Sign in to follow this  
mrs fussy

Anger Management

Hi does anyone know how i would get information on anger management suitable for an 8 year old, or does anyone personally have any experience of this, any help greatly appreciated. Mrs F x

Hi

My 14 yr old has had huge anger management problems since he was small. I have always been very upfront about it and over the years have had very little help. The school has brought in the Behaviour support lady who worked with him for a few sessions - that did nothing. CAMHS have been a complete waste of time with him. I have just started him with a private child psychologist in the hope that she can get through to him. He has only had one session so far so it is early days. Whats important is that he now acknowledges that he has the problem and wants to do something about it. I'm not sure whether that will work at age 8 but you have to pursue every avenue that you can and make people aware that it is a big part of ASD.

Hope that helps a little bit!!

Stella

Hi Mrs F,

The centre for child mental health in Islington may be able to give you information that you need.

www.childmentalhealthcentre.org

They may be able to suggest books too that are helpful

My son when he was at Junior school had anger management through the school nurse who had been trained by the local child psychologist.

She used Pokemon characters to help explain feelings etc.

Hope the link is helpful

Mand.

Hi does anyone know how i would get information on anger management suitable for an 8 year old, or does anyone personally have any experience of this, any help greatly appreciated. Mrs F x

My son had a course of Cognitive Behaviour therapy for anxiety with the occupational therapist.... I'm certain the same sort of therapy can be delivered for anger management... perhaps you could check with your local CAMHS who would run this sort of course for kids in your area.

Flora

Hi All,

I think my NT boy (he is a middle boy as well!) may benefit from anger management- he is a lovely boy but I think it is becoming too much for him (8 years) being the younger sibling of a very dominating older brother who is asperger. It is just getting so frustrating :wallbash: for him that he is becoming louder and less patient day after day. He also burst into tears very easily :crying: .

I am sorry for not offering any advice but I just wanted to highlight that any resources in this area will benefit all our children AS, ASD or NT.

Pragmatic

- any suggestions welcome here too -

There are programmes that can be used for 8 year old's, one we have used is "Volcano in my tummy." Explaining about anger and how it is a natural emotion, but it is what we do when we are angry, and the effect that can have that can cause problems.

We are currently going to see a psychologist with our DS (but too early days to see what they can do to help).

What about cognitive behaviour therapy - has anyone found this helpful for dealing with our kids anger and frustrations?

At a loss ourselves and sometimes so desperate and scared about the future.

We are currently going to see a psychologist with our DS (but too early days to see what they can do to help).

What about cognitive behaviour therapy - has anyone found this helpful for dealing with our kids anger and frustrations?

At a loss ourselves and sometimes so desperate and scared about the future.

Ditto. We have asked for cognitive behaviour therapy for DS1, which is supposed to be good for those with Asperger's, but it's not available in our area. He's been seeing the psychologist re his anxiety and anger for some time now but progress is very slow.

Lizzie

Ditto. We have asked for cognitive behaviour therapy for DS1, which is supposed to be good for those with Asperger's, but it's not available in our area. He's been seeing the psychologist re his anxiety and anger for some time now but progress is very slow.

Lizzie

Have been to a few sessions now and they are going along the "mummy willl come with you, lets really talk about it and write some very specific social stories angle"......

I dont feel very confident!

Perhaps I am being defeatist, but it is nothing we haven't tried before.

What is CBT, how long does iot take to really get a handle on a persons difficukties and doea it have a good success rate?

Has anyone employed a private psych who has been able to make a real difference to your/your child's life?

still looking for answers!

Hi All,

I think my NT boy (he is a middle boy as well!) may benefit from anger management- he is a lovely boy but I think it is becoming too much for him (8 years) being the younger sibling of a very dominating older brother who is asperger. It is just getting so frustrating :wallbash: for him that he is becoming louder and less patient day after day. He also burst into tears very easily :crying: .

I am sorry for not offering any advice but I just wanted to highlight that any resources in this area will benefit all our children AS, ASD or NT.

Pragmatic

Just wanted to agree with this as my 10 year old (NT) could definately do with anger management........... he gets so frustrated cos of Mike and the day to day issues.

Sorry I can't help but I think so many of us have the same sort of issues x

>:D<<'>

Schools that have learning mentors should be able to help with anger management programmes. I've just spent the summer term on a placement with a learning mentor team in a secondary school. We did a lot of anger management work. So it might be worth contacting school - particularly if anger causes problems at school. For me, my son manages to control himself at school, then it all bursts out the minute he gets home. I agree with Sue as my NT son gets older he seems to be developing more anger to do with some of the issues that arise. I went on an NAS Supporting Siblings seminar and it really made me look at my expectations of him and I've been able to work on a few things in that area.

very basically - CBT - is looking at the area of concern and trying to change the thought process that makes it happen. Rather than spending a lot of time looking at past history. That is extremely basic and someone else might be able to explain it better. I am not sure of the success rate.

juney

Edited by Juney