smiley

What's your favourite book?

blimey, how do you choose :unsure:

I'm sure I will change my mind tomorrow and choose something by Bill Bryson or eion Colfer but for now I'll go for 'The eight' by Katherine Neville. its a suspense novel that flits between present day New York and 1790's France, its about a game of chess but there is so much more to it. Its a bit like the da vinci code, I couldn't put it down.

Are you completely insane woman? :partytime:

What sort of a question is that to ask a friend? :hypno:

I'm sitting in a house, surrounded by thousands of books precisely BECAUSE I don't have favourites, can't choose...and I'd find it hard to select even if you asked me for my top dozen Authors or best 100 books.

That's before we even consider non-fiction.

I'm going to lie down now in a dark little room. It used to be 15' square until we built in all the bookcases.

And you're no help either summertime. The eight, by Katherine Neville sounds like my sort of thing...and so the collection grows.

Edited by Bard

I'm with Bard - impossible question - books are definately one of my 'things' - when my student room becomes full I take a trip to my Mum's house with another load :whistle: I don't think she's found all the places I've hidden them yet (though she did comment that the bed was rather 'bumpy' :devil:

I do however have one way of answering this - I've often thought about which book I would take to a desert island as they do on Desert Island Disks. I would take the complete Oxford English Dictionary. :wacko:

Well I,ve got a favourite and its Jane Austens Pride and Prejudice..........love the language, sentiment , and time in history it was written in, love classic literature , Thomas Hardy is pretty good too.I,m also the biggest romantic that ever walked the earth :thumbs: .

We have bookcases full of books and I have lots of favourites. If it's kids books then I'd say my list includes:

Five Minutes Peace

The Witness - a Christmas story about a cat at the birth of Jesus

Little Baa

Peace at Last

Grown-up books:

My favourite authors are Sherri S Tepper and Robin Hobb

From Sherri I love her Raising the Stones series (fantasy/Sci-Fi) and from Robin just about everything she's ever written including those written under her other name Megan Lindholm.

It takes me months to read a book as I never get the opportunity these days.

OK if I have to pick one:

The Rainbow by D H Lawrence.

Have to read it every couple of years. And I first read it when I was 15. My opinion of the characters changes as I get older. And for a childless man, he is one of the best around when it comes to getting inside the head of a child. Theres a bit where a little girl goes running down the hill to greet her daddy - and he knows she's going too fast & is going to fall before he can reach her... it gets me every time.

i love all crime fiction. At the mo ive just finished JD Robb, Creation in Death although its best to start at the beginning as she has the same characters. Im now reading Martina Coles new one. Plus i like Karin Slaughter too. I love reading!!

I seem to go through different stages of what I like......first there was the Danielle Steele stage, then Dean Koontz, Jackie Collins, Jilly Cooper..........I much prefer non fiction though, especially biographies.

Really enjoyed Just The Two Of Us, written by Sheila Hancock after her hubby John Thaw died :tearful: My DH doesn't understand why I keep books....they seem to be taking over abit, and there is nothing better than an early night with a good book :D

Favourite kids book Guess how much i love you or This is the Bear

Favourite books that i can read again are The Rhanna series by Christine Marion Fraser.

I dont keep books i give them away after reading them, i have kept one book from my childhood (bunnikins birthday party-a ladybird book)

I have kept all of my daughters books though as she loves going back to all of them at some point.

Nicola

I don't really have a favourite book that I would read over and over again.

I love reading and always have something on the go.

I last read Born on a Blue Day by Daniel Tammet, which was quite enjoyable. Now I am reading A Friend Like Henry by Nuala Gardner, which I am enjoying even more. Not all the books I read are autism-related though! I normally read novels, even though I think I miss a lot of 'between the lines' stuff. I also read factual books about things I am interested in, and not necessarily just my obsessions.

A book I recently enjoyed a lot was Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. I liked it better than The Da Vinci Code, although I liked that a lot. I like all of his books actually. I also really liked Jostein Gaardner's books, and the Harry Potter series. I like some Jodi Picoult books, but I think she's been so successful she could publish a fart and it would go to #1 now.

I rarely keep hold of books once I have read them. I am a member of a book-swapping website, so I tend to swap them. Sometimes I end up with books I would never normally have chosen through swapping, which is nice. I'm not initiating any swaps for the moment, since my To Be Read pile is getting a bit out of control.

?????????? IMPOSSIBLE QUESTION!!!???????????????????

At 15 it was 'The Catcher In The Rye'... i must have read it at least 200 times before i left it in a cafe when I went to collect my first passport at the age of 19... I was niaive enough for many years to not buy another copy, as i believed mine would one day 'find it's way back to me' and i would know it by the sellotape on the cover :rolleyes::sick:

Now, I'm just not that interested, although I still enjoy occassional revisits with the Glass family from Sallinger's other books...

Still very fond of Capotes 'The Grass Harp' and Harper Lee's a-level classic, and O'Henry etc (and it must be something about the south 'cso i like the Dave Robicheaux novels too!)

Currently reading Alexei Sayle's 'The weeping women's cafe' which is quite good, between dips in mr fry's 'Paperweight' (again) and a couple of Lee Child's (love LC's style, but I ALWAYS know who did it :shame: )

Tally - I've never read any Jodi Picoult, but I got an F in Art too! :lol:

L&P

BD :D

Are you completely insane woman? :partytime:

Weeeeelllllllllllll - hello Mrs Pot, i be Mrs Kettle.. ;):lol:

Tally - i've read all of Jodi Whotsits books. The oldies are the best, pre-fart era.. :lol:

I'm a total bookworm so i'm with Bard - i can easily read two books a week. :o

Favourite....erm.....argh! Too many to choose from! :rolleyes::hypno:

Hmmmmm!!!!

I love books and there have been too many over the last few decades!!!

I would say the book that I loved at school was Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy.

Recent books would have to be The Reader by Bernard Schlink - hugely thought provoking about second generation Germans after 2nd World War,

We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Schriver which I found really scary because I thought I may have a Kevin!!!

The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks - really weird but an amazing insight into a teenagers mind.

I also love all the Karin Slaughter and Martina Cole books - totally blood thirsty me!!!

I just love reading - currently reading Atonement - want to read it before it before I see the film.

Stella xx

Cant pick a book so a list will have to do: -

Fave children's books....Giraffes Cant Dance, Can't you Sleep Little Bear, The Gruffallo PLUS Dr Suess books...especiallylike the poem Too Many Daves...MAGIC :clap:

Fave adult authors: -

Ian McKewan....especially Enduring Love :wub:

John Irving.....The World According to Garp and A Prayer for OWEN MEANEY :wub:

Daphne Du Mauriere.... My Cousin Rachel :notworthy:

I've just finished Fannie Flagg's Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe :thumbs:

BD...I cant read Mr Fry's books, he's way too clever for me!

SV :D

BD...I cant read Mr Fry's books, he's way too clever for me!

SV :D

Pah! If you can handle Owen Meanie and Garp you're up for a little bit of Fry (minus laurie!)

Try the newer stuff first, though, and work backwards...he was a bit of a pedant in the early days so maybe that's what put you off...

FGT's - love the fillum so should give the book a try! And it has got that authentic Southern Fried Flavour!

L&P

BD :D

Hiya

It's a tiny little book called ''when I learned to love myself''!!

In a more childish mode, I love The Magic Faraway Tree or Book of Brownies - they travel away to magical lands and even in my adulthood, I can get a grip of that dream!!!!

gail

How do you choose?????? So many I love

Put it this way - my kids want to sell them along with me ....

I love so many but romance are my favourites

I have many personal interests from cooking, gardening, diy, art & crafts, , money too :rolleyes:

For a good read :unsure: I love so many writing styles.

Some of my favourites are

All Nora Roberts including Seaswept Chesapeake Blue & Three Fates -

Maeve Binchy - Tara Road and Evening Class

Colleen McCollough The Thorn Birds & Tim

Shakespeare The Complete works / Midnight Summers Dream / 10 Things I hate about you -sucker for theatre

Australian Poets

Bryce Courtenay / John Grisham / Robert Ludlum/ James Patterson read many of each

Biographies of people of interest

The Bible - Have endured a lot lately - so its my rock :pray:

I love -Book of Romans, Proverbs, Songs of Solomon, Ecclesiates, Acts, Mark my role model 'The Proverbs 31 woman' tells me to get up and fight and stop whinging :lol:and all the little ones in NT after Gospel of John as you can see this is my favourite book - if I was stuck on an island or in a rut this is my pick.

:)

Edited by Frangipani

i love all crime fiction. At the mo ive just finished JD Robb, Creation in Death although its best to start at the beginning as she has the same characters. Im now reading Martina Coles new one. Plus i like Karin Slaughter too. I love reading!!

I love crime fiction too :thumbs: . Anything by Kathy Reichs, Tess Gerritson and my favourite for crime/girly/humour, Janet Evanovich's books, especially the Stephanie Plum series.

The Magic Faraway Tree or Book of Brownies

I love those books :clap: :clap: They're in the collection holding up the bumpy bed :whistle: I'll have to resurrect them when I brave 'home'. Also, do you remember The Wishing Chair and there was a small book about a naughty elf - "Tippy Plays a Trick" - I loved that one so much I worked my way through the spines of two copies and I only have the loose pages now. Also Ant and Bee books when I was really little . . .

What about Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys!

I am taking my dd to the Nancy Drew film on Saturday.

Also loved the magic faraway tree and the chronicles of narnia

loved all of enid blyton

When i was a wee girl my mums friend worked at collins book factory and i got lots of books and boxed sets because they had great discounts for staff.

Nic

Thats almost impossible to answer, I read anything and everthing...love books. though when i was a kid if i had nothing else to read i would read the back of the cereal box when eating my breakfast.

if i could only keep one of my books it would be The complete nonsense of Edward Lear. i first read it when i was 5 and still dip in now for a read lol...il grow up one day.

The Bible - if I was stuck on an island or in a rut this is my pick.

Ditto :D

Loads of books read by yours truly - must be where J gets his prolific reading habits from ... :whistle::lol:

Teenage years ... anything by ...

Gerald Durrell

Agatha Christie

Jean Plaidy - learned a lot of history from her!

Victoria Holt

Catherine Cookson

Daphne du Maurier

Ngaio Marsh

Dorothy L Sayers

Ruth Rendell

Neville Shute

Moved on to ...

Alastair MacLean

Dean Kootz

Robert Ludlum

PD James

Dick Francis

James Patterson

John Grisham

Now reading anything by ...

Patricia Cornwell - Kay Scarpetta series

Minette Walters

Lee Child

Tess Gerritsen

Kathy Reichs

and just discovered PJ Tracy

If I could pick three ...

On the Beach by Neville Shute

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

and

Lord of the Rings by Tolkein

Put it this way - my kids want to sell them along with me ....

I love so many but romance are my favourites

I have many personal interests from cooking, gardening, diy, art & crafts, , money too :rolleyes:

For a good read :unsure: I love so many writing styles.

Some of my favourites are

All Nora Roberts including Seaswept Chesapeake Blue & Three Fates -

Maeve Binchy - Tara Road and Evening Class

Colleen McCollough The Thorn Birds & Tim

Shakespeare The Complete works /A Midsummer Night's Dream / 10 Things I hate about you -sucker for theatre

Australian Poets

Bryce Courtenay / John Grisham / Robert Ludlum/ James Patterson read many of each

Biographies of people of interest

The Bible - Have endured a lot lately - so its my rock :pray:

I love -Psalms 23 139 Book of Romans, Proverbs, Songs of Solomon, Ecclesiates, Acts, Mark my role model 'The Proverbs 31 woman' tells me to get up and fight and stop whinging :lol:and all the little ones in NT after Gospel of John as you can see this is my favourite book - if I was stuck on an island or in a rut this is my pick.

a few typo errors :whistle: just fixed 'Shakespeare' :lol: had midnight instead of Midsummer :)

Well I'm just about to dip into Bullies, Bigmouths and So-called Friends. Hardly ever get time for proper reading these days, but Bill Bryson's always a favourite if I get the chance.

Also loved Life of Pi.

Karen

x

Lord of the Rings by Tolkein

:thumbs: I have sooo many photo's where this was filmed in the South Island of New Zealand. Much much better in real life.

Breath taking - just doesn't come near to describing it. :wub: I could see myself living there and having an art studio :wub:

We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Schriver which I found really scary because I thought I may have a Kevin!!!

I just love reading - currently reading Atonement - want to read it before it before I see the film.

Stella xx

I was a wee bit scared reading We Need To Talk about Kevin for the same reasons!

Who wrote Atonement as I thought I might like that?

I loved The Time Travellers Wife but haven't read it since (I usually read my books over and over) as the sad end made me really sob!

Well I'm just about to dip into Bullies, Bigmouths and So-called Friends. Hardly Karen

x

Strange you should mention that, it's something I was planning on getting for G. Does it look good?

Strange you should mention that, it's something I was planning on getting for G. Does it look good?

It does. Shall I bring it along to the support group next time so you can have a peep?

K

x

I've just been looking on the Book Depository at it - at �3 odd I think we'll give it a go anyway!

One of the reviews says it's for 10+, do you think it's suitable for younger children?

I was a wee bit scared reading We Need To Talk about Kevin for the same reasons!

Who wrote Atonement as I thought I might like that?

I loved The Time Travellers Wife but haven't read it since (I usually read my books over and over) as the sad end made me really sob!

Think it was Ian McEwan (sp?) I enjoyed the film as well even though I can't be doing with Keira Knightley.

I adored the Time Traveller's wife.

When they film it, the part HAS to go to Jonny Depp :wub: Though I heard Christian Bale had got it.

Top of my list always

Middlemarch - George Eliot. I get more out of it every time I read it.

Regeneration - Pat Barker (the film was good but didn't really do justice to it)

followed closely by:

The Go Between - LP Hartley

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

An Instant in the Wind - Andre Brink

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

I like Rumer Godden's style, ever since I was forced to read Black Narcissus at school. Even the very dull English teacher didn't manage to kill it for me and I went on to enjoy all her books.

And for light relief and sheer ingenuity, Up the Down Staircase by Bel Kaufman, sadly out of print now but well worth tracking down. Hilarious and very very clever - every teacher should read it.

Books I really ought to read but never seem to get past the first few pages:

Captain Correlli's Moandolin

Birdsong

I love books...could go on... but I'll stop there!

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Ooh yes, I love the Go Between & Regeneration. I also liked Birdsong, & Captain Corelli is worth perservering with - just skip all the stuff about Mussolini at the beginning & it livens up.

I'm reading Pat Barker's latest at the mo, Life Class.

OK pearl, I'll try again with those two books. I think I never get far because I take them on holiday with me and they're maybe a bit heavy for a holiday read. Last week when we were away, I took something much lighter with me - Adrian Mole and he Weapons of Mass Destruction - brilliant! :D

K x

To Kill a Mockingbird