Sign in to follow this  
allie

Claiming benifits

Please can I get some advice. We have just been awarded DLA, lower mobility and middle care. We are so pleased that this has finally come through. But I'm really confussed about all the benifits. It says to look into council tax, child tax etc as these can be reduced/increased with the DLA award.

What other benifits should we be looking at claiming? Way to confusing :wacko:

Thanks for your help

Allie

i think you qualify for carers allowance as your child gets middle rate care...but you must be earning less than �95 per week.

child tax credit should give you an increase although i dont know how much.

check out the direct gov website for all the other benefits...

Child tax credits should increase by about �2500 a year. Quite a lot - about the equivalent of the actual DLA itself!

Edited by MichelleW

Just ring up the tax credit folks and say you get dla thats all you do then the child tax credits increases.

I get carers allowance when someone says you need to be earning less than 95 quid a week that doesnt mean the whole household just the person whoes claimeing it ie in my case me..me husband is on 21000 a year but we get carers allowance coz i earn nothing............againe you just get the form and put on the claim number from youre dla book its as easy as that.

I claimed Carer's allowance last week as soon as i found out my son was awarded DLA, backdated money went straight into my account on Sunday, although i've had no letter yet confirming this :tearful:

Just ring up the tax credit folks and say you get dla thats all you do then the child tax credits increases.

They told us that it needed to be higher rate for the child tax credits to increase :o

Thanks everyone, of course sods law I started working this month for the first time since C was born and I think I am a couple of pounds over the 95!!!!! Oh well, I definitly think work is helping me with my sanity so I suppose I can't have it all :) just glad that the DLA finally came through.

Thanks everyone, of course sods law I started working this month for the first time since C was born and I think I am a couple of pounds over the 95!!!!! Oh well, I definitly think work is helping me with my sanity so I suppose I can't have it all :) just glad that the DLA finally came through.

Hi Allie, this is exactly why i want to start back at work again - for my own sanity too!! :lol:

Hi Allie, this is exactly why i want to start back at work again - for my own sanity too!! :lol:

I tell you Caroline for the first time in 6 and a half years I feel like a little bit of 'Alison' is back, its just wonderful. And I find that I'm calmer with C and enjoy myself with both boys so much more now :dance:

I tell you Caroline for the first time in 6 and a half years I feel like a little bit of 'Alison' is back, its just wonderful. And I find that I'm calmer with C and enjoy myself with both boys so much more now :dance:

This exactly how i want to feel Allie, the last time i worked was 2001 :hypno: then i gave up because Hayden needed me more at home, now i want to get back into the swing of things & concentrate on my Nursing Training, i applied to a home offering respite for children with learning difficulties but they aren't taking interviews until 20th November. Have also applied at my local hospital :pray:

This exactly how i want to feel Allie, the last time i worked was 2001 :hypno: then i gave up because Hayden needed me more at home, now i want to get back into the swing of things & concentrate on my Nursing Training, i applied to a home offering respite for children with learning difficulties but they aren't taking interviews until 20th November. Have also applied at my local hospital :pray:

That sounds brilliant, hope it all works out for you. I eventually would like to get into teaching, and specilize in special needs. But so many people have told me to wait until C is older because it wouldn't be much of a break dealing with special needs kids at work and then coming home to C after. Now that I'm in work I can see what they are saying because it is a complete break away from it all!!!!

Good luck and keep me posted >:D<<'>

That sounds brilliant, hope it all works out for you. I eventually would like to get into teaching, and specilize in special needs. But so many people have told me to wait until C is older because it wouldn't be much of a break dealing with special needs kids at work and then coming home to C after. Now that I'm in work I can see what they are saying because it is a complete break away from it all!!!!

Good luck and keep me posted >:D<<'>

Yes, i see your point. My husband said to me earlier 'as long as you'd be ok looking after 30 Hayden's' :lol: (that's my sons name btw) in fact the very place that i've applied for work is the place where Hayden's paed said Hayden could go for respite, obviously not on the days that i'd be working though!

I'll let you know if i have any luck :)

They told us that it needed to be higher rate for the child tax credits to increase :o

I don't believe this is true - maybe you just was unlucky to get a mis informed person on the phone.

I only get Low mobility and medium care rate for DS1 and I definitely get an extra �2450 in working families tax credits. I was told that if he was the highest care rate then I would get even more.

I would suggest phoning again, and hope you get a better person. Unless they have changed the rules- but I would have thought that they would have stopped my money if they had changed the rules.