Sign in to follow this  
josie h

Should we consider medication?

we are currently going through a really hard time with aggression, and are waiting to go to see the GP for advice. We are not sure whether to consider trying medication, as there are times, especially at school when C, nearly 13 and has high functioning autism, when he becomes very physical and has to be restrained. we are concerned that there may be adverse affects on his school work, but need to decide whether it's more important to keep him calm and in school, or to continue as we are, with suspensions and lots of bad days. Please give me some advice on this. i know it may not even happen, but i need to know i am doing the right thing. :unsure:

hi josie

medication is such a personal thing that no-one can tell you what to do. i can tell what we did though.

when it was first mentioned that G be medicated we said absolutely not. we didn't feel it was the way to go for him and us. we had read up on it (probably too much) and were truly against it. however his school work was suffering, and he was always unhappy. after nearly a year and lots of talking to our wonderful camhs person we decided to give it a trial run.it was one of the hardest decisions we have made. we discussed it with G and he agreed to give it a go. that was 11 months ago and we haven't looked back. we can see the difference it has made and more importantly so can he. he is much calmer and his school work/life has improved dramatically.

get as much info as you can and i think my piece of advice to you would be, to be open to any suggestion and only take things further if you are sure that is what you want to do. don't be rushed into anything, read any info offered and discuss with partner/child (if appropriate), then make a decision. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Josie H

The usual drug for aggression is risperidone (Risperdal). There are a good deal of threads here about it.

Unfortunatey, as your son is not 16, your GP would not be able to prescribe it. Does your son see a psychiatrist or paediatrician?

Barefoot