Pippin

Hacked off!!!

There is finally a secondary level unit for high functioning ASD/Aspergers in Swansea!!! Great!!! But..........it opened this September and took 8 (year 7)pupils. There are 8 more booked for next years year 7........they are then full until that lot leave!!!! So no kids will have a place for the next 4 years. Is this barmy or what!!!??? What's the point of a unit which can only take 2/5 of the kids who need it??? Ah, I have it!!! The LEA can look good cos they have "provision". All they need is another teacher and one more room and they could provide for nearly all the kids who really need a place. That's got to be better value than spreading them around in less than suitable schools and having to provide extra help for them.

Arghhhhhhhh!!

A letter to the local newspaper and councilors sounds like a good idea to me

I think you have nowt to lose if you take it up with the mp, also how about 1 step furtherand getting a a petition done too to increas the side, try and get a few more parents fighting the same argument and people will listen >:D<<'>

Well, I've started with an email to the boss at the LEA...and then it's straight to the Assembly and the papers. It's such an insane thing to do in the first place!!! Where's that head-banging icon when I need it!

Similar situation in our area. Our local mainstream secondary has just opened an ASD unit.......only about 8 places........with vast amount of parents fighting for a place :(

That's Wales and the Welsh Assembly for you unfortunately! Basically as useful as a chocolate teapot!

I had to move from a big city in Wales to the Welsh Valleys just to get T into a half decent school that understands him and boyyy, have we hit the jackpot! :D

:unsure: The largest sec school in Carmarthen is supposed to be getting an all singing and dancing SEN unit next year. I was thrilled, that took away the concerns about secondary for my daughter in 5 yrs. Now I'm worried again :unsure:

A x

I really hate all the hidden agendas of LEAs and the political football that has no consideration to the essential needs of people who basically are supposed to serve and care for.

The only thing to do is to keep fighting and be as loud as you can.

Good luck.

I felt so lucky when my son got a place in a school with ASD unit. Now I'm not sure it was the best for him because not all the staff understand AS and my son is still very unhappy.

Curra

In our area we have only just got an ASD unit within a middle school, the head is really worried as there is no secondary provision in our area at all. :wallbash: Nick has to leave his school at the end of year 9, and he has to start college early and do his GCSEs there, as there is no secondary school able to take him. The school he is at now is an EBD school with an ASD class, only going up to year 9 :wallbash:

I had the same Pippin being in Cardiff, the school I wanted him to go to was full and we would have had to wait a few years to get him in!! Everyone was going to tribunal for places at the high school at Cathays and there wasn't enough places!

Thank god we got a place for the DS at the private school 9 miles away from us or we would have been well stuffed!

In the end I went to the papers, I had the Echo and HTV news lined up to meet with us! I called it off as we were still in talks with the LEA. They did catch wind of it and thats what I think swung it for us, our determination to get a secondary school for our son.

I have to agree with Curra, my lad is in an ASD Unit attached to a mainstream secondary and it sounds ideal on paper, but in reality it certainly is not. I wish I had found a good secondary or special school instead. Really it depends on the people working in the school and their attitudes and abilities and not the facility itself. Our Unit is tiny and very cramped and the conditions and resources are very poor indeed. Next year, when our lad goes over to the upper site, the Unit there comprises of a single room and a toilet to accomodate all the students!! Absolutely nowhere for them to retreat to or get away from each other. At least in a special school there is plenty of room and much better facilities, presumably.

I hope the new Unit they are building is brilliant and offers wonderful facilities, but ours certainly does not and falls well short. :tearful:

~ Mel ~

I really hate all the hidden agendas of LEAs and the political football that has no consideration to the essential needs of people who basically are supposed to serve and care for.

The only thing to do is to keep fighting and be as loud as you can.

Good luck.

ITA with you, you have to make as much fuss as possible or you don't get anything!