baddad

karl pilkington meets will self...

Hi all :)

Have just been watching Karl Pilkington (he of the Ricky Gervais podcasts) talking to Will Self, Germaine Greer and David Icke...

Now scarily (especially considering I have quoted Mr Self in the past!) I found myself getting really annoyed at some bits, and wondered if others who watched felt the same way(?)

So.......... If I was giving a dinner party I would list them thus:

1 - Karl

2 - David Icke

3 - Germaine Greer

4 - Will Self

Should I be worried?? :lol::lol::lol:

Perfect dinner guest, of course, would be Stephen Fry - In which case I probably would invite Will Self, 'cos I think Mr Fry would be able to teach him the difference between 'intelligence' and 'knowledge'...

Right - time for bed (said Zebedee), and apologies to anyone who wasn't watching. :wacko:

L&P

BD :D

Who would I invite to dinner - in no particular order and not all at once.

It would be indulgent to say George Clooney would definitely be on my list and only George :lol::wub::dance:

But one person I would really like to invite to dinner is the our 'JC' freedom of speech - not meant to offend anyone :) and Mother Teresa :) why??? she was a truly unique woman oh and Oprah Winfrey I love Oprah! Plus many of my mentors - names withheld if I tell you I will have to kill you -okay just two Warren Buffet stock market genius and Benny Hinn :thumbs::notworthy: . I have a hugelist come to think of it :wub: not to forget people on this forum :):thumbs:>:D<<'>

Fxx :)

Edited by Frangipani

Stephen Fry? Ugh, far too pompous and pleased with his own 'cleverness'...(sorry, BD :unsure: )

Now then...

Jenny Eclair definitely.

Paul Merton and Ian Hislop...

Boris Johnson (but only to laugh at :shame: )

Sean Bean (eye candy :devil: )

Arabella Weir.

Bez from the Happy Mondays (care in the community :devil: )

Phoebe out of Friends

Bill Bailey

Poo...I've got too many men, so we can't sit boy-girl boy-girl :(

Boho :dance: (who gets to sit next to Sean :clap: )

Edited by bid

Well, I think everyone knows JD would be top of my list...along with Lee & Parky.....oh and Len the judge of course :lol:

Peter Kay, Janet Street Porter, Barry Norman, Bob Geldof, Marian Keyes, Nigella Lawson (to do catering), Rowan Atkinson, Jude Law (just to stare at), Henry VIII and all his wives and their heads, Will Young (to provide entertainment), Mr Hyde...oooh, Mr Nesbit, John Thaw, Jack the Ripper (coz I'm nosy, and want to know who it was), Marie Antoinette (with her head too), Julian Clary, Victoria Wood,..........think I'm running out of seats, and I'm only quarter of the way through :unsure:

Perfect dinner guest, of course, would be Stephen Fry

For once we appear to be in agreement . . . ;)

Mr Fry would be able to teach him the difference between 'intelligence' and 'knowledge'...

Which is . . .? :unsure:

I would also have Lee :wub:, Alan Davies, That little guy from Glasgow (no - not Billy C...), That strange guy whose name I don't know, Jeremy Paxman (just to liven things up a little), Colin Firth (+ wet shirt :wub::lol:) and Josh (for after dinner musical entertainment and a little :wub:).

That little guy from Glasgow (no - not Billy C...), That strange guy whose name I don't know.

Gonna need a big place setting for that name tag!

Hamish McBeth?

Andy Stewert?

Rob Roy?

Michael Fitzpatrick?

Patrick Fitzmichael?

Wee Sandy McMcMcMcTavish, the knock-kneed Glaswegian sword swallower

Is anything worn under the kilt?.........................

The difference between intelligence and knowledge... I think Stephen Fry uses his intelligence to entertain, amuse and enlighten. Will Self uses his knowledge to intimidate, gainsay and bully... poor thing's probably just insecure, but then so is dear old Stephen, so I dunt reely no! :wacko:

Bid - Jenny Eclair/Paul Merton - every time :)

Bill Bailey - failed the audition

Arabella Weir - pass (but only to do the cooking, eh, 'Minty'?)

and

Paul Whitehouse

Victoria Wood AND Julie Walters

Dawn French AND Jennifer Saunders...

Frangi - take your point about JC but on the downside he takes up three places and you never get past the fish course and bread rolls... Mind you, the water to wine trick's a good un...

People on the banned list:

Dara O' Breeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

That drunk guy who's also irish and did black books

and just to prove that I'm not against the Irish per se I would have...

Ted & Dougal (and their writers)

Spike Milligan

Roddy Doyle

and Paddy McGinty's goat (curried, with rice and peas and cassava bread!)

L&P

BD :D

Edited by baddad

oh this is a fun one.

i would invite:

Victoria Wood

The late and great Ronnie Barker

Dawn French and Lenny Henry

Ben Elton

Rik Mayall

Clive James

Craig Charles (for some obscure reason i find him cute...must get these glasses looked at)

Why are they mostly comedians? i must need a good chuckle at the moment...tomorrow i would probably invite somebody quite different...well victoria wood and dawn french would still be on my list.

