Canopus

My new job

After all the fuss with the referees - and one hasn't been contacted yet - I am starting my new job on Monday. There is something I am a bit concerned about. The job is a contract position and legally I class as being a self employed contractor as opposed to a full employee of the organisation. I can also be given the boot with only 1 weeks rather than 1 months notice. I'm now wondering what my rights are when it comes to problems resulting from AS. The organisation has an occupational health department but can they offer support or am I exempt from their services in some way?

It's impossible to know how they work. You really need to ask them.

Congratulations on the new job!

Edited by Tally

Hi Canopus - Congrats on the new job! :thumbs:

I can only advise considering the company I work for but this is how It works within there:

Contractors can be given the sack with a weeks notice - but the upside to you is that equally you'd only ever need to work a weeks notice rather than a month. The pays generally better being a contractor but usually you do not get access to the 'companys' 'perks' like private healthcare, Occupational health etc.

But...it may well be different where you will be working, I can only speak of my own experience.

Do they have a website at all for employees where maybe HR policys and such are available ?

Hi canopus,

I have absolutely no idea on the 'serious' stuff here, but did want to add my congratulations to the thread.

Great news :)

L&P

BD :D

Congratulations, Canopus! :thumbs:

I don't really have any advice wirh regard to OH...have you told your new employer that you have AS?

Bid :)

As a manager myself, I would suggest that it may be worth talking to the HR department in the first instance, and if necessary, explaining to them how it may impact on your role there. If you are up for it, a conversation on the subject with your line manager in the first couple of weeks will probably help them. They will probably not have a clue about AS unless you tell them. If you don't feel able to do that, then pointing them towards some web links on the subject, or giving them some handouts would help them.

As for your 'rights' I think that legally you don't have many - but it depends on the terms and conditions of your contract. The fact that they have taken you on shows that they want the skills that you offer. If I was your manager I would want to know about any 'conditions' that would impact on how well you carry out that role - but I can appreciate that I'm probably not a good example in this instance!

And I nearly forgot to say, congratulations!

Edited by zaman

I'm now wondering what my rights are when it comes to problems resulting from AS. The organisation has an occupational health department but can they offer support or am I exempt from their services in some way?

Hi Canopus

Contractor or not you are still able to make enquiries about their policies. I suggest you casually chat with them to see where you stand. If they are unable to surely they will suggest alternatives.

I imagine they would be very accomodating.

All the best

Fxx

I have now finished my first day. It was really an induction day as I haven't been assigned any work to do yet. Occupational health was mentioned as part of a presentation so presumably I have access to their services, but will enquire with them tomorrow.

It would be good to make yourself known to them. It would be better to prevent any problems before they occur, or at least deal with them in the early stages, than wait until a problem occurs and say, "oh but I have AS." Glad the first day went well. Good luck with the 'real' work.