Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Eczema or hyper-sensitivity?

I hope someone can help. I've been through a lot of stress recently and I think as a direct result of this my eczema, which I haven't had huge problems with since I was doing my A-Levels, has flared up. At least I think it's eczema - that is what it was always diagnosed as since I was a baby though I'm wondering if even then it may have been more AS/sensory related as I know that even as a baby I hated being touched and would scream if any creams were rubbed in.

The trouble is I now need to do something before I literally peel away my skin in scratching. I can't face a trip to the GP at the moment but realise I may have to as in the past I've had problems with areas I've scratched raw becomming infected. Does anyone know of any good creams or other treatment I can buy from the supermarket or chemist that will at least help with the itching and get me through this week until hopefully I'm feeling a little calmer and can deal with things more appropriately?

Guest Lya of the Nox

sometimes sudocreme ( tis thick tho, in nappy ilse) can help with itching

i think u can also by hydrocortisone, crema otc now

but how big an area are we talking bout?

and u cant put cortisone on broken skin, and if it gets infected you will need!!a prescription, so you will have to go and see gp ( sorry)

is there a pharmacy u can go into and write what u got goin on a card and hand it over??

have u ever tried bach rescue remedy for stress it can help it helps me, and u can get that in cream formula

really wish i could help u somehow babe

Hi - you can buy hydracortisone cream from the pharmacists, and also get yourself some E45 cream and maybe some E45 emolient bath stuff - run yourself a bath with the e45 bath stuff and just lie in for about 20 mins - pat dry - don't rub, and you should find some relief.

If you have really itchy bits that are covered by clothes try some calamine lotion dabbed on with cottonwool

Perhaps try taking an antihistimine tablet as well to see if it helps at all

Thanks Lya & Lisa,

I'm not sure if it is eczema or some other stress reaction - before I've had it (and it was diagnosed by doctors as eczema) on my hands and lower arms and legs, but this time it's much more widespread including my neck, back and lower parts of my face - that's the worst bit, because I know I can't scratch my face.

sometimes sudocreme ( tis thick tho, in nappy ilse) can help with itching

i think u can also by hydrocortisone, crema otc now

I'll try both of these. I've got some E45 itch-relief cream but it really isn't helping.

have u ever tried bach rescue remedy for stress it can help it helps me, and u can get that in cream formula

I bought some of the drops one b4 the conference but I found it made me sick - I don't know though if that was the bach or the fear of the conference that had the effect. I'll look for their cream.

maybe some E45 emolient bath stuff - run yourself a bath with the e45 bath stuff and just lie in for about 20 mins - pat dry - don't rub, and you should find some relief.

I don't have a bath :( (I use a shower-version everyday anyway, partly because it doesn't have such a strong smell as most shower gels which I find really difficult to cope with)

Perhaps try taking an antihistimine tablet as well to see if it helps at all

I take these everyday for allergies anyhow and I don't think you can take more than the recommended one a day.

Thanks again - I'll let you know how I get on - might go back to wearing socks on my hands (my mum used to do this - and strap them on tightly :( - so I couldn't scratch)

Ok - just dug out from my bathroom something that I've used before when I ended up with a viral thingy that caused huge itchy rash - and particularly round my neck, shoulders etc.

Called Eurax - you can buy from the chemists one I bought last year cost 4.70.

It says it will stop itching and works for up to 10 hours

From memory it stung when you initially dabbed it on (with cottonwool) so you may need to hop around and swear a little after initial application - but definately worth a go.

And double check with yourself that you haven't changed anything like deodarant, soap powder etc lately, or if you've sudeenly started drinking/eating something you don't normally.

I've got a large patch of itchy dry skin on my arm Mumble, and when I last saw GP she said it was excema, probably stress related. She recommended I went to pharmacy and bought some hydrocortisone cream, which I did. Didn't really help that much. My mum suggested Lanacane, so I tried that. That helped more, but hasn't cleared it up, but takes the itch away.

My daughter gets excema flare ups when stressed but she hates creams that are thick, i think what works most if the skin isnt broken is oil, any kind of bland carrier oil even vegetable oil. If it really bad we have to use cream usually calamine cream or diprobase and as a last resort hydrocortisone.

Try and drink as much water as possible.

Good luck

Nicola

Eurax I've used before but the smell was too strong for me.

I went to the chemist and bought up all sorts of bag-fulls of creams and lotions - anything to avoid the GP :(

Does anyone know what I can use on my face? It says on the hydrocortisone cream that it's not for use on the face and the pharmasist said this too (after I'd asked her to repeat herself 3 times because I couldn't process what she was saying). Do you think it's OK to use it on my neck?

have you tried vasaline? I used to have eczma and I also had a virus which i think was called pitytiasis rosea, which is usually dormant but can come back when under stress. That looks like eczma but is mainly on the neck and torso, whereas my eczma was usually on arms and legs.

