Sign in to follow this  
kirstie

cerebral palsy

Hello everyone,

I know this isn't ASD thread but i know that some of you here have children with cerebral palsy and i wondered at what point did you know something was different? And after your initial visit with a neurologist how long did diagnosis take and what tests were done to get to dx? I'm sorry i don't mean to be intrusive but i have concerns my 2 yo, no i'm actually pretty sure he has mild spastic hemiplegic cerebral palsy and i am in much need of advice.

Hi Kirsty -

Can't help personally, but thought the scope website might be useful:

http://www.scope.org.uk/index.shtml

Had a very quick look at their forum board and they use the same one as us, so you should be able to find you way around OK!

Hopefully some other members here will have personal experiences to share too. Hope you find some answers >:D<<'>

L&P

BD :D

Thanks Lindy and BD,

I will check that link out in a moment, thanks for that.

I don't know whether i'm coming or going at the moment- i'm sure i'll meet myself in the middle somewhere soon.....

I am back to the same feeling i had when Lewis was diagnosed of who do i blame, why has this happened? It's quite heart-wrenching, but as he is only mild i suppose he has every chance of progressing well witha little help. That word MILD, if i hear that again i think i'll scream.

Thanks again guys.

We knew something wasn't right from about 5 months, by 8 months she wasn't rolling or sitting unsupported, our HV just kept doing the "so this is your first child?" routine with us :angry: But when we moved our new GP refered her to Pead straight away. We saw her at 12 months and was told dd was hypermobile and did not have CP (had never crossed our minds :blink: ) Then around her 2nd Birthday the Pead dx'ed her CP (Ataxia, right side worse than left). MRI's done at 4 yrs showed a large loss of white matter in the brain, apparently she should have been born flat with that damage but she scored 9 then 10 Apgar and didn't need scbu despite coming at 35/6 weeks.

Hope that helps

A x

Thanks Aro,

Aiden was born at 38 weeks by induction, he was distressed and had the cord wrapped around his neck but didn't need resus and his apgars were ok, he was diagnosed with laryngomalacia not long after (floppy larynx) and needed help at times with feeding but he is much better with that now although you can still hear it if he has a tantrum( and there are many!!)

He didn't sit up untill his first birthday and didn't crawl untill he was around 16 months (he was more like a sniper though!) then pulled up to his feet around 18 months and i knew for definate something was wrong as he can't put his left foot to the floor, when he started walking at aroung 21 months it was so apparent something wasn't right. I have seen an orthopedic doctor and he has referred us to a neurologist. I hope i am wrong but i think from what i can tell he has hemiplegic CP as only one limb is affected and his speech too.He is also very clumsy and falls over constantly. He has only just started to say Mum dad, hiya etc but mostly screams when something is wrong. A lot of his behaviours remind me of Lewis with his AS but i know he isn't on the spectrum. I have the old gut feeling again.....

Also i have read that a mother who has cytomeglovirus infection during pregnancy can cause CP, but ihad the primary infection 11 years ago (it caused my stillbirth) so i'm not sure if that has any bearing on this. Questions questions! :tearful: