lisa35

music!!

Well, heres a question, do your kids like music?? My 12 yr old bought chemical brothers cd, and came home & played it LOUD! & did the strangest dancing ever! all kinda uncoordinated, but he was loving it and having the best time ever! are any other kids like this, just wonderd if unique to our special kids, but if he did this in company it would look so weird!

Lisa

ps, loves classical music too

B loves music, but doesn't listen to the words.

He can't even remember the lyrics of songs that he has on 'repeat' every morning. He remembers them by the track numbers.

Enjoys a range, some peaceful, some rock. He likes ones where the instruments come in one at a time, then combine. Hates minor keys, which can be a problem with folk ballads that I like.

Both me and my son love music - and he will often pull me to the stereo and put on a song - rather than explain how he's feeling. His dancing is lovely............ if a little unusual! :rolleyes::lol:

:D

Both me and ds love music - any kind. Will dance around in my study - he's a fantastic mover. I hate it when we go to the school disco cos all the others want to do is run around and my ds just wants to dance but weakly goes and follows them. At home when we play music he says its the "music club" - and it has to be loud. One of our favourite dance routines at the moment is the Ukranian entry in the Eurovision which I downloaded from Utube. Its so funny.

C loves music. So much so we bought him an MP3 for his birthday - just turned 6. When he feels that he's not coping with things he will often take himself up to his room and put his headphones on. And yes the dances he does are very different :dance: . But I think for him it just blocks out all of the outside worlds with its pressures.

I like music. One of my favourite songs at the moment starts with a real heavy bassline, and I like it LOUD in the car, with the windows shut. It kind of makes the air vibrate. It's just not the same with the windows open, or in the house.

I'm not gonna let anyone see me dance cos it's embarrassing :bounce:

JP is not one little bit interested in music :( His only CDs are spoken word books.

He can, however, immediately identify bits of classical music that he remembers from school assemblies years ago.

Well, heres a question, do your kids like music?? My 12 yr old bought chemical brothers cd, and came home & played it LOUD! & did the strangest dancing ever!

That would have been 'The salmon dance'...

don't know if this link will work, but if not direct you'll find it somewhere on the page :)

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/broadband/vhub/in...el=&id=3906

L&P

BD

J will play one track over and over and over for ages, usually accompanied by bouncing on the bed, which I need to deter because the bed won't last forever and the mattress is very lumpy as a result. The actual track changes periodically - at present it's The Killers 'Somebody Told Me'. Other faves have been tracks by White Stripes, Raconteurs, Nirvana, Dandy Warhols. He played Bowie's Suffragette City incessantly for about six months - I honestly never thought I could get sick of that track but it happened (sigh).

He doesn't like much variety in his music tbh. He's learning to play the guitar atm as well - I'm hoping he'll come to appreciate that playing music can be therapeutic, and there have been occasions when it's helped to settle him when he's been a bit agitated.

Karen

x

both my son and myself love music and we both have a tendancy to play the same fave track over and over and over and over.. the rest of the house get fed up with us.

my son comes home from school sometimes saying that his ''eyes have been sweating because the songs were sad'' i think this applies to the words. one specific song he cried to was michael jackson's ' heal the world'- which they were doing for harvest assembly. another was ''streets of london''. dont know who sand this but both me and son were crying in the harvest assembly.

i have a current track by hans zimmer that i replay over and over and i cry every time because it is so powerful- chevaliers de sangreal.

also when we go to the cinema as a family, its always myself and my son who sit there crying and i think the soundtrack has something to do with that.

My J loves listening to music and bouncing on his bed too! He really likes Modern Love by David Bowie, as well Ashes to Ashes and Sorrow and some other of his fave songs at the moment are anything by the Hoodoo Gurus (an Aussie band), Ernie by Benny Hill, Hit me with your rhythm stick, Girls on Film and actually there are countless of others as we have them on records in our jukebox.

Sometimes he'll play the same song over and over until we request a different one!

Cheers,

Eva

Jay has absolutely no interest in music at all. I love singing and I have the radio on in the car and am always singing along, maybe I've put him off! :whistle:

When he was at primary and they used to sing in assembly or in Xmas shows he would never, ever sing. He'd just sit there. Don't think he was able to grasp the rythme or the words or tunes, he wasn't able to get them out of his mouth fast enough or get the tune right, it was just too hard for him.

