Mumble

Flippin' Men & their Flippin' Tools

I've just entertained (or should that be been entertained by) three men in my room putting up a whiteboard so I can have a visual planner/timetable. It was recommended and funded in early March, so it's taken over 6 months.

Great you say . . . but it's wonky - and I mean really wonky as in a 4 1/2 cm difference in height from one side to the other. No, they didn't use a level but if they did I hate to think what they would have used it for . . . let's just say the chistle was used in a very novel manner and as for the drill bit . . . (*suddenly has great idea - maybe that's the 'bit shifting' TN was referring to . . .*)

Anyway, the thing is (yes this is going somewhere) - do I say anything? I know most people wouldn't care/notice - I do and it's already really bugging me (already :rolleyes:). But I know it would be considered rude to say anything after they've been 'so helpful'. Plus they might take it down and spend a further six months musing over putting it up straight.

Hello Mumble. Oh yes this would drive me flippin mad too. That's a big difference and I know how my ds would hate things being so skew - drawers have to be shut, things straight on shelves etc etc. (Mind you come to think of it I'm just the same). It's just like having a picture on the wall and having it crooked. The whole point of the thing is a visual aid and if its jarring because its so skew they must understand it should be corrected or its purpose is detrimental to you not beneficial. Hope they understand without you having to make too much of it.

Guest Lya of the Nox

can u amend it??

tools ahh yes

ask meggzie about our house lol

have u heard form anyone yet about u mails??

thinkin of u

x

Is it something you can fix yourself Mumble? If it is - I would do it myself rather than waste time getting them to come and fix it - if not I would definitely report it and ask to have it fixed. A few mms you can live with but nearly 5cm is ridiculous - that would bother anyone!

Lynne x

It takes three men to put up a whiteboard???

There's a maths question in there...

If it takes 3 men 6 months to put up a whiteboard, how long would it take 1 woman ? :devil:

K x

Hullo :)

You mentioned in another thread (in off topic I think) about when you first went back to uni after sending the email about disclosure and how the one person who you would actually call a friend was a bit off with you.

This wonky board thing could be a way to solve both problems in one go. Or it could just be another of my rubbish ideas :lol:

How about asking your friend, cos he's a bloke and all so he might own drills and measuring sticks and what not (to be completely sexist for a mo), if he could come and straighten up the board thing and explain how, after it has taken so long to get them to come do it in the first place you don't want to appear ungrateful (because it's brilliant that it has finally been done) and how you don't want it to take another 6 months to do and in that case could he come and sort it out as you don't own any drills and what not yourself (if you do, lie, or sell them and you won't have to lie ;) ).

You could then use this as a prime opportunity to have a chat about your email and his reactions. You could start talking to him while he's busy with the board and that way it's less formal and he might feel better talking to you while doing something, especially if he has any questions which he feels uncomfortable about asking.

Like I said, probably a rubbish idea but it popped in my head so I thought I would share it. Hope you get it sorted soon, either way. That or learn to tilt your head to one side permanently so it looks straight :wacko: (I realise that is unhelpful, I do deserve a punch!)

Emily

xxx

Guest Lya of the Nox

i wondered bout emily idea too

nowt a man likes more than to help a 'damsel in distress'

Ooh thats a fiendishly clever idea Emily :notworthy:

The success of which rests on him being a "typical" man, with power tools & a burning desire to use them :lol:

If he's anything like mr pearl, Mumble will get a puzzled look which means "and this concerns me how?" :lol:

It takes three men to put up a whiteboard???

Yes - One to hold it straight in place (unsucessfully), one to whir his tools and make holes and one to stand there with a bucket (yes a bucket) of tools and pass the wrong tools to the whirry man.

I think it all went wrong when the 'hold it straight' man went off down the corridor after the cleaner woman (it only takes one woman . . .:lol:) to get the hoover to 'clean up' (which I promptly re-did after he had gone).

learn to tilt your head to one side permanently so it looks straight :wacko: (I realise that is unhelpful, I do deserve a punch!)

:fight::P

Actually, there is something sensible (somewhere) in that. I have decided for now not to say anything to the halls people cause I really need to stay on their good side. Rather than tilt my head however, I have progressively tilted a row of photographs ensuring the cover the edge - it (kinda) looks straight :thumbs: I'm feeling quite positive today - I'll see how much it annoys me on a day where I'm in one of my 'moments' and maybe say something then.

As for your damsal in distress idea I think it's great :thumbs: but not for now - saw this guy again today - far from not being able to say goodbye, he couldn't even bring himself to say hello :( I think this is going to require a lot more work and I'm really not sure how. Oh, and he doesnt really strike me as the 'man with tools' type of guy - he took his own thumb off closing the window :rolleyes:

Its shoddy workmanship, so yes . Such a pain though. >:D<<'> Why can't people do their jobs properly?

I was once talking about a new coat of arms for Britain and one suggestion was a picture of a cowboy standing next to a picture of a shodily built house with the motto The land of cowboy builders.

I was once talking about a new coat of arms for Britain and one suggestion was a picture of a cowboy standing next to a picture of a shodily built house with the motto The land of cowboy builders.

Builders :ph34r:

Ours ran off without completing the job. I'd made the fundamental mistake of paying him before I went on holiday, cos I'm a nice person who didnt want to keep him waiting for his money.

MONTHS later our supposedly top of the range kitchen tap (for which I'd paid top of the range dosh) broke. The plumber said it was a cheap knock-off. Grrrrrr!

Are you sure you've used :ph34r: correctly Pearl? :unsure:

Well I said I would wait till I was having a 'moment' day - they didn't have to wait long.

Hall manager was in hallway whilst I was waiting for my junkmail (trust me, junkmail is actually exciting because at least it makes me look popular) and she says, "ah, Mumble, did they fix the board up for you?". Ah, I say - The board - well, yes in a manner of speaking, but it's rather wonkey (and then followed this with Emily's 'tilt' just incase she didn't know what wonkey meant.

Words are going to be had, apparently . . .

(I'll save my noise complaint for next week - always good to spread these things out I think . . . :ph34r:)

I dunno if I'm using :ph34r: correctly or not, I'm completely confused after that thread :D

I cant describe in words what it means when I use it, but you know the noise Marge Simpson makes when she's annoyed, its kinda like that.

*goes to eat some :ph34r: *

Jeez Louise I think that is the shortest post I've ever done!! :clap:

Don't worry Emily - I've emailed mountain rescue (well it's all hilly oop North) and they'll be round in their armour-plated aspie-bricking proof emergency vehicle to whisk you to the nearest secure hospital to deal with whatever being has invaded you body and caused your posting to come out so short . . . :P