Claire T

Has anyone read?

Hi there - this is the first post I have done on this site but have been reading others people's for weeks!

I just wanted to ask if anyone had read a book by Dr Natasha Campbell-Mcbride called Gut and Psychology Syndrome?

Many thanks

Claire

Hi Summertime

Yes it is related to leaky gut syndrome - What are your thoughts about it?

There is a diet to follow in Dr Campbell-Mcbrides book which is based on the Specific Carbohydrate diet but it also excludes all diary initially.

My son who is 2 1/2 has an extremely limited diet and I just have no idea how I could even try to impliment the diet.

I would be really interested to know if anyone else has tried this type of diet and what sort of results if any they have had.

Cheers Claire

Hi Clare - don't know this book personally or the ' Specific carb' diet you mention, but there is loads in this section of the board on GF/DF diets and additives etc, which all tie in...

This is one of the longest threads i could find quickly:

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=1495

The 'theory' is pretty simple really; gluten and casein both contain long chain molecules that are almost identical to morphine, which produces 'autistic' type behaviours when ingested...

For most people, natural enzymes in the gut break down those long chain molecules naturally, but there are various reasons (leaky gut being one of them) why this might not happen effectively for some people, and the morphine like compounds could then cross the 'blood/brain barrier'... that's a huge oversimplification, ('cos i'm overly simple!) but roughly fits the bill!

Theory makes sense, and changing my son's diet has certainly helped him (see the various threads), but some of the more radical claims scare the bejesus out of me and don't seem to make 'scientific' sense either (particularly with regard to 'trace elements' and compromised diet regimes)...

Hope that's helpful

L&P

BD :D

Hi Claire

I've read 'Gut and Psychology Syndrome' and 'Breaking the Vicious Cycle' (by Elaine Gottschall) and attempted to do the diet, but had to give up due to non-compliance. At the moment I'm doing Gluten and Casein free with my two ASD boys (8 and 4), but try to limit the amount of refined carbs (as they'd live on little else, given the choice).

I first attempted the SCD diet with my boys after trying GF/CF and feeling that we weren't progressing very far. There had been an initial improvement, but then things levelled off and they were still horribly restrictive in their eating habits. We managed about a month of SCD altogether, but after that time the novelty of almond and honey cakes really wears off and they were thoroughly fed up of it.

As far as results are concerned - there did seem to be an improvement on top of that gained by just doing GF/CF, but I didn't feel that the gains justified the cost (boys missing out on nice food).

Edited by Elaine

Hi Elaine

At last! - someone else who's read the book. I've also read breaking the vicious circle and found it very interesting.

It was interesting to hear how you found actually implimenting the diet - I just can't see how my son would survive when he eats so little food already and most of that cannot be eaten on the diet!.

Thanks for taking the time to let me know your experience.

Claire x

hi claire and i couldnt help notice you come from huntingdon is that cambridgeshire. as that is where my sister lives

lv donnaxxxxxx

hi claire and i couldnt help notice you come from huntingdon is that cambridgeshire. as that is where my sister lives

lv donnaxxxxxx

Hi Donna

Yes it is cambridgeshire - I actually live in a town called Ramsey which is out in the fen's in between Huntingdon and Peterborough.

Is your sister a Fen girl aswell?

love claire x

I saw the title of the thread so thought I'd post hear instead of starting a new post.

Has anyone read anything by temple grand in I've seen her on you tube in a couple of videos but wondered if anyone had read any of her books and if so what they thought about them. I haven't read any myself at least so far.

I've read quite a few articles written by her. Apart from studying autism, her big special interest is one that I could never have for seeing animals killed would send me into a screaming meltdown, but at least she has helped to make that gruesome and unecessary process somewhat more humane. Her type of autism is very different to mine, but her writing can be quite inspiring, and she seems to know the subject well.

I've read quite a few articles written by her. Apart from studying autism, her big special interest is one that I could never have for seeing animals killed would send me into a screaming meltdown, but at least she has helped to make that gruesome and unecessary process somewhat more humane. Her type of autism is very different to mine, but her writing can be quite inspiring, and she seems to know the subject well.

That's one aspect I couldn't cope with either the slaughter of animals for some it's exceptable and necessary but to me I couldn't cope with that either. She does appear very knowledgeable but her approach to autism I'm not sure if I understand but maybe that's because we have different perspectives but I think she is a good ambassador for autism.

I think I will search out some of her material and get to know more about her when I've finished my current book.