Arabella Weir - pass (but only to do the cooking, eh, 'Minty'?)

Well, I think I mean her, but I may have got the wrong name... :wacko:

Boho :dance:

Edited by bid

Gonna need a big place setting for that name tag!

Just to confuse, it was actually two people:

1. The little guy from Glasgow - you know, short funny guy, lightish I think coloured hair, might wear glasses, not sure . . .

2. The guy whose name I don't know - dark hair, can be very very funny, but it's difficult to work out when he's being serious or not, can seem to be really scathing, he's often on panel shows - HIGNFY, QI (my favourite!!), 8 out of 10 cats etc - other panellists always treat him as a bit strange.

The difference between intelligence and knowledge... I think Stephen Fry uses his intelligence to entertain, amuse and enlighten. Will Self uses his knowledge to intimidate, gainsay and bully... poor thing's probably just insecure, but then so is dear old Stephen, so I dunt reely no! :wacko:

I haven't a clue either and I'm writing a thesis on it . . . :wacko: SF needs knowledge to underlie what he does . . . (hence I'm totally confused :rolleyes:)

Spike Milligan is a good choice. Also I'd have Charles Dodgson (alive of course) because he's absolutely fascinating . . . (how far back into 'dead' people are we allowed to go :unsure: - I'd like to have Leonardo of Pisa (Leonardo Fibonacci))

Tony Robinson (of course)

JD

George Clooney.

Right, thats the eye candy sorted.

Then:

Elizabeth 1

M Q of S (so they could meet at last)

Hans Asperger (the original OGB)

David Attenborough

Billy Connolly.

I hope they all like hotpot.

Wow, fabbie idea gotta join in

right.....

1, pavarotti -so i can get him to sing figaro (the only piece of opera i like, cos of that cartoon with the singing bulldog and the magician conductor)

2, queen elisibeth 1st

3, the guys from prison break- yum

4, marylin monroe

5, tommy cooper- jus like that lol

6, the goons (i blame my dad)

i think i need a bigger table :( (and dining room, and house)

:lol:

I have a friend who is Wentworth Miller mad :wub:

I'd have -

George Clooney and Jose Mourinho (seated either side of me) :wub:

Father Ted, Dougal and Mrs Doyle (the boys for entertainment, Mrs Doyle for entertainment and endless cups of tea) :thumbs:

Al Pacino & Robert de Niro

and my friend Alison 'cos if I didn't invite her she'd kill me! :lol::lol:

Mumble, are you thinking of Rich Hall as the dark haired guy? He's American and his humour is really, really dry to the point where it's hard to know whether he's being serious or not. He never laughs at his own jokes and rarely cracks a smile at others. He seems miserable and really sarcastic to begin with but sometimes he is really, really funny. He's been on QI, HIGNFY and 8 out of 10 Cats :)

My dinner guests......yeah right! An Aspie at a dinner party! You're having a f***** laugh!! :lol:

If the thought of a dinner party didn't make me want to lever my eyes out with a fork, I would probably invite the following people.....

1. Neil. Because he's great.

2. Charlie Brooker. (Just because he reassures me that someone else in the world sees things like I do)

3. Spongebob Squarepants (with Gary, of course) (plus he makes a mean Krabby Patty)

4. Philip Larkin (To b*tch about the world with)

5. Jackie Chan (Though I would refuse to play him at Twister)

6. Fred Astaire (My ideal Grandad)

7. Jack Black (My ideal older brother)

8. Ross Noble (to provide a bizarre but hysterical commentary on the evening)

9. Hiro Nakimura (to stop time if I spill my drink/drop my food down my posh frock like I always do)

10. My mum's mum (she died before I was born)

Oh and Wills and Shuff (with their own mini guinea-friendly dining table of course, with green beans for each course)

Actually if I had my mum's mum I would have to have my mum's dad as well because he died when I was little and then of course my whole family would have to come because I wouldn't want them to miss out......me thinks I need a bigger imaginary table :)

Emily

xxx

Oh and the bouncers will have strict instructions not to let in any of the following people: Anthony Worrall Thompson, Andrew Lincoln (brilliant in Teachers, but if I hear him doing the voice over for one more flippin advert!!!), Kate Thornton (and/or Tess Daly), any of the BBC breakfast news team, Max Clifford, Louis Walsh, Denise Van Outen, Jim Davidson, Chrissy Hynde, Gervais, Lawrence Dallagio, the ITV football/Rugby commentary team, Kate Moss and Avril Lavigne to name a few!!

Edited by badonkadonk

Dinner party?!?!? We're having a dinner party?!?!?!?! Hmmm, who to invite...

1. Emily (and she gets to sit in the throne next to mine)

2. Bruce Lee (just in case any gatecrashers turn up or we need anything cutting and we've run out of knives)

3. Telly Savalas (to recant us with tales of Birmingham, Aberdeen and Portsmouth)(trust me, it makes sense)

4. Mr Kipling (as I want my guests to have more than a yoghurt for desert)

5. David Vine (the snooker funk-master himself)(none of that Dougie Donnely or Hazel Irvine <insert rude word here>)

6. Sir Sidney James (No explanation needed)

7. Sir Stanley Baker (see above)

8. Archbishop Desmond Tutu (for laughs on roller skates)

9. R2-D2 (for serving drinks a la Return of The Jedi)

10. Bod (for musical interludes)

The Wills and the Shuff will be reserve/backups just in case anyone can't make it. Those definitely NOT invited: Gervais, Ross Kemp, Chris <insert VERY rude word here> Hollins (off of Breakfast News' sports bit), Natasha Kaplinsky, Jimmy Carr, the woman who does the 'seductive' voice-overs for a certain supermarket chain's TV adverts, the Pussy-cat Dolls, Beyonce and/or Shane Warde

RSVP etc. etc. etc. :wacko:

Some of the dinner parties we had in Oxford ended up with the same sorts of weird combinations, and every one was fab. We had 6 of us living in the house, and we could invite a guest each.

Once had 3 Astrophysicists, an archaeologist, a Dominican whose field was Buddhist manuscripts, a harpsichord player, a chemist, an ANC representative and 2 philosophers all at the same table with a linguist and a teacher. The other rule we had was that the main dish had to be something you'd never cooked before.

So, my list...

JC, Rodrigo Borgia, Saladin and Thomas Moore so they can discuss whether Crusades and the Inquisition, along with witch burning was part of the original plan.

Leonardo Da Vinci, Chaucer, Shakespeare and John Donne storytelling, ideas and sheer genius.

Walter Raleigh, Samuel Pepys for the diversity and the gossip.

Elizabeth 1 and Eleanor of Aquitaine

And from today? Fry, Hislop and David Attenborough.

Although I'd want it to be a monthly event, with different people each time. And I'd have it catered!

Edited by Bard

Oh, i love this thread, i would have a lot of the same people as others Stephen Fry, Billy Connelly, Nigella for the cooking and the glamour, Rod Stewart for the sing-song Wentwoth millar for sheer beauty.Allan Davis (the curly haired guy on QI to watch him and Stephen in action).Kirsty and Phil from location location location.Bill Oddie and Spike Milligan.My final guest would be my friend to enjoy all of these people at their best.

Nic

Mumble, are you thinking of Rich Hall as the dark haired guy? He's American and his humour is really, really dry to the point where it's hard to know whether he's being serious or not. He never laughs at his own jokes and rarely cracks a smile at others. He seems miserable and really sarcastic to begin with but sometimes he is really, really funny. He's been on QI, HIGNFY and 8 out of 10 Cats :)

:clap: :clap: - thanks! :)

Allan Davis

:wub: I hope I'm not going to have to fight you off him :fight: - I've already lost Lee to Baggy today.

to watch him and Stephen in action

:o

the woman who does the 'seductive' voice-overs for a certain supermarket chain's TV adverts

If you mean the seductive food adverts then i think its Victoria Coren... daughter of Alan Corin, the bloke who used to be on 'call my bluff'.

And I am thrilled that i have actually found someone who remembers Bod! (though im hoping you mean the silly kids program, i wouldnt like to upset anyone actually called Bod by implying that he/she isnt remembered in any way)

And I am thrilled that i have actually found someone who remembers Bod! (though im hoping you mean the silly kids program, i wouldnt like to upset anyone actually called Bod by implying that he/she isnt remembered in any way)

I'm referring to the seminal TV event that was 'Bod' (complete with John Le Mesurier's voice and far too many milkshakes) :thumbs:

yep, thats the one...there is even a bod website ya know!! I got really upset when i was little cos they took it off the telly and put rainbow on instead. Even at the young age i was, i couldnt take a man in a teddy bear suit seriously.

I'm referring to the seminal TV event that was 'Bod' (complete with John Le Mesurier's voice and far too many milkshakes) :thumbs:

I am clearly, yet again, too young. :whistle:

Mumble, its ok you can have him i have my very own Alan Davis/Stephen Fry clone.

My very lovely Mr B, he looks like Alan but has Stephen's brain power! quite a combination

QI is our fave prog, although it does make Mr B squirm when i mention the likeness.

Now wentworth or Gorgeous George and it may be i would have to stand my ground!!!!!!!

Nic

Mumble, its ok you can have him i have my very own Alan Davis/Stephen Fry clone.

My very lovely Mr B, he looks like Alan but has Stephen's brain power! quite a combination

Oh my :o You do realise you are the lukiest woman alive and I am now the most jealous person on the planet? (ah ha - so that's what jealously 'feels' like :lol:). QI is definatly my favourite programme too - at last a use for some of the rediculous stuff that I seem to know with no understanding of where I know it from!! :rolleyes::lol:

Mumble, i am now going to make you really jealous, he is a fantastic cook, will do diy, go to the cinema to slushy movies!!!!!!!!!|(i have to reward this one) and generally be a very nice man.

If i could wish one thing it would be that everyone has someone like him in their lives and he would be a fabulous dinner guest but only if he did the cooking.

Nic