Sign in to follow this  
KarenT

Friendship

I'm looking for a good book/workbook about making and developing friendships to use with J. He's 8 and a half, no friends to speak of but thinks he's got loads, leaving his current school at the end of term and starting a new, smaller and hopefully friendlier one in September.

I've been using this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Be-Friend-Frie...873&sr=1-15

which is really nice but I think we need something else.

J's been part of a social skills group at school since February and has learned a lot about approriate approaches etc, but he's getting frustrated that his attempts to interact with other children aren't always met with the responses that he's come to expect will automatically happen. The implication is that if you ask nicely if you can join in a game you'll be accepted, but J's had some horribly rude rejections and I want to help him deal with that by coming up with some appropriate responses to use.

Any suggestions out there?

Karen

x

Hi Karen sorry i dont have any suggestions but am bumping this up in the hope that someone else will have because they would certainly be of use to me and my 8 yr old too. Mrs F x :D

Edited by mrs fussy

No answers I'm afraid but at least 2 out of 3 of my children could do with the advice.

Louise

Yep, another one here who could really do with a good book. My 13 year old is going on a social skills course every afternoon of next week, but it's not going to be a miracle cure. He hasn't a single friend and not much clue about how to make one either. We're still struggling to get him to learn the basics, like mirroring people's questions, i.e. 'what's your name?' He'll answer with his name but still 'forgets' to ask back, even after all these years of coaching! :unsure:

~ Mel ~

There is a book called: Aspergers - what does it mean to me? It was recommended to me by a professional and it has worksheets and chapters on many topics including friendship. I bought my copy from Amazon

Some further info:

Aspergers.... what does it mean to me (a workbook explaining self awareness and life lessons to the child or youth with high functioning autism and aspergers. Catherine Faherty is the author, ISBN188547759-7

It is a workbook for the child and the parent/ teacher to look through and complete TOGETHER (not just advice for parent/ teacher).

Chapter 1 covers topics such as "how to use the book", "strengths and talents", "autism is a thing about me", "what is autism", "Why do I have autism" and "was I born with autism".

Other chapters cover "ways of thinking", "The sensory experience", "Artistic talent", "people", "understanding", "thoughts", "communication", "school""friends", "feeling upset"

Many topics are covered within each chapter, pages which are a workbook for child and parent/ teacher to complete, and also some guidance and info. for parents and teachers to read about how to introduce the topic and work with the child to help them learn.

Edited by westie