pearl

Old F*rts Thread

I remember our first family telly... (Of course the less said about the dodgy black bin liner it arrived in, at the dead of night, the better.. :whistle::unsure::o:lol:)

And shepherds pie on a saturday - wheeled out on the garishly gold trolley thing. If we were really lucky, we had tom sauce!

My dad was so cheap! :rolleyes:

Oh God, I'd almost managed to erase Shepherd's pie from my memory :sick:

Anyone else have it with instant potato flakes on top, or tinned, boiled potatoes...yuck!

Hostess trollies, sideboards with mirrored interior doors that opened up into a sophisticated cocktail cabinet, there's a whole wealth of gruesome and truly revolting furniture out there. Lurking.

My auntie had a space hopper and she gave it to me, and I gave it to my brother, who passed it onto a friend of the family, and I don't know what he did with it but he's 10 now, and I bet the space hopper is dead, but it certainly had a good life!

I remember andy pandy and tress trans missions

Can remember having my first radio off my nan for xmas for my 13th birthday - and listening to this night in night out - under the covers with ear phones in - while my parents thought I was sleeping!!!!!!!

Disco's - beef flavour mmmmmmmmmmm - found these recently in our local spar 5pkts for a �1!!! - also beef Puffs (I think they were made by Burtons).........

Also our first phone - I think was called a 'Trimphone' (or something like that)......and everyone seemed to have 'party lines' which meant you could hear other peoples conversations sometimes when you picked the phone up.

I love this thread - full of nostalgia and memories...........

Take care,

Jb

ooh - and Sunday evenings being the most boring ever - while my dad listened to the radio - 'sing something simple' used to blare out and it used to drive me simple............

Do kids nowadays still have their gloves on string through the back of their coats ?

Balaclava's, huge navy blue knickers for PE, boiled cabbage and beef cobbler !!!!!

I look like I've had two space hoppers surgically implanted into my bottom :ph34r:

:lol::lol::lol:

Shake yer booty, Baggy.

Or should that be, shake yer baggy booty!

go here for sweeties of old stuff

yummmmmmm

OMG

Now that's what I call wicked.... you know I am going to have to put that webbie on as a "favourite" :lol:

Remember Sputnik

(first satelite, launched 50yrs ago)

Catch a falling Sputnik

Put it in a matchbox

Send it to the USA

They'll be glad to get it

Oh, so glad to get it

Send it to the USA

Sunday nights boring! With Tommy Trinder telling all those jokes on Sunday Night at the London Palladium. My favorite programme.

Remember Sputnik

(first satelite, launched 50yrs ago)

Catch a falling Sputnik

Put it in a matchbox

Send it to the USA

They'll be glad to get it

Oh, so glad to get it

Send it to the USA

Sunday nights boring! With Tommy Trinder telling all those jokes on Sunday Night at the London Palladium. My favorite programme.

Blimey I think I have found someone older than me on here :o

*abandons zimmer frame & skips happily into sunset*

I remember our first family telly... (Of course the less said about the dodgy black bin liner it arrived in, at the dead of night, the better.. :whistle::unsure::o:lol:)

And shepherds pie on a saturday - wheeled out on the garishly gold trolley thing. If we were really lucky, we had tom sauce!

My dad was so cheap! :rolleyes:

I remember going to a friends house to watch the cup final as his parents were the only people in the village with a colour telly.

And our next door neighbours had a hostess trolley - the height of social sophistication in the early '70's, as advertised on TV! Does anyone else remember them?

Simon

I remember Pinky and Perky too - I still have their record 'The Pushbike song'

I remember when you could buy sweets for half a pence

I remember when Mcdonalds didn't exist

I remember my first love - Donny Osmond

I remember my first LP - dAVID Soul!!!!!!

I remember when the Christmas adverts didn't start so early!!!

I remember buying a bag of chips for 10p

I remember when space dust first came out!

I can't remember why I didn't make the most of being young and carefree!!!! :unsure:

Gail

And crocheted.........everything............ :sick::lol:

I was forever being attacked by my mums new crocheted spider plant holders...

I swear they were breeding when no-one was looking..

And eating Rubarb fresh out of the ground - and then legging it 'coz the owner of the rubarb was shouting at me... :whistle:

And chickens in the garden, and making a play house out of the coalbunker :blink: Ohhh and mud pies.

