Sign in to follow this  
Caroline-

Chewing/mouths Things

My son, Hayden (aged 8) has ADHD & Autism. For as long as i can remember he will pick up & chew/mouth anything! This can be anything from coins, marbles, acorns, bits of paper etc. He doesn't swallow them just chews them or puts them in his mouth. I asked the peadiatrician why he thinks he does this & he thinks it might just be one of Hayden's 'obsessions' i was just wondering if anyone else's child/children also do this?

Many thanks :) x

My nearly 6 year old chews everything. He's like a dog! I think it's partly sensory and part not outgrowing that baby reflex to chew. DS has chewed since he was a baby and often the first thing he'll do with an object is put it in his mouth. He is undersensitive to touch and I think he likes the sensations he gets from mouthing objects. We have set things he can chomp on like his chewy tubes or teething rings as he has a habit of chewing on his toys and breaking them. He chews more when he's anxious or agitated too. His AOW gave me a chapter of a book about oral-sensory issues in autism so it's fairly common and it suggested activities like fizzy sweets, sucking thick milkshakes through a straw, blowing bubbles to give this stimulation in other ways. I'm sure my son will be a gum chewer when he's older!

Lx

Hi I read the NAS COMMUNICATIONS magazine and a boy in there had a condition called pica have you heard of this, though it is more a eating non eatable foods.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Hi I read the NAS COMMUNICATIONS magazine and a boy in there had a condition called pica have you heard of this, though it is more a eating non eatable foods.

JsMum

No, i've never heard of pica :unsure:

Forgot to mention that Hayden also likes to sniff everything also, he still has his dummies & won't go to bed without them, he liks one for his mouth & another to sniff - in fact he has eight in total! He won't go out with them, or let anyone else know he has them apart from us, if he knows someone is coming round he'll hide them somewhere, then usually forgets where & then blames me when he can't find them! lol

Tried to introduce, the 'dummy tree' by saying to him, why don't we 'plant' them in a pot, but he just won't part with them :rolleyes:

Both my DS and DH (AS traits undx'd) chew things .....it drives me mad finding all sorts of things with nibbled corners !

Clare x

Both my DS and DH (AS traits undx'd) chew things .....it drives me mad finding all sorts of things with nibbled corners !

Clare x

Yes! I know exactly how you feel, i'm forever picking up bits of chewed paper etc off the floor which have been lobbed in all areas

My son chews his finfer s till they bleed.

If you type into the search engine on youre pc chewy tubes you can get specialy made things for kids that do this that they can chew saftely i got my son one.there all knobbley and come in a few different sizes and colurs and shapes.there aimed at autistics or kids who like to chew and chomp.Its worth a go.This is the link if it works.If not type in Chewy tubes.

.http://www.kapitex.com/index.page.php?page=page.product.chewytubes-range.php&section=dysphagia&range=chewytubes&product=chewytubes-range

JsMum

pica in its most common form is cravings that pregnant women have when things they eat are not edible.. like craving coal..

My 5yr old loves his dummies - but they have to be a particular brand and only the latex ones and only when they are new and smell still!

He can't go anywhere without them and usually he has about 1.! Even if I think I've got them all he still has secret stashes everywhere.

He stucks marbles (only accidently swallowed one so far!) but the rest of the things he puts in his mouth he eats; like dirt, sand, worms, snails (gawd those shells crunch!) so definitely pica with him. :sick:

Sorry that doesn't really help with how to stop him, but I haven't found anyway that actually works yet. :rolleyes:

Jay only does this at night. He chews and sucks the corner of his duvet cover and the corner is always screwed up and soggy and holey, ick! :sick:

Mind you, when I was young I used to eat stones and paper, can't remember why though! :o:unsure:

~ Mel ~

My brother ate bricks and charcoal dog biscuits (even though we didn't have any pets we were regulars in the pet shop!!). I had a thing for some berry type thing that grew in our garden :eat: Shame they were poisonous :sick::lol:

Hi Caroline

Niamh never put things in her mouth (except food!) until she was about 2 and a half and then virtually everything she found went in. This lasted until she was 5. Now at 8 (almost 9), she has started biting her nails and will keep a chewed-off nail in her mouth for ages. She loves apples and for the last 2 years will keep a pip (or 2) in her mouth for ages. In fact, the other day I thnk she kept one in there for about 4 hours, only taking it out for a drink. When i realise she has one in her mouth I try andd get her to take it out, but I might as well talk to a wall.

Oh, and we have to watch her with coind (especially 1ps) as she can if the mood takes her out them in her mouth as well.

She has also been known to put blu-tac up her nose - the last time we were about to take her to A & E when she managed to blow it out :sick:

Emma

Oh, that reminds me, I used to eat dog biscuits as well. I was even known to sample the cat food. :sick::o

Getting a bit peckish now, actually ........................

~ Mel ~

Edited by oxgirl

my son sucks things, everything from the collar on his shirt, to the remote control.

Know what you mean about the quilt, he does that when he is watching dvd's.

He still chews things, but not as much as sucking, we once had a wooden bed, and where he would come into have cuddle time(this being, him at the bottom of the bed).....chewing the edge. Lately he has been chewing his own cheeks, which

wouldnt be too bad, but now is getting alcers, and trying to put bonjella in there is another task!

Another chewer/sucker here (DS, not me, though I do chew my fingernails :whistle: ).

It's definitely a sensory issue and I think it gets worse when he's stressed - he started nursery last week and has chewed holes in the sleeves of FIVE t shirts since last Wednesday :o I'm going to be bankrupt by half term.....

We have books that have been chewed to bits (usually ones he LOVES :rolleyes: ) and loads of ruined toys......

In fact, I'm going to add this to my DLA claim as I honestly have to buy several copies of books/DVDs/toys/jigsaws/sippy cups etc as he gnashes through everything :crying:

Shamu

;)

Edited by shamu

Thanks for all your replies, good to know my son isn't the only chewer/sucker around! lol :thumbs:

Hayden had picked up a conker today that he'd found on his bedroom shelf, brought it into the lounge & started biting bits off, thing is, i know he wouldn't mean to swallow anything but because he leaps about so much & so much so after school (his meds where off by then....lucky me :crying: ) doing his somersaults on the floor etc i have to try & grab it off him, then he thinks it's a game & does it even more....so there's me chasing him about the flat trying in vain to retrieve this darn conker, worried sick that he might choke on a bit & he's laughing his head off :wallbash: in the end he chucked it into the air & was back to chewing paper...phew :lol:

Another chewer/sucker here (DS, not me, though I do chew my fingernails :whistle: ).

It's definitely a sensory issue and I think it gets worse when he's stressed - he started nursery last week and has chewed holes in the sleeves of FIVE t shirts since last Wednesday :o I'm going to be bankrupt by half term.....

We have books that have been chewed to bits (usually ones he LOVES :rolleyes: ) and loads of ruined toys......

In fact, I'm going to add this to my DLA claim as I honestly have to buy several copies of books/DVDs/toys/jigsaws/sippy cups etc as he gnashes through everything :crying:

Shamu

;)

I can relate to the ruined toys, & my things. Puzzles, books even the poor actionman has his head chewed off!! :P

I added all this in the DLA claim too, i even put down that Hayden will chew on cat biscuits & when he's in the bath if i've gone out the bathroom for a second he will put cat biscuits into the bath whilst he's in there! Any razors or sharp objects have to be taken out the bathroom when he's in there, & shampoo etc as he will just tip the whole lot in the water, throws things down the loo......oh the list is endless, needless to say my hand really ached when i came to the end of the 50 page DLA form

I can relate to the ruined toys, & my things. Puzzles, books even the poor actionman has his head chewed off!! :P

I added all this in the DLA claim too, i even put down that Hayden will chew on cat biscuits & when he's in the bath if i've gone out the bathroom for a second he will put cat biscuits into the bath whilst he's in there! Any razors or sharp objects have to be taken out the bathroom when he's in there, & shampoo etc as he will just tip the whole lot in the water, throws things down the loo......oh the list is endless, needless to say my hand really ached when i came to the end of the 50 page DLA form