~ Mel ~

both my son and myself love music and we both have a tendancy to play the same fave track over and over and over and over.. the rest of the house get fed up with us.

my son comes home from school sometimes saying that his ''eyes have been sweating because the songs were sad'' i think this applies to the words. one specific song he cried to was michael jackson's ' heal the world'- which they were doing for harvest assembly. another was ''streets of london''. dont know who sand this but both me and son were crying in the harvest assembly.

i have a current track by hans zimmer that i replay over and over and i cry every time because it is so powerful- chevaliers de sangreal.

also when we go to the cinema as a family, its always myself and my son who sit there crying and i think the soundtrack has something to do with that.

Streets of London - the great Ralph McTell. He's still going strong, saw him live recently.

Me and my wee bubs love music and last week we got to a concert! Gwen Stefani!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woohoo

Tried concerts before because she loves music but it was too much for her but now she is more relaxed we had a ball, she was up swinging it with the best of them and didnt mind her old mum doing the same.

She is the best dancer i know and her co-ordination when dancing in the house is fab.When she copies Christina Aguillera (dont know how to spell her name) I am glad she only dances in the house like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems to be a great release

Glad your boy likes music

Nicola

Ryan loves music he finds a song and plays it over and over again! At the moment it is high school musical 2 - head in the game or something i can sing it but not sure of the title! Every morning 6 on the dot it blares from his room! My fault i think as I always have music on and love nothing better than a sing song (espec after a glass or 2 of vodka!) think he finds it quite theraputic as he listens to music when he is in a bad mood I used to love the song Ruby Ruby but hearing it on repeat from 6am every day for about 3 months has sort of killed it for me!

We have to endure "SHINE" by Take That on a loop, with "IF YOU'RE NOT THE ONE" by Daniel Bedingfield (Which makes me cry!), "CHASING CARS" by Snow Patrol and "CRAZY CHICK" by Charlotte Church........and the BLACK BEAUTY TV theme song! :lol:

Also any MTV video with a scantilly clad female in, and El is rubbing his thighs VIC REEVES stylee! :P:P

When Britney Spears was first about in 1999, I came home from work and walked into the silent lounge to find my hubby grinning inanely at the TV screen watching a Britney video on mute.....when I asked him why, he said "It's best I watch my britney on mute, I still like her when she's quiet!!!!!!!!!!!!" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Stupid man!

Edited by ellisisamazing

We have to endure "SHINE" by Take That on a loop, with "IF YOU'RE NOT THE ONE" by Daniel Bedingfield (Which makes me cry!), "CHASING CARS" by Snow Patrol and "CRAZY CHICK" by Charlotte Church........and the BLACK BEAUTY TV theme song! :lol:

Also any MTV video with a scantilly clad female in, and El is rubbing his thighs VIC REEVES stylee! :P:P

When Britney Spears was first about in 1999, I came home from work and walked into the silent lounge to find my hubby grinning inanely at the TV screen watching a Britney video on mute.....when I asked him why, he said "It's best I watch my britney on mute, I still like her when she's quiet!!!!!!!!!!!!" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Stupid man!

Ha ha this just made me burst out laughing while sitting at my desk in a very quite office i think i now look like the office loon!! If orgot about SHINE and the daniel bedingfield Ryan sings along in a really high pitched squeky voice VERY VERY annoying i hate to say! He also does the same with scantaly clad ladies on MTV and has started to ask questions like why do ladies boobs bounce when they dance... I forgot also my NT daugher loves music also and at the moment loves nothing better than singing around tescos would be sweet if it was a nursery ryhme but no she sings you can like my lolly pop ill lick you ice cream or something like that!!!!!

Shortcake,

Now you're making me splutter! :lol::lol::lol:

My daughter is also making up songs, :lol: "We are pigs, Peppa, George, Dad and Mummy, pink and smelly like a piggy's bummy!!!" (well she actually had a little help with that one from my neighbours 6 year old! :rolleyes: )

I couldn't help but laugh though! :lol:

Oh, and she's heard me listening to the Human League, and sings "Don't you want a baby?" Instead of "don't you want me, baby?"!!! You wanna see the look of horror on my DH's face when that gets sung!

And as for the dreaded BARBIE GIRL.....Damn them Big Brother twins!

Edited by ellisisamazing

I lurrve music and have to listen to it really loud to be in my element :) I like all types of music, mainstream mainly but I listen to music from all kinds of decades and genres. If I had to pick one in particular it would probably be classic rock groups/music. None of that Rolling Stone/The Beatles type business, more like Free, Bad Company, Black Crowes, Incubus, Led Zeppelin, The Strokes...that kind of thing. But then I can go from listening to that to listening to dance music, cheesy pop, hip hop etc etc. As long as I like it I'll listen to it.

