Sign in to follow this  
Alyth_mum

Educational transport

Both my boys are supposed to go to school next term by taxi paid for by the education transport department.

Since it is 2 weeks tomorrow that my crowd go back to school and I've heard nothing I phoned Educational Transport at about 9.30am this morning. I was told that all the letters were put in the post on Friday but if I gave them their names they would look up details for me.

ES - who has had a taxi for the last 3 years; school 20+miles away - no problems. Everything organised : a new taxi firm again but other than that no real change.

YS - new run as he is changing schools to one 18 miles away - no such luck. Nothing in their records ; they've never heard his name before.

The taxi was agreed by the LEA SEN Boss in Perth when they offered me YS's Autistic Base Pacement.

So I contacted the LEA SEN Department : Boss on holiday - of course. Spoke to very helpful assistant who took down all the details and phoned me back within the hour.

Assistant:'Mrs M, Did you return the transport form?'

Me:'What form? I have never receieved any forms or letters confirming his placement in any shape or form.'

Assistant:'Ah that could explain it - you have to fill in a form to get transport.'

Me: 'Can you e-mail it to me?'

Assistant (shocked voice):'Oh no we can't do that. I'll put it in the post to you today'

So we'll wait and see what happens..... glad I started chasing it now and didn't wait until next week.

Education transport obviously did put the letters in the post on Friday for ES - postie delivered it at 10.30am today.

Oh why isn't anything easy???

I was lead to believe that transport was all sorted without a fight - SEN Boss agreed to transport provision straight away at the placement meeting - knew it was too good to be true.

Louise :unsure:

It looks like clerical incompetence rather than having a fight on your hands to agree funding.

:wallbash:

" The taxi was agreed by the LEA SEN Boss in Perth when they offered me YS's Autistic Base Placement."

Did you get the agreement in writing, or was it minuted at the time? If so, there shouldn't be any problem about payment, the taxi firm will have to wait and argue instead of you. :angry:

"So we'll wait and see what happens..... glad I started chasing it now and didn't wait until next week."

Well done you for double-checking, it's a nuisance but that's officialdom for you.

What right hand? Didn't know I had one...style of record keeping.

:star:

Trouble is that until Education Transport have him(YS) on their books no taxi will be allocated to him.

This is the same Education Transport who also book the school buses to and from school as well as transport for things like swimming etc.

Louise

Trouble is that until Education Transport have him(YS) on their books no taxi will be allocated to him.

This is the same Education Transport who also book the school buses to and from school as well as transport for things like swimming etc.

Louise

:o:angry:

So you are going to be kicking up a fuss for the forseeable future! What idiots!

I'll give them 48 hours for the form to arrive and them they will be phoned again .... if the worse comes to the worse I will drive to the LEA office in Perth and filling the form there and then.

They won't like me is I put my 'angry' head on.:angry: I promise to stay polite .... maybe sartistic (? sp) but polite. :devil:

Well the form arrived this morning and has been filled in and put back in the post box so we'll see what happens now.

Louise

Spoke to Education transport today and apparently eveything is sorted - he will be travelling in with one taxi firm and going home by another - a receipe for disaster me thinks.

Louise

I used to get this with my DS, every term time. At the beginning of every term it won't turn up, or it would be a different firm with no chaperone. Once they sent someone in muslim clothing with a long beard who DS hadn't seen before and he went nuts and refused to get in, he has to get the same driver or he panics! Also needs a chaperone as he can have total meltdowns in the car and has done so in the past!

Alyth_mum transport are always messing up...

Transport have caused so many problems i don't know where to begin.

Son was traumatized every morning before he got to school because of different taxis every day being late or not arriving at all.

Constant phone calls to the transport manger no help at all. As we are easy going parents we turned up outside his office door :angry: . Urgent meeting arranged there and then. After a heated meeting it was agreed that a child on the spectrum needs routine and that they where not offering him the support that the taxi was intended. Our next step was the chief executive of transport and no notice would be given, we would just arrive outside his door. For the rest of the year he had the same driver morning and afternoon no more excuses why they were running late or couldn't come at all.

Haven't heard for them so far this year but will be expecting his routine to be same driver and on time everyday.

Sympathies to everyone having trouble with transport. :wallbash:

I have to say apart from a few blips at the beginning, the transport company we have dealt with have been absolutely brilliant: from the drivers, to the boss in the office - taking the trouble to phone when there's been a delay or change in bus. It's the LEA we've had the transport trouble with if you've seen my thread on "beyond adolescence".

K x

Well so far all 3 taxi companies: (1 for ES and 2 for YS) : have come up trumps - they are on time in the morning and mainly on time pm(sometimes problems with trafic on the way home.) The drivers are friendly and chatty.

Mind you being first pick up helps as far as earlier pick-ups can't make them late. :P

Louise