My caroline i bet your frightened to put any thing down, no seriously i bet its a worry for you must be like following a toddler around, i hope you managed to get your DLA after 50 pages!! chin up Mrs F x

:dance:

yup my 8yr old girl mouths/chews things 2 days on the trot this week shes chewed pens and digested ink! Ive been told it is sensory. some children with ASD sensory avoid and are finicky eaters like they dont like the shells on baked beans, others crave constant sensory feed back in their mouths, some kids are a mix of both, mine is a mix of both but her sensory seeking is worse than the avoiding. I would reccomend getting the book "the out of sync child" it explains all about sensory issues and how you can help. Also look up chewy tubes.

Yes my son used to put things in his mouth all the time as a little tot he would go straght for anybody that came into the lounge to sit down and he would try to chew their shoes Yak, needless to say we had to make sure every one took their shoes off as they came in to the house. He used to put lots of things in his mouth when young. Once I found a cable tac (nail and all) in my sons nappy!! quiet a scary, but he was fine, we ended up having to remover all the cable tacks and case in all the cables in the lounge where he and his twin brother played, just in case dear son tried it again. We never thought for one minute that my two monster escape artists could get over the door guard (only just over a year old at the time!), while I was in the kitchen getting their bottels they escaped and I found AS son with tacks in his hand passing them to his poor brother ended up at casualty with both boys having x-rays and nurse infering I was a bad mother for letting this happen! Well I made the whole house AS son proof after that, dear son still chews his sleeves and pen tops pencils and a like which I find very odd because he is soooo germ a phobic. Oh well thats my boy.

Anna

My son will chew too but not too the extent where it drives me mad or is that because I chose to ignore it?!

Mostly he chews the collar of his t-shirts and jackets also quilt cover but just lately it's been paper and it's gross!!

The OT said it's sensory and advised to promote it more but in the way of crunchy foods i.e. cold ice pops, dried cereal, carrotts etc.

I think the best thing to do is so a picture list of things he can chew and things he can't chew because then he can see visually what is ok to chew, also keep a small selection of things he can chew next to where he is sitting/playing i.e. dried cereal in a bowl. >:D<<'>

My caroline i bet your frightened to put any thing down, no seriously i bet its a worry for you must be like following a toddler around, i hope you managed to get your DLA after 50 pages!! chin up Mrs F x

:dance:

Hi Mrs F :)

lol, yes you are right! I have to be so careful with what i leave lying about the place. And yes, i've often said to my husband that it's like having a two year old all over again. Again today when i picked Hayden up from school he ran ahead of me & straight across the road (we still have no lollipop lady/man)

Still waiting to hear back from the DLA, they wrote & thanked me for my application which they said they recieved on the 20th of Sept (hope they back date!) i know it can take weeks so i hope it turns out ok. Spoke to one of the dads at my sons school today, he has a son who has ADHD & Aspergers & he told me that he gets middle rate care & lower rate mobility for his son, i'm hoping for the same for Hayden

Hi Mrs F :)

lol, yes you are right! I have to be so careful with what i leave lying about the place. And yes, i've often said to my husband that it's like having a two year old all over again. Again today when i picked Hayden up from school he ran ahead of me & straight across the road (we still have no lollipop lady/man)

Still waiting to hear back from the DLA, they wrote & thanked me for my application which they said they recieved on the 20th of Sept (hope they back date!) i know it can take weeks so i hope it turns out ok. Spoke to one of the dads at my sons school today, he has a son who has ADHD & Aspergers & he told me that he gets middle rate care & lower rate mobility for his son, i'm hoping for the same for Hayden

Well after 50 pages you certainly deserve something, i realy dont know anything about DLA so cant help there but good luck. Mrs F x

Well after 50 pages you certainly deserve something, i realy dont know anything about DLA so cant help there but good luck. Mrs F x

Thanks very much Mrs F, i'll keep you 'posted' lol :thumbs: