smiley

What's your favourite book?

I have to read gentle, cosy stuff just before I go to sleep or I get nightmares. :unsure:

Stuff like Gervaise Phinn, Miss Read, James Herriott etc.

One of the reviews says it's for 10+, do you think it's suitable for younger children?

Not sure, it would probably depend on the child.

I always go through new stuff like this before reading it with J, just to make sure it's suitable, but this definitely looks like something he would cope with. There are quite a few metaphors though, so some children might not manage it. J's quite comfortable now with metaphors and enjoys them, but it could put others off the book.

I like this because it's practical. There are exercises to do, very simple ones that only take a few seconds but help to illustrate a point visually (eg look around the room and see how many blue things you can find, then without looking try to remember what was green. It's to demonstrate that it's easy to focus on one thing and not notice the rest).

Also, it's not just about bullying and teasing. It's about raising the individual's own self-esteem so that the bullying and teasing don't affect them so much, rising above it.

I'd order if. Even if you don't feel G is ready for it yet, you'll be able to use it in a year or two.

Karen

x

PS: Sorry, I should have put this in resources or somewhere. Back to favourite books now...

Still can't decide on my favourite.... :rolleyes: .

(Maybe i should have gone for 'What are you reading now?' type question instead)

But, thanks for the nice long 'Books i want for crimbo' list! :thumbs::lol:

Probably my all-time fav is To Kill a Mockingbird, I've read that lots of times.

The book that's probably the most memorable for me and which really made a big impression, a strange choice maybe, is Choke by Chuck Palahniuk.

Fav children's book is The Little Prince.

~ Mel ~

Should I be egotistical and say one of my two books (yes, two books - the second will be out in a couple of weeks)? Nah

Got to be StarMan: The Truth Behind The Legend of Yuri Gagarin (by Piers Bizony and Jamie Doran). Read it about 6 times now (and usually do it in one go :shame: )

After that? Probably Fast Food Nation, Dr No (totally different to the film), and Revolution in the Valley

Should I be egotistical and say one of my two books (yes, two books - the second will be out in a couple of weeks)? Nah

What's the second book about?

What's the second book about?

A man who figures out how to rob a bank (and the moral dilemma of whether he should or not of course). It's told in diary format and covers a whole year in the life of a saddo computer programmer which life is dumping on big time, work, divorce, romantic dalliances, crime, drugs, air-headed siblings, life's foibles...as well as the usual mix of stupidity and copious violence and/or swearing. It's better than it sounds (even if I do say so myself)

Shall I put you down for 4 copies? They'd make great Christmas presents :lol:

The Lord of the Rings. Used to read it cover to cover and then start again. Have lost count of how many times I have read it. I have a feeling it is a number well over my age. Need to read it again at some point. Last time I read it was whilst voluntary teaching in Kenya. Enjoyed re-reading all the Narnia books then too. Fantasy books in general seem to be my area. Rather go through phases when I read though. Presently would rather do anything than work. Speaking of which thats what I was meant to be doing. Have got side tracked again. Opps.

I don't really have a favourite. We have far more books than we could ever actually fit in our flat. Fiction I would have to say anything by Terry Pratchett, Tom Holt or Robin Hobb. Non-fiction I tend to read books about green issues, religion, and science. Clearly there is no way I could actually pick a favourite, it breaks my brain just trying to attempt it.

im an autobiography type of gal atm its Sharon Osbourne. Ive read all of the about a boy books aswell and read them over and over

The Iliad :D

Closely followed by Ovid's Ars Amores :wub:

Boho :dance:

Two of my favourites, although neither in the original!

Along with Lord of the Rings.