Neil listens to a lot of film scores, soundtracks, TV themes that kind of thing. He also likes cheesy Euro pop, dance music and a bit of the ol'Sinatra but he definitely has a lot weirder taste in music than me.

We can both listen to the same song on repeat for ages and ages and tend to go through cycles of listening to the same batch of songs (though this tends to be me more than Neil). Even though I've got like 1761 songs on Itunes I only really listen to the songs on my Current Faves playlist day to day which has a tiny 62 songs on it in comparison.

I don't think I'm a bad dancer, it's something I used to do when I was younger though and I was pretty good at it too so I shouldn't be too rubbish at it. Neil on the other hand, it's not that he's a bad dancer he's just the funniest dancer I know :D:lol: His arms and legs seem to move of their own accord whereas his head just bobs up and down to the music. He can imaginary tap dance (Donald O'Connor stylee) like nobody else I know and I've been known to almost die of laughter when he does it. The only way I can describe it is to imagine that he's being operated by four different puppeteers when he dances :) (That or he's on drugs/having a fit)

Music has a far greater effect on my emotions though than a lot of people I know. I get more affected by certain pieces of music than I do by hearing about people's current situations. Tell me someone has died and (unless it's an immediate member of my family) I'm fairly non-plussed. Play me Map of the Problematique by Muse and it really stirs up my emotions. I don't feel particularly sad or happy just really affected by it.

I also have a thing about making up absurd lyrics to existing songs or coming up with little ditties about what is happening day to day, I have quite a talent for it actually though my brain seems to be permanently wired to childish humour and the need to reference people's backsides, toilet activities and other naughty adult things as much as possible. I think all my remixes would have to have parental advisory stickers on them :shame: I personally blame my dad, ever since I heard him change the lyrics to Bohemian Rhapsody from 'Spare him his life from this monstrosity' to 'Spare him his life from his burnt sausages' I just can't help myself. Over the years Bohemian Rhapsody has stayed with me to the point that now my version is all about Shepherd's Pie! It's really quite frightening that I'm actually allowed out by myself when you consider I changed the opening lyric to 'Mama, just killed a ram...' :rolleyes::wacko:

Anyway just really wanted to let you know that the strange dancing isn't for kids only which is great as because Neil's dancing makes me laugh so much, I've filmed some of it on my mobile and now whenever I'm feeling particularly evil I can threaten to put it on YouTube :devil: Hehehehehehehe!

Emily

xxx

Over the years Bohemian Rhapsody has stayed with me to the point that now my version is all about Shepherd's Pie! It's really quite frightening that I'm actually allowed out by myself when you consider I changed the opening lyric to 'Mama, just killed a ram...' :rolleyes::wacko:

Oh, come on - you can't leave it there - we need the middle bit from the death of Mr Ram to the serving up of the Shepherd's Pie :eat::lol:

And your description of Neil's dancing? - did I tell you I'm busy on every day of every possible future meetup for the next 35 years? :whistle:

Mumble I think you're going to regret asking for this :D

Please be aware that my version has been composed by someone who is certified insane and not great at rhyming :lol:

So the original (bar the first few lines that I never remember to sing) went a little something like this...

Mama, just killed a man,

Put a gun against his head,

Pulled my trigger, now he's dead.

Mama, life had just begun,

But now I've gone and thrown it all away.

Mama ooooo,

Didn't mean to make you cry,

If I'm not back again this time tomorrow,

Carry on, carry on, as if nothing really matters.

Too late, my time has come,

Sends shivers down my spine,

Body's aching all the time.

Goodbye everybody- I've got to go,

Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth.

Mama ooooo (any way the wind blows),

I don't want to die,

I sometimes wish Id never been born at all.....

I see a little silhouetteo of a man,

Scaramouch, Scaramouch will you do the fandango?

Thunderbolt and lightning- very very frightening me!

Galileo, Galileo,

Galileo, Galileo,

Galileo Figaro magnifico.

But I'm just a poor boy and nobody loves me,

He's just a poor boy from a poor family,

Spare him his life from this monstrosity.

Easy come easy go, will you let me go?

Bismillah! No, we will not let you go (let him go)

Bismillah! We will not let you go (let him go)

Bismillah! we will not let you go (let him go)

Will not let you go (let me go)

Will not let you go (let me go)

No, no, no, no, no, no, no!

Mama mia, mama mia, mama mia let me go,

Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me, for me, for meeeeee....

