Sign in to follow this  
mum22boys

Updating DLA...

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has actually phoned and updated their DLA after recieving a diagnosis ?

M was diagnosed ASD several months ago and on his report his consultant said she recommeded we update his DLA. He has only recently been awarded it again and this time for the next 3 years.

Will it make any difference if we update it. Do we run the risk of losing any of it? The report clearly states all M's problems and lack of sense of danger etc.

Do we just leave it or ring them? Any thoughts, anyone done this?

mum22boys

I personally would update DLA with the recent diagnosis as they may of not taken into consideration his previous medical conditions until there is something in black and white, and it is a change so you need to do tell them that he is now diagnosed, if anything it adds evidence and can only be positive and yes it may stay the same or it could even be increased with mobility taken into account as well because of the safety awareness issues he has.

So for this reason I would update the DLA because if you dont they then could be difficult when it comes to renewal in three years time.

JsMum

I think you would have to redo the form again to update them and who knows with the dla whether they would uprate it or down rate as i feel they are a law to themselves.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Clintess, That is why i am hesitant in phoning them up, i don't want to go through applying again when we have been sucessful. I agree they are a law unto themselves.

My forms have always been filled out with help from the money advisory unit so i am thinking perhaps i should ask them what they think.

mum22boys

AJ's DLA was awarded until he 16, but like you I haven't updated it since his ASD dx in Jan. All of the difficulties documented in his DLA claim are because of his ASD and not ADHD(his original dx), so the only thing that's changed is his dx. I am reluctant to update incase they want me to fill the forms in again, despite his DLA having another 4 years to run. I think I may have to look into it and keep an eye on this thread.

Hi I would go with maybe using an reputable agency that supports parents with benefits, Our carers centre offer help and advice and they may also know more on updating DLA, also Contact a Family are very knowledgable about DLA as are The National Autistic Helpline who may offer more practicle assistance.

I hope the decision isnt too hard and that something gets sorted out soon where it doesnt effect the Ammount you are entitled too.

JsMum