0.1% hydrocotisone cream can be used on the face for a very short amount of time (I was prescribed it by the hospital for acid burns to my face) and I was amazed that it cleared up my spots too! So I still use it occasionally on my face. I've used lanacane in the past, which does stop the itching, but not sure if that can be used on face.

Witch hazel, or tea tree oil solutions might also work.

Just a thought, Mumbley...

Have you changed your washing powder recently? I get eczema, and in the past it has really flared up if I have used a different brand of washing powder as opposed to my old reliable one.

If you can possibly face going you should really try and get to your GP, as he will be able to presribe creams that are stronger than the hydrocortizone off-the-shelf ones. He might decide one that also contains an antibiotic would be needed. From 40 plus years of living with eczema I know that it's better to use a stronger cream once it has really flared up as this will treat it quickly and effectively, rather than using weaker cream for ages with no real effect.

Good luck...I do sympathise. Years ago, just before my wedding, I changed washing powder and I was literally covered in it everywhere my clothes touched me, especially my armpits which was excruciating :(

Another vital practice is to keep your skin as moisturised as you can all the time, as this will help prevent outbreaks.

Just a warning, E45 cream used to contain lanolin, which I am allergic to, so it just made my eczema worse. I would always go for creams and emolliants that are completely petroleum based, like Unguentum Merck, which you can also get in big tubs...smother your skin in this and it really, really helps.

Good luck >:D<<'>

Bid >:D<<'>

Hi Mumble - just to say even though you aren't supposed to, I do use my hydrocortisone (and actually my steriod creams!) on my face if its really bad, just not for prolonged periods. My ezcema always flares up when I'm stressed, and seeing all your going through at the moment I'm not surprised yours is flaring up.

I hope it clears up a bit soon.

Lynne x

You can put a big handful of porridge oats into the foot of an old pair of tights and run it under the tap for a bath - very soothing. We also have removed all SLS (sodium lauryl sulphate/sodium laureth sulphate) shampoo and soap. Have to buy SLS free from the health food shop. Expensive but worth it as SLS is extremely drying to the skin. The other thing that really helps is to avoid dairy produce. For my DD this is enough to prevent the flare-ups happening even though the GP told us there was no link.

Thanks everyone,

I used some emollient shower cream I got from the chemists which I thought really helped till I had to put clothes on - I've always been a bit sensitive to textures and have quite a limited wardrobe, but this is rediculous - I went through each thing and ended up rejecting everything, so I went for the best of the worst.

I think it is because I am so totally stressed at the moment - I'm freaking out about seeing my supervisor this afternoon and having to help him understand why I can't cope with conferences like the one I've been to that set all this off. I know I should perhaps go to the GP with this but at the moment I really can't face that.

Washing powder isn't the problem though I know it can be - I've always used the same products for years. Sainsbury's recently changed one I've been using and I had to take a trip to other stores miles away from me and stock up!! When that runs out I'll have to change :(

Another vital practice is to keep your skin as moisturised as you can all the time, as this will help prevent outbreaks.
Yeah - I'm useless at this - I've never taken any interest in anything that I see as in any way linked with 'beauty'. Perhaps I should make an effort, particularly if I know I'm going to have a particularly stressful time.

Hi Mumble - just to say even though you aren't supposed to, I do use my hydrocortisone (and actually my steriod creams!) on my face if its really bad, just not for prolonged periods.

OK - I was just a bit worried, because I didn't know why it said don't use it. I used to have very bad asthma and having finally got that under control so it hasn't caused me problems for years, I don't want to do anything that might have an impact on it.

Dietary interventions aren't something I can do as from this weekend onwards I'll be fed by my hall (which will help as it'll put some structure into my day and remove the stress of trying and failing to cook for myself) and they don't cater for any special diets except veggies.

My son suffers from extremely bad eczema, i rub him all over with Aqueous cream B.P. it's wonderful stuff, you can use it as a cream wash in the bath or add it all over the body when it's dry (it rubs into the skin very well!)

I get eczema too and mine usually flares up under stress. I have just started working for the National Eczema Society and have a sample pot of EPADERM it is described as low senstisation, suitable for all ages including babies and is for the management of eczema, psoriasis & other dry skin conditions it is a Swedish brand Molnlycke. Its a 3 in 1 onitment to be used as a emolient, and/or bath additive (mixed with hot water then added to bath) or a skin cleanser in the shower. Its fragrance free and does not contain any colouring additives or preservatives.

I have been using it the past couple of days and it has certainly stopped the itching and the area is less angry/sore.

Clare x x x

Edited by Clare63