So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye?

So you think you can love me and leave me to die?

Oh baby, cant do this to me baby,

Just gotta get out, just gotta get right outta here.

Nothing really matters,

Anyone can see,

Nothing really matters, nothing really matters to me.

And my version goes (oh dear).....

Mama, just killed a ram,

Put a gun against its head,

Pulled my trigger now it's dead.

Mama, it's life had just begun,

But now I've gone and thrown it all away.

Mama ooooooo,

I just wanted Shepherd's Pie,

But now I'm going to become Vegetarian,

You carry on, carry on, my appetite's in tatters.

Too late, it's nearly done,

Lay the table, pour the wine,

Pretend it's chicken, you'll be fine.

Oh no, b*st*rd b*ll*x, I've got no Oxo!

Go buy some before your father hits the roof!

Mama ooooo (what if the shop's shut now?)

I don't want to die,

I wish that ram had never been born at all....

I see a little silhoutto of the ram,

Holy Sh*t, holy Sh*t I'm having flashbacks oh,

Lunch is not inviting ? it's very very frightening me!

No Tesco! Oh No Tesco!

No Tesco! No Tesco!

No Tescos already closed.

I'm just a poor boy I was just hungry,

He's just a poor boy he wanted Shepherd's Pie for tea,

Spare him his life from this monstrosity!

Sorry dad, shop was shut, I've got no Oxo.

Bismillah! No, we must have some Oxo (Some Oxo!)

Bismillah! We must have some Oxo (Some Oxo!)

Bismillah! We must have some Oxo (Some Oxo!)

Must have some Oxo (Some Oxo!)

Must have some Oxo (Some Oxo!)

No, no, no, no, no, no, no

Mama mia, mama mia, mama mia no Oxo!

Our stupid son has ruined Shepherd's pie for me, for me for meeeee!

So you think you come between me and my pie?

Because there is no Oxo you'll leave me to die?

Oh daddy, cant do this to me daddy,

You've just gotta get out, just gotta get right outta here...

Nothing really matters,

Anyone can see,

Without my Shepherd's pie, nothing really matters to meeeeee!

Yes well a masterpiece it ain't but I've amused myself on many occassions honing my tribute to Shepherd's Pie :D:lol:

I think it's time I was leaving :jester:

Emily

xxx

Anyway just really wanted to let you know that the strange dancing isn't for kids only which is great as because Neil's dancing makes me laugh so much, I've filmed some of it on my mobile and now whenever I'm feeling particularly evil I can threaten to put it on YouTube :devil: Hehehehehehehe!

No matter what you want, no matter how much it costs or whatever, I'll do it... My compliance has been bought (curse you woman, curse you :angry:) :notworthy:

Emily is a music guru to be honest. When it comes to things music she simple rules in our house - you name it she knows it, has heard it, knows who sang it, what sounds similar, what does/doesn't work, when the various beats come in etc. As if that wasn't enough she knows more about dancing than I ever thought possible (with the possible exception of realising just how cutting edge my own street honed moves actually are)(although they are often mistaken for someone having an epileptic fit).

Music doesn't really figure very highly in my world and what there is tends to be...err different (he types while listening to the same 3 tracks form the Outland soundtrack that's been on repeat for the past 8 hours). My mum and dad simply didn't play music when I was growing up so I've tended to find my own niche and do have some pretty weird tastes (like Emily says, basically film soundtracks, cheesy euro-pop, TV Themes, bit of Frank, Dean and Harry Connick Jr.). Like several other people here (or has been noted by people here) I tend to stick either one track or a small number of tracks on repeat and I dread to think what the postman thinks when he knocks on the door and just gets the Jason King theme tune blasted at him (or the time when I got hooked on the snooker theme tune and kept 'funking down' whenever it came on). :wacko:

It's also true that music can have a massive impact and for me it's sometimes the only way to get any sort of emotional response. My grandfather died - nothing. My father died - nothing. My nephew was born - nothing. The theme from Superman comes on - blubbering mess. Could it be that the sensory system connects to the emotional response part of my brain while the emotional processing part of my brain doesn't? This would imply the presence of a brain though...so probably not :dance:

I used to work with a man who I reckon is an aspie. Every song that came on the radio he would have a VERY strong opinion about, and would change the words to make the song about a person at work. He also knows who sung it, the name of the album it was on, AND the track number :o

...so probably not

Probably not.

Emily - you've cheered up just a little bit of Mumble this evening with your 'Shepherd's Pie' version - thanks :)