overlooked and made the changes, but because it was sort of old business that got overlooked...

So apologies all round for that :oops: and again we'd reiterate that personal editing is still available for 24hrs, and that we (mods/admin) can still make changes by request beyond that time period, while ensuring that the relevant thread remains accessible and continues to 'make sense' for new readers .

L&P

BD (for and on behalf...yada yada yada etc etc... :) )

To be honest, I feel the same about the fact that the list of the day's members on line has been moved to the bottom of the page.

I completely understand that sometimes the Admin needs to change things for whatever reason...but I don't understand why the members can't just have a brief post to forewarn us.

As Fiorelli days, the very nature of this forum means that there are going to be a lot of members who find unexpected change quite challenging :(

Don't want to sound as though I'm grouching, just... :(

Bid

To be honest, I feel the same about the fact that the list of the day's members on line has been moved to the bottom of the page.

I completely understand that sometimes the Admin needs to change things for whatever reason...but I don't understand why the members can't just have a brief post to forewarn us.

As Fiorelli days, the very nature of this forum means that there are going to be a lot of members who find unexpected change quite challenging :(

Don't want to sound as though I'm grouching, just... :(

Bid

Hi bid/all -

From what Kris has said that was an unexpected side-effect of a standard forum update:

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...mp;#entry157498

Those sorts of version updates go on all the time and shouldn't effect how the board looks and acts - they are purely security updates and stuff like that as happens with your antispyware/antivirus programmes and 'windows updates'.

It is horrible though, so lets hope the next general update fixes the glitch this one put in!

L&P

BD :D