stressedmumto2

Do any of your children pick?

For many months now my son has ben picking the inside of his ear, it has started to get a bit sore and red but he just can't stop the picking, if his finger is not in his ear it is up his nose :sick:

I have found he mostly does it after he's taken his medication so am unsure if it's medication related, just seems that when it's before meds in the morning he's not doing it after meds he is and it last throught the day. I have found putting stretchy things in his hands to play with are helping as a distractor. He say's his ear doesn't hurt but it is getting embarrising as he's doing it almost constantly, my friend however thinks he is much calmer when he is doing it and often appears to be in his own world, but he is definatly not the in your own world type of child, but does at times stare out blankly.

Is this anything I should be worried about, has it happened to any of your children?

I have tried the does it feel nice etc but he doesn't say anything and just tells me to shut up saying about it.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I think this kind of thing is common. For years and years my daughter used to bite her finger joints until they would be extremely painful and I remember reading loads of posts about this at the time - picking and biting, she would always be worse when her anxieties/stress levels were high.

It's only really this past year that she's stopped but only because she constantly chews ice cubes to stop doing it - we tried loads of different things that had been mentioned but this one did work.

Take care,

Jb

hi hun

it sounds to me like a habit

like biteing your nails or playing with your hair

and of course he will get many sensations from doing it

if its any consolation sam does the same with his nose

and stretches it yuk

it will pass hun

you are doing good with diverting him

love shell

My DS picks his lip until it bleeds constantly, and he ticks and opens up the wound for weeks at a time. He then gets out of the habit then comes back to it a few weeks later. Distraction can help but the DS knows what I'm doing and tends to do it more :wallbash:

my daughter has terrible chapped lips i put lip balm on them every night and through the day but i cant get her to leave them alone at all she just keeps picking at them an splitting them again and again ,also she got a flea bite of a cat and she wouldnt leave it alone she got in a terrible mess with her leg because i just couldn't stop her picking it :o

For many months now my son has ben picking the inside of his ear, it has started to get a bit sore and red but he just can't stop the picking, if his finger is not in his ear it is up his nose :sick:

I have found he mostly does it after he's taken his medication so am unsure if it's medication related, just seems that when it's before meds in the morning he's not doing it after meds he is and it last throught the day. I have found putting stretchy things in his hands to play with are helping as a distractor. He say's his ear doesn't hurt but it is getting embarrising as he's doing it almost constantly, my friend however thinks he is much calmer when he is doing it and often appears to be in his own world, but he is definatly not the in your own world type of child, but does at times stare out blankly.

Is this anything I should be worried about, has it happened to any of your children?

I have tried the does it feel nice etc but he doesn't say anything and just tells me to shut up saying about it.

Thanks in advance

it is probably a 'stim',as well as a habit.

quote from wikipedia:

There are many theories about the function of stimming, and the reasons for its increased incidence in autistic people. For hyposensitive people, it may provide needed nervous system arousal, releasing beta-endorphins. For hypersensitive people, it may provide a "norming" effect, allowing the person to control a specific part of their sensorium, and is thus a soothing behavior.

My lad is a picker, yep. He continually picks the skin on his fingers and has picked several layers off. He does it more when stressed, but also it's such a habit that he does it when he's relaxing by the pond as well and he has no nails at all because they are all picked or bitten away. :sick: He also has his finger up his nose an awful lot. He's not getting anything out, it's just a habit, I think. Drives me nuts but if I draw his attention to it he just gets annoyed so I tend to try not to mention it too much if I can help it. :wacko:

~ Mel ~

Hello,

H picks his nose. Yuk! It's a habit we hope he will grow out of, but as a result he suffers from frequent nose bleeds. We have some spray to help the picked bits heal up.

Hi

Yes Daniel will pick, especially through being anxious.

He used to chew the end of this fingers and picked the skin from the side of his nails.

Lately he teases the cat, the cat scrams him then as soon as the scratches are dry, they turn scabby ;) then he will pick until he bleeds then as soon as they dry up he does it again.

He has some long scram scars all down his arms, but he will not leave them alone.

When he gets chapped lips, as much as we use balm on them, he bites into his lips then they bleed, they dry up by the morning then he picks off when dry.............then start again !! :sick:

Di x :rolleyes:

Hi,

Kai is covered in scars on his legs where he sits picking all day (and night!). When i ask him to stop he says it feels nice. He also bites and picks his lips until they bleed, although this is usually when he's anxious.

Loulou xx

Hi,

Kai is covered in scars on his legs where he sits picking all day (and night!). When i ask him to stop he says it feels nice. He also bites and picks his lips until they bleed, although this is usually when he's anxious.

Loulou xx

Kids? I'm 42 and I have the most terrible scratching and scab picking habit. I'm covered in scar tissue as a result. Sometimes I don't even realise I'm doing it but one thing is certain - I do it more when I'm highly stressed. I hate the way my hands look yet as soon as a scab starts to go hard, just can't resist pulling it off, which of course leaves the wound larger and messier than it was before.

I currently have four patches on one leg, one on a foot three on my hand, five on my arm, one on my back and one on my scalp.

I hate myself for it.

My son has picked at the skin on his thumbs until it turned into a large bleeding crack, has no nails as he's chewed them all off, has chewed on the inside of his mouth and his tongue until he given himself multiple ulcers (he usually looks like hes chewing gum) and has eaten the cuffs off his school jumpers :( hoping that one has stopped because I've just bought him two new jumpers for the start of term!!

He's also a nose picker - or rather a 'dipper' as he just seems to like to dip his finger into his nostrils and then straight into his mouth - if you catch him doing it he will strenously deny it!! :lol:

Niamh picks her nose and bites her nails right down - on Sunday she made her finger bleed as she had bit the nail down too far - she also bites her toe nails as short! :sick: