Sign in to follow this  
lorryw

Further education

My friend recently (November) her sons annual review. It was agrred that the placement would continue until July 2006 (when he reaches 19). He attends an FE unit for ASD children within a special needs school. My friend has been awaiting written confirmation of the review when out of the blue she had a telephone call explaining that the unit was changing its criteria from Sept 05 and would be taking pupils with challenging behaviour ans ASD. They explained that this meant friends son was no longer suitable for the unit and could no longer fund him. Her only option (according to them) was for her to apply to a local 6th form coolege, have him rejected and then they could consider keeping him on.

This sounds a total mess as far as Im concerned and my friend is completely stressed out. She has no idea who to turn to for impartial advice. We have both had dealings with Parents in Partnership who were a complete waste of space. Any ideas or suggestions would be a real help.

I still find it hard to believe that even this late in the game our children are still messed around by a so called education sytem.

cheers Loraine

Hello Lorryw,

Who phoned your friend to tell her of the criteria changes? Was it the LEA or the college itself?

Your friend should ask the LEA for a copy of the recorded information taken from the review meeting, she should also get a copy of the placement criteria from the college, just to make sure that the information she has been given is correct.

If it is correct, then she should meet with the LEA to find out what her options are.

They explained that this meant friends son was no longer suitable for the unit and could no longer fund him.

Sounds as if it comes down to money yet again. Your friend should ask why there is a problem with the funding.

I didn't think local authorities could decline finding once thay had agreed provision in a statement. The statement sets out the requirements, and the Local Authority have a legal obligation to meet them. Certainly worth threatening a tribunal over.

Simon

Thanks guys, Ill pass the information on to her.

Apparently it was a woman from Connections who broke the news and then added that she couldnt be contacted because she didnt have an office. All questions would have to be directed through school. Could it be made any harder??

As far as I know, local colleges have to be approached ( and reject the child) prior to an approach being made to any FE special provision (even if the child is already in the school). The Connexions person is responsible for organising these approaches - are you sure that she just hasn't messed up? The Review is not "legal" until it has been accepted by the LEA.

Karen