Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Should the lights go out?

OK - 3rd question - so proof I'm no techi person.

Old laptop - when I'd had enough, clicked on 'Start' and along to turn off computer, 3 boxes came up, clicked on turn off and it turned off totally.

New laptop - click on 'start', options are to log off or shut down. Click on shut down and a drop down menu comes up with options of hibernate, stand-by, restart and shutdown, but no 'turn off'. Shutdown seems to turn it off, but there are two little green lights and an orange light on the front that stay on. Is this right? I would expect all the lights to go off if I turn if off.

Also scanner doesn't have an on/off switch - do I just pull the plug out to turn it off? :unsure:

Hiya....mrs 'I'm no 'techie' but I now have a puter that almost makes my dinner for me, with lots of whizzy things like weird blue balls in the middle and flashing lights ! :)

Sounds fantastic!....on the flashing light front one of our desktop PC's at home does the same thing after 'shutdown', as I'm an 'electric' must be off freak I always kill it at the plug socket as well otherwise I don't believe it's off. The lights are probably just to show it's still connected to the mains I'm guessing - nothing to worry about.

>:D<<'>

The lights are probably just to show it's still connected to the mains I'm guessing - nothing to worry about.

Thanks - I'm a lights must be out, no electricity running into things type of person. Plus I'm sure the lights aren't bright to most people but they freak me out at night - I guess most people don't sleep across the room from their laptop - might sit my lego men in front of the lights and see if they block it out . . .

Now on making dinner - I'm working on it. If I tell it to 'make dinner' it turns the microphone off so either it's confused or retaliating (or else I got bored half way through setting up the voice recognision . . . :wacko:)

It will be fine if you switch it off at the plug socket, I do the same with the one here, so ling as you've 'shut down' should be no problem.

I'm the same with lights while I'm sleeping - hubby installed some huge fangelled TV ariel in the bedroom and it's constant red and green lights used to drive me nuts! - There is now a resident cushion in front of the ariel! :)

OK - 3rd question - so proof I'm no techi person.

Old laptop - when I'd had enough, clicked on 'Start' and along to turn off computer, 3 boxes came up, clicked on turn off and it turned off totally.

New laptop - click on 'start', options are to log off or shut down. Click on shut down and a drop down menu comes up with options of hibernate, stand-by, restart and shutdown, but no 'turn off'. Shutdown seems to turn it off, but there are two little green lights and an orange light on the front that stay on. Is this right? I would expect all the lights to go off if I turn if off.

Also scanner doesn't have an on/off switch - do I just pull the plug out to turn it off? :unsure:

That's IBMs again for you (OK, I admit, other makes do it too!)

If the power supply is connected to the mains there will be a light on, and if the battery needs charging then probably another will be orange (and turn green once fully charged).

I'd get used to using "standby" as well - it restarts *very* quickly after a standby and uses hardly any battery power while off in this mode.

As for the scanner, yes, just pull the plug - either from the socket on the wall or out the back of the scanner itself.

Phil

Thanks Flipper - stupid me eventually worked it out!! There's a light to say it's on power or a light to say it's on battery and an orange light that turns green for charging and another orange light to say it's found a wireless network. Found out that if I pull out the power cord from the back once I've turned it off all the lights go out and I'm much happier!!

Didn't think about pulling out scanner cord from scanner - that'll be much easier than pulling out desk, finding cords and trying to decide which one to pull, pulling wrong one and lights going out or TV going off . . . Maybe labelling the plugs would be a good idea :lol: