pearl

Old F*rts Thread

Anyone under 40 can come in & snigger at us, too.

OK I'll start us off:

I remember Old Money.

I remember the Rag & Bone man. You gave him your junk & he gave you a balloon.

I remember when tights were invented.

I remember when there wasnt any Lycra.

I remember when the cream on the top of the milk was considered a healthy nourishing drink.

I remember when I had a bath & hairwash ONCE A WEEK :sick:

I remember black & white TV.

I remember when there were only 2 channels.

But I've forgotten where I've left my mobile phone.........

I remember when rock was young......

Me and suzie had so much fun

Whooooops - sorry, wrong thread! Where's 'Name that tune' got to???

I remember... and i remember don't worry... How could I ever forget? it's the first toime, the last time, we ever met t t t...

Phil Collins - the music worlds answer to Warm Milk and fresh cotton sheets...

zzzzzzzzzzz

Seriously, i remember the pinguins! :lol:

And wagon wheels that were this big >:D<<'>

And Bleep and Booster

And Hoppity (Diddly dum, Diddly dee)

And a rabbit called Hartley and a Pig with a Dudley accent

And Tinga & Tucker and Auntie Jean & the wibbly-wobbly-way

and Pinky and Perky (and that's NOT a reference to Linda Lusardi ;))

And I remember most of all being able to get out of an armchair without going 'urgh' :)

L&P

BD :D

I remember Listen with Mother

I remember Andy Pandy, Little Weed and the flower pot men

I remember old and new money....not forgetting the 1/2 p and remember being able to buy 2 packets of crisps for 5p

I remember sweet cigerettes and that coconut tabacco, a quarter of cough candy and penny chews - fruit salad and black jacks

Had my first hot pants at 6 years old

Platforms inches high

I remember our outside toilet and our twin tub washer...

But I can't remember what happend yesterday.....

Clare x x x

Ooh I remember all that Clare!

Bill & Ben

The Woodentops

Torchy, Torchy the Battery Boy......

Crisps came in plain only with a little blue waxed twist of paper with salt inside.

I think the first flavoured ones were cheese & onion, followed by salt & vinegar.

I remember when yogurt was exotic.

I wish I had a clue what you were all talking about . . . :P

I can only assume you're reminiscing about some meetup at a musuem you all forgot to invite me too . . . :(

I remember old money too and I'm only 32 (although sometimes feel about 62 LOL)! they still had 1/2 p when I was little - and big 5 pences, and no 20 pences, and paper pounds!

I remember getting my first 10 shilling note, bathing in a tin bath in front of the fire, irons that weren't electric, toasting crumpets in front of the fire, and earning �1.50 for my first job at the hairdressers for working from 8am to 6pm, the jukebox we had in our front room, the french onion seller on his bicycle , the coal deliveries, .....oh dear!

And just thought - who remembers when baby feeding bottles were actually made of glass?!

Edited by barefoot wend

I remember when in mcdonalds you could buy a pen on a bit of string that hung around your neck you could get ronald the robber and other people who i cant remember, also remember when they started doing sausage and eggg muffins my whole family went to mcdonalds to try one in wembley high rd how sad!!!

I remember when there was no such thing as McDonalds in this country, and going to the first one to open in the UK in Marble

Arch not lomng after in opened in 1975!

I remember when in mcdonalds you could buy a pen on a bit of string that hung around your neck you could get ronald the robber and other people who i cant remember, also remember when they started doing sausage and eggg muffins my whole family went to mcdonalds to try one in wembley high rd how sad!!!

I remember when at school a tanner (sixpence) could buy you a packet of crisps and either a jammy dodger pack or a raspberry ruffle bar.

Also remember Galaxy counters and our tv (black and white with big push in buttons) when you turned it off went to a spot in the middle of the screen and there was no telly after around midnight.

I can remember when microwave ovens first became popular that they told you not to be near them in use because of the rays.

I remember having my first pair of high waisters and also wearing a maxi-dress to a school disco (primary!) - and those plastic see-through long macs (in green or white). When a birthday party was unheard of (other than your cousins coming round for tea).

When people went on day trips with the local bus companies, and loads of our family (about 10)would squeeze in a 4birth caravan at Trecco Bay (that someone my nan knew up the road let out) for our summer holiday.

When having a bottle of bubble bath (Matey!!!) was an acceptable and grateful pressie from somone at xmas.

Also remember the first chinese takeaway coming to our town - and people not being able to afford takeaways - it was considered a mega treat.

Dandelion and burdock pop in flagons from the pop van - and endless summers......................

Take care,

Jb

Edited by jb1964

Can anyone fill in the blanks? I am too young to remember.... :whistle::whistle:

????????? - The milk chocolate that melts in your mouth, not in your hands.

Would you risk it for a ????????? ?

????????? - the longer-lasting snack.

You can stand it with a ?????????

Who knows the secret of the ????????? box?

Because the lady loves ?????????

Are you a ????????? Nut case?

A ????????? is just enough to give the kids a treat

Thank ????????? it's Friday

????????? ... full of Eastern promise!

????????? taste as different as they look!

????????? it's the honeycomb middle that weighs so little.

Simon

Can anyone fill in the blanks? I am too young to remember.... :whistle::whistle:

Maltesers - The milk chocolate that melts in your mouth, not in your hands.

Would you risk it for a ????????? ?

Kit Kat - the longer-lasting snack.

Who knows the secret of the Black Magic box?

Because the lady loves Milk Tray

Are you a fruit and Nut case?

A finger of fugde is just enough to give the kids a treat

Thank Crunchie it's Friday

Turkish delight ... full of Eastern promise!

Maltesers it's the honeycomb middle that weighs so little.

Simon

Obviously I'm too young for a couple!!!!!!!!

Edited by jb1964

I remember when there was no such thing as McDonalds in this country, and going to the first one to open in the UK in Marble

Arch not lomng after in opened in 1975!

I remember that as well at the time I lived in Wembley when the one was built on the high rd everone was so excited!!

Obviously I'm too young for a couple!!!!!!!!

Nearly

Kit-kat is not the longer-lasting snack and Maltesers do melt in your hand!

Simon

Nearly

Kit-kat is not the longer-lasting snack and Maltesers do melt in your hand!

Simon

Treats, melt in your mouth, not in your hand.

Twix, the longer lasting snack.

I love this thread, but I'm sorting a Harvest festival at the moment. Don't go away, I'll be back!

We've still got a rag and bone man :lol: So many memories reading thru this thead, lovely :thumbs: When I used to visit my nana and grandad, I used to love the sound of the milkman, and all the chinking of bottles. My grandad would pour the cream off the top (if the birds hadn't got there first) and then mix it with sugar and give it to me for breakfast :D I remember having to go to the loo outside too when we visited. Getting half a pence to go the local shop for loads of sweeties....loved the coloured sherbets, all rainbow colours. Everything was cooked the fatty way, and everyone smoked, even around us kiddies. I used to love the pretend ciggies you could eat, and my mum used to send me to the shop, with a note, to buy hers. My favourite toys were my chopper bike and penny puppy walker....ooooh, and looby loo :wub: Having a fella come round in a van, which was a shop. Can't really remember much telly.....always seemed to be out. Fish n chips out the paper, on a friday night, with Dandelion and Burdock :wub: School.........eek, remember kids being caned and whacked on hands with rulers..........and having blackboard erasers being hurled across the room at you :unsure: Listening to the Top 40 countdown with all my friends on the radio, and taping my fav songs. Morcambe and Wise Xmas specials :wub:

Edited by Bagpuss

Listening to the Top 40 countdown with all my friends on the radio, and taping my fav songs.

Ooh yes I used to do that. It was on on a Sunday night and I'd pretend to be doing my homework while listening and getting ready to pounce on the 'record' button when the best songs were on... I also used to smoke out of my bedroom window :shame: As for being sent to the shop with a note for cigs, my parents didn't smoke so I used to forge the notes just to get my own :o:shame:

we have left:

Would you risk it for a ??????????

the last one is the hardest.

Simon

Would you risk it for a swisskit!

I remember saving my pocket money to buy records - sadly such classics as Engelbert Humperdinck's 'Please release me' and even Des O'Connor with 'One,Two,Three O'Leary' (and he's still on telly!). And who remembers 'Lily the Pink'?

In those days records stayed at Number One for ages. I even went to see Freddie and the Dreamers in panto

- I'll get my coat.

I remember old money too and I'm only 32 (although sometimes feel about 62 LOL)! they still had 1/2 p when I was little - and big 5 pences, and no 20 pences, and paper pounds!

You are talking about old NEW money arent you?

The REALLY ancient among us remember old OLD money - pounds, shillings and pence! :lol:

we have left:

Would you risk it for a ??????????

You can stand it with a Bandit

Discos taste as different as they look! - I LOVED discos

the last one is the hardest.

Simon

I thought Minstrels melt in your mouth and not in your hand??

You are talking about old NEW money arent you?

The REALLY ancient among us remember old OLD money - pounds, shillings and pence! :lol:

I suppose I sort of am LOL Although I definitely used to get a sixpence in my Christmas Pud till I was about 3!

I remember when Wimpey was the only fast food place around. Their knickerbocker glories were :eat:

I thought Minstrels melt in your mouth and not in your hand??

Treets and Minstrels are one and the same thing, a bit like Marathon and Snickers. I think the slogan was used for both.

Would you risk it for a swisskit!

I remember saving my pocket money to buy records - sadly such classics as Engelbert Humperdinck's 'Please release me' and even Des O'Connor with 'One,Two,Three O'Leary' (and he's still on telly!). And who remembers 'Lily the Pink'?

In those days records stayed at Number One for ages. I even went to see Freddie and the Dreamers in panto

- I'll get my coat.

All together now....

Weeeeee'll

Drink we'll drink we'll drink

To Lily the Pink the Pink the Pink

The saviour of the human ra ha hace

For she invented

Medicinal Compound

Most efficacious in every way B)

Radio Caroline (C-A-R-O-L-I-N-E, Caroline, Caroline, Caaaaaroline)

Radio Luxembourg.....

John Peel 10 o clock every night, got me through my first term at uni

Talking of medicinal compounds, I remember when my mum used to give me a big spoon of cod liver oil and malt every day! I can still remember the taste now, thick and black like treacle it was!! :sick:

~ Mel ~

I'm a happy knocker upper

And I'm popular besides

Cos I wake 'em with a cuppa

And tasty Mothers Pride

Question: which quintessentially cool 60's chanteuse starred in this ad?

Talking of medicinal compounds, I remember when my mum used to give me a big spoon of cod liver oil and malt every day! I can still remember the taste now, thick and black like treacle it was!! :sick:

~ Mel ~

Remember Rosehip Syrup?

And did your dad rub Camphorated Oil on your chest in the winter?

We shouldn't forget old english spangles and fruit polos either.

Anyone under 30 won't have a clue what I am talking about!

Simon

I was banned from spangles... I used to choke on them EVERY time I ever had one. My mum is still traumatised now!

Treats, melt in your mouth, not in your hand.

Twix, the longer lasting snack.

Drat....... I knew it had two fingers........

Jb

Radio Luxembourg.....

Can remember having my first radio off my nan for xmas for my 13th birthday - and listening to this night in night out - under the covers with ear phones in - while my parents thought I was sleeping!!!!!!!

Disco's - beef flavour mmmmmmmmmmm - found these recently in our local spar 5pkts for a �1!!! - also beef Puffs (I think they were made by Burtons).........

Also our first phone - I think was called a 'Trimphone' (or something like that)......and everyone seemed to have 'party lines' which meant you could hear other peoples conversations sometimes when you picked the phone up.

I love this thread - full of nostalgia and memories...........

Take care,

Jb

ooh - and Sunday evenings being the most boring ever - while my dad listened to the radio - 'sing something simple' used to blare out and it used to drive me simple............

Edited by jb1964