Tally

"Please Pay "788.24"

The gas man has misread my meter by 1000 units and my bill is nearly �800 :crying:

It's all been wrong ever since I moved into this house. They kept trying to put up the monthly payments and I was getting more and more ahead and in the end I asked for quaterly bills, but they can't get that right either. Their estimates were always way out so I sent readings every time I got a bill but one time they said my reading couldn't possibly be right and insisted I pay �200 all in one go, just after the ex stopped giving me any money too. Eventually they sent out a man to read the meter and he confirmed I was right all along, by which time I wanted to change supplier but I was so far in credit with them I haven't had to pay any bills since February.

I sent them �20 for the electricity and a gas meter reading and asked for a revised bill, because they have normally seemed willing to look into it if you send money, and I do actually owe that anyway. They have credited the �20 but sent a big red reminder for the rest :tearful::wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

>:D<<'> Tally >:D<<'>

I dont fully understand what has happened, if you were way in credit & now owe �800 - but if you really do owe that they should be able to work out a part payment scheme with you.

The gas man has misread my meter by 1000 units and my bill is nearly �800 :crying:

Don't cry, it's not your bill.

You sent them a correct reading. Double check just to make sure, and then change your payment to a Standing Order.

That means they can't put up payments as they can with a DD.

Invite them to verify the reading if they want, send another reader round, but check his reading before he leaves your house.

Tell them that you intend to demand a rebate and find another supplier ASAP after this error of theirs is cleared up.

I've had thousands of red reminders, they're only the second step in a lengthy process. The red colour is meant to worry and alarm you, so don't be psyched out by their foolishness.

Edited by Bard

Get them out again and stand with them while they read the meter then you take a note of the figure too. Let's face it if the figure is incorrect it's going to be lower than the one they sent you and meters don't go backwards.

Don't pay the bill if you don't agree with it either. However if the figure is correct you should do several things:

1. Arrange a system to pay it off - standing order perhaps

2. Get a company in to look at your home to see where savings could be made. We have Keep Newcastle Warm up here you may have something similar and if you are on benefits or low income you can get draught proofing, cavity wall insulation, loft insulation etc done for nothing or next to nothing. This will make massive savings on your bill.

I rung them and they are sending another meter reader next week to check it because I am clearly too stupid to read it myself :wallbash:

It did solve the problem last time though.

They still want me to pay the bill even though I would have had to be heating the whole town to use that much gas.

As soon as my credit runs out I am changing supplier :angry:

I dont understand, Tally - if you are in credit, how can you owe them money? They should take what you owe from the credit, then you would be a free woman & could switch suppliers.

Sorry if I've missed something, I can be very dense sometimes.

They think I owe them �800 because the meter reader misread my meter by 1000 units too high. I was slightly in credit before this bill, so I probably need to pay something this time. I sent them the money for the electricity and queried the gas, but they don't seem to believe the reading I am giving, even though the meter reader's reading is completely ridiculous and not in line with my previous readings at all, and mine makes more sense. If I don't get it sorted now, they will never believe any of my readings for the next few years, because they will all be lower than the one the meter reader recorded a few weeks ago.

I rung them and they are sending another meter reader next week to check it because I am clearly too stupid to read it myself :wallbash:

It did solve the problem last time though.

They still want me to pay the bill even though I would have had to be heating the whole town to use that much gas.

As soon as my credit runs out I am changing supplier :angry:

Don't pay that bill until the new reading comes through.

If you do owe that much then all I can say is they obviously haven't been calculating your payments very well.

Hi Tally,

You could ring the Ombudsman and show them all the dodgy accounts and send a follow up email. They have the power to put all payments on hold until it is investigated.

Sounds like they deserve a swift kick - but leave all your worries with the Ombudsman. You have put up with enough stuff up's.

Just found this >:D<<'>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5133736.stm

http://www.ombudsman.org.uk/make_a_complai...we_look_at.html

F xx :)

Edited by Frangipani