Minx

Yet another incident

Hi

I do not mean to moan, but I have had another incident at school yesterday. My six year old son Adam who is six was found pushing another boy yesterday. As usual it was at dinnertime, when he has no supervision. The teacher spoke to me last night and put it down to his medication. I think this is just an excuse, as Adam only takes asthma medication. I mentioned it again today and told them it was not due to this and they said we will see.

It looks like we are heading for trouble if he does anything else.

I feel the school are blowing it out of proportion yet again.

Mandy

Hi

The school should know that it's times like playtime and dinnertime that can cause great difficulties for ASD children. Sounds like he may well get overexcitable. In addition, I know with my son, there's one particular kid in his class who is a year older than the rest who really knows what buttons to push in terms of winding him up. Problem is that if R lashes it, it's a much bigger issue because he often loses control whereas others are perhaps more in control of their emotions. Whilst kids will be kids and to a point allowances have to be made, but by the same token ASD kids find these times difficult and need supervision. They're not doctors and shouldn't be making excuses for their failings (not the medication).

Best wishes

Caroline

when steve was in primary i was called in all the time about incidents,i used to dread picking him up,one incident was about him flicking an elastic band!!fancy calling me in for that,when i look back i wish i had taken steve out of his primary school sooner,they just hadent a clue how to deal with him

when steve was in primary i was called in all the time about incidents,i used to dread picking him up,one incident was about him flicking an elastic band!!fancy calling me in for that,when i look back i wish i had taken steve out of his primary school sooner,they just hadent a clue how to deal with him

Did you take your son out of his primary school? Did he attend a special school? I think this is something we will have to consider in the future.

Mandy

about laggy bands,

I was in the supermarket last week and J found one in the isle and then stretched it long and aimed at my bum as I was bending down looking at some item, other shoppers where watching but instead of looking disaproovingly, they had wide grins on their faces and so J continued to stretch and aim. :devil:

J then let go of the laggy band and it twanged hard against my bum, :blink:

I yelped really loudly :crying: and saw J was acting very suspisous :devil: and saw the laggy band on the floor as I soothed my bottom, I said to J

" oy dont dont do that, it hurts" I certainly wasnt laughing, :shame: but other peoples husbands where chewing thier lips :rolleyes: as they found it totally hilerous :lol: and thier wifes where elbowing their arms to stop sniggering "you will get the poor lad in trouble" before blurting out a restrained laugh themselves, :lol: I looked around and loads of smiling faces tried to distract themselves, :rolleyes: as I wasnt really happy about what had happened, but looking back it was funny! :D

JsMum

Hi

I do not mean to moan, but I have had another incident at school yesterday. My six year old son Adam who is six was found pushing another boy yesterday. As usual it was at dinnertime, when he has no supervision. The teacher spoke to me last night and put it down to his medication. I think this is just an excuse, as Adam only takes asthma medication. I mentioned it again today and told them it was not due to this and they said we will see.

It looks like we are heading for trouble if he does anything else.

I feel the school are blowing it out of proportion yet again.

Mandy

your son will continue to stuggle at unstructured times if the staff show this much concern, J always struggles in playtimes and dinnertimes, and there is things the school can do to help support him, but even with that in place he is still finding it all very overwhelming, and we are too looking at special school for secondary school.

National Autistic Society have some small leaflets about unstructured times for pupils with ASD its very informative and gives good recommendations the school should do to help the transition from may be a more sedate classroom to a lively playground and how that can cause difficulties for those with an ASD.

I recommend you request these leaflets and there is a few of them, one for the classroom, one for the playground and dinnertimes.

by the sounds of it a lot more could be in place to help your son at playtimes.

is he in any social building groups?

JsMum