Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Guests

Who are the 3199 guests currently online? I know before I joined I read as a guest and found it helpful, but normally there are only around 60 guests reading. Who are these people and are our registration details, emails etc totally safe?

Hi Mumble,

I hardly ever look at the numbers but I just did a couple of minutes ago - and thought exactly the same thing........

Also, when I'm typing this the screen does look different to a normal reply post......don't know why....

Take care,

Jb

It is rather unnerving, hopefully a moderator will come along in a mo and explain, bit like when I asked the other day about the rather strange new usernames that seem to refer to either gambling or sex ????? apparently these don't get to be actual users.

Clare x x x

Ummm... :unsure:

Lufty or Kris are the ones who would know about this. I don't think we've suddenly become that popular, they are very likely not real people but those search engine spider things that roam around automatically. Probably nothing to worry about - if I find out the cause I'll let you know.

K x

Hi all -

have no idea what's going on. but will heads up to admin...

As far as 'dodgy names' goes this is pretty much par for the course for any forum these days, but none of them go back to genuine IP addresses so they shouldn't actually ever get to the point of being able to post. It's just a horrible form of automated internet 'spamming' that every online community gets.

The 'guests' thing is new, but i'm guessing (hope) it'll have a similar root cause.

L&P

BD :D

Hi all,

Looks like a certain IP address in the US had taken an unhealthy interest in our site. This could be malicious or just a badly configured search engine.

Either way it hasnt done any damage and our security hasnt been breached. I've blocked the IP address from accessing the site and there have been no further attempts for the last 15mins (whereas before it was every couple of seconds)

We'll keep an eye out and thanks for letting us know so quickly. You are all now unofficial forum security officers :) (it doesnt come with a uniform or badge though I'm afraid)

Keep em peeled!!

Kris

Thanks Kris...

an IP in the US of A, huh? Guess that make's 'em all deptuy's rather than security officers then, Podna...

If anyone's gotta clean up this one hoss town i vote that hev get's the bucket and shovel :P;):lol:

L&P

BD :D

there is a phpbb forum am use that has this problem,the spam bots join up and can post,and leave loads of links in them,they register so many accounts,the admin of the forum left a long time ago so no one can do anything about it apart from trying to get him back.

saw it happen on a few other phpbb forums to.