Sign in to follow this  
jools

IEP targets

finally got a new iep and the targets are:

1. social skills group work is now incorporated into his sen timetable. G is to work on interacting with other children and adults appropriately (how?, not a specific or measurable target?)

2. numeracy: 1 digit per square and to be encouraged to show or explain working out (i'm ok with this one)

3. G is to work on his editing skills and ideas by reading a range of books (not sure about this one. seems a bit wishy washy to me. he will read but only non fiction and only if it interests him. he won't read fiction.)

hubbie got this from the class teacher last night. he told her he wasn't happy and didn't think they were specific or measurable. today the senco has asked to meet him after half term which i suspect is because they won't change the targets.

what do you think of them?

Edited by jools

Don't you have to sign the IEP to say that you agree with the targets? :whistle: You can always say that you feel that they need to be more specific.

If you get no joy from the senco then speak to the head about your concerns ( if the meeting doesn't go well make sure you tell the senco that you will do this - so they don't feel you are going behind their back)

After that then it's up to the SEN governor - but hopefully the senco will see that these are objectives rather than targets and that you need the IEP to show the steps that G needs to take to attain the objectives.

Hi Jools. sorry not replied soner but been away. I agree that the IEP is not suitable. I have my own son with ASD and also work in a playgroup setting. we have to write IEP's for some of our children and i am SENCO. We have been told that they should be small achieveable targets, very short and very specific to show how the targets are going to be met. if the targets cannot realistically be met within the timescale given then they should be made smaller, or likewise if they can be achieved very quickly, a review would have to be alooked into sooner. Not sure what to suggest, but you need to sign to say you agree with the IEP so a meeting with the teacher and SENCO would be good to disguse what has been written and why.

well!

hubbie went to see the class teacher before half term. she agreed to look again at the targets.

today hubbie was called in by senco and told the targets are fine. what is our problem!

we are questioning the professionalism of the school!!!!

she got quite angry with him and made him feel like a naughty school child

i'm so angry i can't stop crying :tearful:

Hi Jools >:D<<'> Sorry for you and hubby.

I agree with what others have said that the IEP has to be agreed with you :wallbash::wallbash: I just am not sure what you can do next if the Senco does as she wishes.If parent partnership are helpful it would be worth giving them a call.Karen.

Those targets need to be more specific and why can't he just stick with non-fiction if he wants to? One of my kids ( a non-Aspie) read encylopedias until he was about 12 years old and he's planning to be a genetic scientist.

I remember one of Martin's IEP targets was "To stop thinking about Lord of the Rings so much."

Which was quite amusing :rolleyes:

if i'm honest this has upset me so much after a build up over the last 7yrs of having no help from the school.

this is such a minor issue in comparrison to other issues we have had. .

i'm so sick and tired that everything has to be a battle. something so simple as setting specific, measurable targets has become a huge issue!

hubbie has made an official complaint today about the senco and the way she spoke to him

not sure if i should laugh or cry.....lol

his new target is ..........

When in class and Miss X is talking, I am going to show I am listening by looking at her.

ok......so a child who's eye contact isn't a strong point is going to look at her.....i don't think so! he would concentrate that much on looking at her that he wouldn't be able to listen.

have the school done any research on ASD or listened to a word i've said? ( i think i know the answer!)