:D

Edited by smiley

Things I was desperate for, but wasn't allowed to have by my dear mama because she thought they were *whisper* common :o:shame: ...

Ponchos (first time round)

Patent leather shoes

Thick twisty wool at the end of my plaits (I had to have blue or red ribbons)

Findus pancakes (OK, she was right about this :sick: )

Margerine

Tap dancing lessons

Shoes with any kind of a heel

Flicks in my hair

Tea bags

Sliced bread

'Fancy' dresses

To say 'toilet'

To call her 'mum'

I could go on, although spookily she does now use margerine, sliced bread and tea bags and answers to 'mum'! :lol:

Boho :dance:

And as for hostess trollies... ;)

Edited by bid

:lol: Bid, you've just reminded me of my brother chucking one (just the one mind..! :blink: ) of his new really ugly shoes into the pond - told mum he'd lost it.... :lol:

And i can remember messing about with a friend - you know the game, flick your leg so your shoe goes flying....... Only my shoe ended up in someones garden :whistle: (co-ordination was not my strong point...) - and then begging my brother to go in and get it! :ph34r::lol:

Edited by smiley

Ooooooooooooo, I had a poncho!! :lol:

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd I went to see David Soul in concert at the Catford Town Hall!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, happy days. :D

~ Mel ~

I look like I've had two space hoppers surgically implanted into my bottom :ph34r:

I look like I've had two space hoppers surgically implanted into my ................ no, it's no good, I can't say it with a straight face! :bounce::bounce:

~ Mel ~

I look like I've had two space hoppers surgically implanted into my ................ no, it's no good, I can't say it with a straight face! :bounce::bounce:

~ Mel ~

Better get a bigger sports bra :lol:

Does anyone remember making manky "perfume" out of rose petals, & your mum had to pretend to be pleased about it?

I remember going to a friends house to watch the cup final as his parents were the only people in the village with a colour telly.

And our next door neighbours had a hostess trolley - the height of social sophistication in the early '70's, as advertised on TV! Does anyone else remember them?

Simon

That always reminds me of "Lets do it" by Victoria Wood...

Bend me over backwards on me hostess trolley

Lets do it, lets do it toniiiiiiight!

Does anyone remember making manky "perfume" out of rose petals, & your mum had to pretend to be pleased about it?

Yep!

i used to love sherbert dib dabs.

i remember school cabbage, used to get it with 2 round scoops of shiny mash. And i remember we used to put salt in the water jugs at school.

Did Kit Kats once have four fingers? im sure they did.

There used to be tv ads for labour saving devices - possibly Remington?. One of them was for a thing that allowed you to basically implant bits of plastic into clothes instead of sewing buttons on. Someone (possibly my dad) bought one for my mum's xmas pressie. Not only would I have implanted the plastic in the eye of the person that thought it was a present - and my god it looked awful.

There used to be tv ads for labour saving devices - possibly Remington?. One of them was for a thing that allowed you to basically implant bits of plastic into clothes instead of sewing buttons on. Someone (possibly my dad) bought one for my mum's xmas pressie. Not only would I have implanted the plastic in the eye of the person that thought it was a present - and my god it looked awful.

That was 'Ronco' - the 'buttoneer'... they also did a clothes brush with a velcro type head that cleaned up pet hairs - probably called the 'hair-o-matic' as most of their products ended with 'o-matic' - and then wiped them off again when you reversed the head and brushed again. Why they made it swivel-headed I have no idea: It just made it weaker/more breakable and you could achieve the same effect by rubbing in the opposite direction (fnar fnar). There was also the Kleen-o-matic LP cleaner. You stood an LP in it sideways on an turned the handle and it cleaned it. That was the theory, at least. In practice, the LP would usually 'jump' out of the slot and fly across the room and chip its edges off on the skirting board. I think one of the big selling features for most of their products were they were ambidextrous. In reality, they just worked equally badly upside down! As well as the buttoneer they made a hand-held sewing machine, about the size of a hole punch and just as effective! Oh and I've just remembered one for doind press studs which was called the "Popper-matic". They couldn't call it the "Pop-o-matic" because that was being used by Chad Valley (yak yak) as a name for the dice-rolling bubble mechanism in the middle of their board games! :lol:

You could always buy cheap copies of their stuff at "mah-kits" ('lawks a mercy, I've got a barra load o' these to shift, so if ya buys the button-bopper I'll throw in the Discduster fer free')

God, I'm sad....

L&P

BD :D