Sign in to follow this  
callum

roaccutane

i have acne and get bullied, so i got an appointment to see a dermatologist.. i think they will presrcribe me roaccutane, but how long before i get the medication? i want a clearer face before i go back to my new school after the half term

i have acne and get bullied, so i got an appointment to see a dermatologist.. i think they will presrcribe me roaccutane, but how long before i get the medication? i want a clearer face before i go back to my new school after the half term

hi callum,

i am 32 yr old woman with acne... had for 7 years. the roaccutane clears up acne but can have harsh side effects. it can even make people irritable and aggressive. i have been offered this but will not have it because of the damage it can do to the body. make sure you consider all the options before accepting this as treament. besides dermatologists dont like to prescribe this...if you do have this drug.. it will take a few weeks to see an improvement. this treatment can take as long as 4-6 months..to clear completely.

have you considered looking at light therapy- n-lite treatment.? sadly not available on nhs, but is only 3 separate treatments

i understand that acne can damage your self esteem and make you target of bullying. i have been through all that. i hope you get sorted....

thanks so much, after reading your post i got quite scared lol... i'm going to see a dermatologist wedneysday and i think he'll prescribe it.. and have you any idea what light treatment might cost? :S

thanks so much, after reading your post i got quite scared lol... i'm going to see a dermatologist wedneysday and i think he'll prescribe it.. and have you any idea what light treatment might cost? :S

yes n-lite light therapy can cost about �450 for a 3months treatment inclusive of the glycolic acid face cleansers.. which are about �70 a bottle. it does vary from person to person on how quickly your skin will clear.. but if you look on the net for n-lite websites ( eden clinic is one of them) you can see for yourself the dramatic effect after just 1 treatment and after 3 treatments.

i do understand how you must feel.. my own acne is made worse because i cant stop picking at my face..i cant cover it up .. its there on show for everyone to see..

also dermabrasion is cheaper and quick and can help the skin to clear up as it works by deep cleaning the bottom layers of the dermis.. but im not sure that it gets rid of acne completely.

Good luck with the dermatologist, Callum. :thumbs: Have you tried getting antibiotic lotion from your doc? It is a clear liquid that comes in a roller and you roll it onto the skin. It starts to clear the skin after a few weeks and can make a big difference.

Good luck. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Hi Callum,

My son also suffers from acne but the dermatolist didn't give him anything. I asked the pharmacist for something effective (not the usual stuff which doesn't really work for acne) and she gave me PanOxyl which you can buy without a prescription. It's a gel that you have to apply on your skin after washing your face thoroughly with soap and water. My son's acne is not 100% gone but there has been a big improvement in a few weeks.

Good luck! :)

Curra

Just to say that I was on roaccutane as a teenager. Unfortunately it didn't work for me because what caused the breakout was the contraceptive pill I was on - and if you're female you have to be taking the contraceptive pill before they will prescribe you roaccutane because of the high risk to preganancies.

A friend was on it the same time and saw fantastic results though. Neither of us had too bad side effects but we were very closely monitored and had blood tests monthly to check liver function etc so if there had been any bad effects they would have been picked up quickly.

Lynne x

My son is just recovering from the side effects of this drug. Im not meaning to scare you here, but the side effects if you are prone to them are horrible. My son suffered what they called a rare side effect, in that it was picked up during regular blood tests, that his liver was not coping with the drug, this caused him a yellow tinge and he became very depressed, and paronoid.

Docs took him off it, only to put him on it when the levels had settled. The next blood test showed he was anemic, and spent 2 months on iron tablets, putting up with constipation as a result. The moods returned, but his face cleared up a treat. The next lot of bloods however showed that his neutrophil levels were dangerously low, and he ended up in hospital. he was very lucky not to get an infection during these weeks as it could have turned very nasty. 2 months on and he is getting stronger, he still needs regular blood tests to make sure everything is getting back to normal.

But after all this nothing has been achieved because his acne has come back. He did clear up lovely, so now hes more depressed than ever. He has had long term meds for this problem, and nothing has worked, the one thing that did work nearly killed him and can never be tried again.

I hope if you do accept these meds you find it effective and with no side effects.

shaz

Edited by pingu