Sign in to follow this  
invent 10 things b4 breakfast

Slang... Is it Sik?

My son was creating something during art at school this week and the other kids all crowded round telling him his model was "sik". apparently he got really upset and thought they were saying it as rubbish, when in fact they thought it was really cool. The SENCO luckily was taking the lesson and managed to sus out what was going on, but had she not this would of troubled him for a long while.

I have tried googling for a list of the current slang kids are using but the slang dictionany is VAST! How are our kids suppose to understand their peers when they can't even get to grips with the "English" language!

Anyone else found this or anyone got a short list of the most common recent words?

My son was creating something during art at school this week and the other kids all crowded round telling him his model was "sik". apparently he got really upset and thought they were saying it as rubbish, when in fact they thought it was really cool. The SENCO luckily was taking the lesson and managed to sus out what was going on, but had she not this would of troubled him for a long while.

I have tried googling for a list of the current slang kids are using but the slang dictionany is VAST! How are our kids suppose to understand their peers when they can't even get to grips with the "English" language!

Anyone else found this or anyone got a short list of the most common recent words?

I'm really sorry that I can't help. but I can sympathise! My 16 year old is bilingual standard Englisk/teenspeak and usually offers a translation service for me. Several of her peers seem to use leetspeak in normal conversation, and I struggle to pass on messages sometimes. Dictionaries don't help as teenspeak is contextual and alters region by region and by subgroup. What you need is a teen acquaintance who will translate for you. Many parents are in the same situation you are!

Can't help with this one although I take a close interest in current trends in English - it's part of my job. I'll try and track this one down. :unsure:

K x

There is a useful list at the bottom of this interesting article:

Teen-Speak

I find language very difficult - I would have taken sik to be bad and got upset as well - finally an advantage to not being (quite) so young!

Mumble :)

apparently when i make R steak it is sik !makes me feel very old as well you are not alone in not being able to understand this talk!! oh to be young again eh!

How confusing. I think I would have been upset too.

But it is good that they were complimenting your son!