Pets74

can't stop the screaming!

hi, would very much like some advice, even if it's just "stop worrying".

my 13 year old has been having temper tantrums since forever, and we can just about handles these.

recently (last couple months or so) he has started this screaming thing where he screams like he is in pain and cries and cries. i have had him checked over at the doctors as he usually only cries at ear pain or some classical music. he had one about an hour ago and i was so worried i didn't know what to do. i pulled him onto my knee (yes he is heavy but didn't think about it at the time) so he was facing me. and when i looked into his face it wasn't his pain face but his frightened face. he has done this at bedtime before now and calmed down when i spoke softly and stroked his back, however he just kept looking at me and screaming tonight for about 20 minutes. when he eventually calmed down he looked absolutely shattered. this has happened more and more frequently over the last month or so and i don't usually see his face as he covers his head with a blanket when distressed.

now i know i am no oil painting, but not ugly enough to scare little children.

he is calm now falling asleep on the sofa.

any help gratefully appreciated.

hi hun

maybe he is having a puberty spurt and he just doesnt now how to handle the feelings he is getting

even a NT child gets grumpy and cheeky but an ASD child will not be able to understand what the is going on.

It could also be a way of getting your attention

he likes the cuddle and especially the stroking

Also he could have had a scare

a strange noise something missing or moved in his room

shell

Could he have had a nightmare??????

that's what i thought first but tonights was while he was awake. he was sat looking on e bay like he does, the his hand dropped (of the mouse)and he started sobbing and screaming. frightened me to be honest. he looked stoned after.

he isn't a crier that's the thing.

probably making a fuss over nothing. it's ok just ignore me. make a fool of meself all the time ;)

Hi Angel's Mum >:D<<'>

Your not making a fool of your self. There could be any number of reasons, but something is really stressing him out. And he doesn't know how to ask for help. It is so difficult. We have had problems which have taken time to discover, mainly sensory problems.

Hope others have more helpful advice.

Sounds like it could be a sensory problem, I think I would go back and get this checked out again, perhaps you could keep a diary of when it happens, what he was doing, how long it last etc to support your concerns.

This must be very scary for both you and your son.

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x

i have had him checked over at the doctors as he usually only cries at ear pain or some classical music.

it sounds sensory related,as mentioned here already and it also sounds like he might be especially hyper sensitive to certain pitches, classical music often has a sharper high sound which can feel like being tortured in the head,it is an extreme pain feeling.

autistics can have such accute hearing that some of us can hear our own blood running through the body at times [am included],

some are hypo sensitive [too under sensitive] to certain pitches and some have a mix of hypo and hyper sensitive hearing.

it is common for autistics to hear/feel the sound/frequency coming from the box that people put in their gardens to stop cats pooing all over it,

and also from the boxes that some shop keepers have installed outside their shops to stop teenagers standing about outside them.

does he have a problem with things like hoovers,drills,hedge trimmers,lawn mowers...?

My daughter has gone through periods of this over the years. We had it for a while a couple of weeks ago - and I have to say it's almost like she's asleep but with her eyes open (like some sort of sleepwalking!) - her eyes go wide with fear and she looks towards the wall and makes funny crying/screamy noises (difficult really to explain).

Afterwards she sleeps and usually her head hurts and she has on occasions been sick (a bit like after a migraine) - when I've tried to talk about it to her - she can't explain what has happened as she doesn't seem aware of it - very often she doesn't even know how she got there before it happened or what has actually happened - it's almost like she 'wakes up' and she's very confused.

A few occasions she's had it pretty bad lasting continuous for several days (gp said it was some sort of migraine) - but it was extremely scary for all of us.

I have to say that each time she's had these episodes afterwards I can relate that there has been some factors around that time that have been stressful or she hasn't been well.

Hope he settles down soon for you.

Take care,

Jb

look at my website and download booklet - it will give you a lot of info on these problems. They are treatable - but you need knowledgeable professional advice

www.jordanseyes.com

thanks for all your responses, jb described it well. he slept 12 hours after, usually 2 or 3.

when he was younger he used to have periods of "spacing out" and we got referred for an eeg but he wouldn't co-operate.

we have to keep a diary now of what happens yadda yadda, as it could be sensory, migraine, etc.

and tux can i ask you if sensory problems can get worse or change during puberty, as we have changed as much as we can in the house, like new telephones, dismantling doorbell. but recently started kicking off in the car when the indicator is on. it's so hard as he doesn't have much speech and can't tell me so i don't know until after the tantrum (i try my hardest, honest)

so really no nearer, as Bil can't tell me much, but my doctor is fantastic and told me when we have more information it will give him a clue as to what direction to move in. i have to note what he has been doing before, what happens during and how he is after.

oh and when he slept for 12 hours i was up checking him every hour. neurotic mum alert.

seriously though thanks to every single one of you. >:D<<'>