Tjololo

That hoary old chestnut, respite care

I realise that securing even 2hrs a week respite care is difficult :wallbash: , but are there any families here who benefit from overnight respite care? If so, how many nights are included in the provision and how often is it available? Thanks, Tjololo.

Hi Tjololo -

Respite is really difficult to come by and very much a postcode lottery, I think...

I do get respite for my son, but there have been huge gaps in between different fosterers (all overnight respite tends to go through fostering teams now)

It took me about four REALLY BAD years to get 'in the loop', and now I get a full weekend every five weeks or so. My problems aren't anywhere near what they used to be, so now rather than being a 'lifesaver'/firefighting' thing it's genuinely beneficial for both of us...

Only way (in my area at least) to get it is through SS and you have to make sure they know just how bad things are before they'll move. That part is really scary...

sorry that's a bit brief, but it's real late and i'm on my last legs!

L&P

BD :D

we have "home from home". he gets 26 or 28 days a year. he goes to another family, well they have all grown up now, but he goes to all their family events if he is there at the same time, spends time with the grandkids etc. very dubious when i started it as i thought i was a failure, but then my daughter needed special time too, so went through with it and never looked back.

he goes for a weekend, or for a few days in the holidays. depending on what we need and commitments we have that aren't practical to do with him with us.

we were recommended by his nursery (going back years) and then the social worker had to do a report. then we had a home visit, then they saw him in school (it was a slow process so he was in school when we got on the list) then my woman gave us 3 hours a week in my home while i went out, then she asked her worker if she could have him in the home from home situation that she was doing with another child too. so we agreed and very nervous at first but now so grateful. i get 26 nights sleep a year! :D

i think i am lucky though. the hardest part was making the decision.

hope you're not all asleep now. i do tend to go on and on. :oops:

In my area the problem isn't being eligible, its actually finding carers. I babysit for a single mum who has a 7 year old ASD son with no language, she has been waiting for a foster carer now for 2 years and still no one is available. I babysit for him for around 6 hours a week just so that she can accomplish normal things like shopping.

My 5yr old ds goes to a council run respite care place one night a week (they collcet him from school on a Wednesday and then return him there on Thursday morning.)

It took me getting to breaking point, over a year ago, before they offered us anything.

I am so grateful to them for the break and their helpfulness (they continue during school holidays and if I need to change the day or I have an overnight hospital appt, they usually manage to take him.)

He's on the long waiting list for a Link Family, but they are short of foster carers, nevermind ones who could attempt to deal with my son!

We did also have Mencap respite of 6 hrs a week (usually a support worker taking him out after school for 3hrs twice a week) but this all got to be too much for him to deal with.

I know we are very lucky to have so much, but it didn't happen easily!

It's crazy.

in the inst. residential complex am used to live in ,the respite unit part of it had auties staying over regulary and some aspies,they're closing down the rest of it but the respite unit is still open and run privately now,if in manchester,might be worth finding out about getting a place there,although they are knocking the unit down to,and moving the respite somewhere else.

Edited by Summertime to remove the name of the unit but anyone in the Manchester area could Pm TuX for more details.

thanks

Summer

Edited by summertime