Sign in to follow this  
bid

New kitten,

I know we have some real cat experts on the forum (Tally, where are you? :) ).

We are planning on getting a young kitten, and as some of you know we already have a little female rescue cat of about 10.

Now, is it best to get another female cat? I have a vague memory of hearing that two cats of the same sex get along better, but I don't know for sure. We had a male and a female cat when I was a kid, but they were mother and son, and the mother cat did actually hate the male :rolleyes:

So, advice please as I want things to go as smoothly as possible :)

Boho :dance:

Guest Lya of the Nox

we have had lots different mixes of cat sexes at any one time

at the mo we have one old girl and one youngish male and they get on fine

3 cats was hard tho

where are you planning on getting the new cat? maybe they can help u

x

If the cats are neutered (or kitten will be done when appropriate) it generally does not make a difference what sex. The character of the cats is the most important thing. A kitten with a more submissive personality is likely to allow the existing cat to feel in control of her territory and they will both be happier.

Are you committed to getting the kitten yet? It's just that introducing a new cat to a 10-y-o cat is not going to be an easy task. You will have to separate them while the kitten is small, and they may never get on. Cats are not little people in fur coats, and don't generally get lonely if left at home alone all day. (There are always exceptions though.) Most behavioural problems result in multi-cat households. An older cat can find a kitten irritating. I know that both of my cats would do better as the only cat, but it's so hard to give one up, they are both so 'special' I don't think anyone else would be prepared to take either of them on, and there is room for them to stay out of each other's way. Mr Cat made huge progress after my other cat died. Since I got the new cat, his progress has slowed again, but luckily we had got to a point where the new cat didn't cause him to regress.

If there are strong reasons for getting the kitten, like it has no other home, then you will have to introduce them gradually. They will need to be kept completely separate for the first few days. Swap their bedding, and go from stroking one straight to the other, so they get used to each other's scent. Supervise them together at first, in case they fight. Give more attention to your existing cat so she doesn't feel left out. When they meet, give her some treats or her favourite meal, and hopefully she will begin to associate the new cat with something nice.

I know kittens are lovely and sweet and fluffy, and it's easy to think your cat wants a friend, but just think very carefully first about whether a second cat is really the best decision. Bear in mind that they may well never cuddle up together like all those cute photos you see. Do you have enough room if they simply choose to avoid each other?

You have some very good advice from Tally :thumbs: I have 6 cats. 4 live together and get lots of attention, on the whole they get along. One of my cats is a rather dominant female and she detests other cats but loves people, she tends to roam further afield but stays close to home none the less. I have 2 kittens, 1 6 month old male and an 8 week old female. They are currently separate but have had supervised sniffing sessions. They also play with each other via the french doors! The male kitten was very put out when the new one arrived, but I think they will be fine with each other when they are finally introduced properly. There will probably be much hissing and growling from your existing cat initially. How is your cat with other cats generally? You will be taking a bit of a chance introducing a kitten now, but it can work. You may have to keep them separately for a while. It depends also if it will upset you to see your cat upset. I ended up with my dominant female as a result of a kitten introduction to a household where there was an established older cat, it upset the owner to see the kitten constantly chasing the older cat. Good luck with it! >:D<<'>

When I was younger we acquired two new cats and our existing one, who was a grumpy old man anyway, learned to tolerate them and mostly ignored them. The introduction was gradual as the two first belonged to the next door neighbours and had been coming into our garden all the time anyway. All three cats, (two boys, one girl, all neutered) led very separate lives and all three terrorised the puppy who was the last addition to our family!

Later on we raised two sisters and they got on really well, they were really close to each other.

Stella, who you met, was always a bit of a loner and was thrown out of her old home for fighting with the other household cats, so we thought it best not to get any more pets whilst we still had her, although we would have loved more. She was very affectionate with people and wouldn't have accepted another animal on her turf, I think.

All this proves nothing, except that as Tally says, it's the individual personality of the cats that matters most. You'd have to take advice from whoever you're getting the kitten from, to ensure you get the right cat.

We will be thinking about getting cats very soon, now that we're back from holiday. :)

K x

bid

as long as the tom cat has had his goolies removed :devil: it wouldn't matter. I have 3 toms, but would have quite happily introduced a girlie when we got the third one; it just so happens that he was a boy.

flozza xx

Well, our female cat is very reclusive anyway...she spends her days under our bed, emerges of an evening to sit on a lap for a while, and then spends the night on our bed :shame:

Our vet recommended a spray or a plug-in thingy which naturally mimics cats' facial pheromones. She said this would help our present cat when we move, and then she told me that when she introduced a new kitten to her cats she found them all lying around the plug-in, blissed-out on catty hormones! :lol:

And before anyone panics, no, we're not moving and getting the kitten at the same time :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the good tips, guys :)

Boho :dance:

Love the video :lol::lol::lol:

and now I really really want another cat - there is a feline - shaped hole in my life right now. :crying::crying:

K x

There is a feline-shaped hole in my bottom right now! Last night my monster cat (the one in my avatar) reached under the duvet and scratched me on the bum!

The pheromone diffuser plug-ins are meant to be brilliant for cats at any stressful time. I hoped it might help with my cats, but it didn't make any difference. I think their problems are more to do with a long history of abuse rather than a current stress. But I know people who say it has worked wonders with their cats! I could send you my diffusers if you want them, but you'd need to get refills. I hate seeing perfectly good things go to waste just because my cats are contrary :rolleyes:

HERE are some useful guides. The one called "Welcome Home" has some information about introducing a new cat to an established cat. There is also one about moving home.

Edited by Tally

Oh I'd never heard of those diffuser things - I might have to get one when we move again. My poor lovelies have gone through two house moves in the past six months. Thankfully they've been fairly unscathed by it but it is stressful - I think he worst bit is keeping them in for a month till they're used to the house. I had my big cat (Piper who is a blue burmese) for a year before I got Annie (a chocolate burmese) and after a nervewracking first few days they hit it off big time and adore one another. They are related though as they share the same Dad. They have the most amazing personalities though - they're fantastic!

Lynne x

Petience is another thing one needs a lot of when trying to make 2 or more cats accept each other. The last time I did that was some years ago when my 2 female cats began to share the same home with 2 other female cats who were already the owners of the house. After 2 months of hissing and ignoring one another, they suddenly shared the cat tree which was conveniently placed in a very sunny spot I guess the temptation of climbing the cat tree was stronger than than the territorial instinct. They ended sleeping on the same bed, but not together. Make sure that your older cat gets your attention everyday and doesn't feel too jealous of the kitten. Good luck!!

Curra

Bid,

am looking for a new kitten soon to [although won't have problems with having to introduce him to another cat],new residential home am moving to has allowed to get a cat,there is a breeder of Maine Coons on the next street here,and am hoping they've got plans for new litter in near future/soon.

An idea for introducing them-get a completely new cloth,and wipe it all over one of them,now let the other smell it,and do the same for the other,do this often so they get used to the scent.

this helped sisters cats be reintroduced when the mum ran off for a bit and her kitten didn't recognise her.

Edited by TuX

Guest Lya of the Nox

ooooh i like maine coons

i want one,

but NO way hubby will let me lol

good luck Tux

nice to see you around again

x

We have two cats, one that is 18 months old and the other is 3 months old. We've had the 3 month one for a few weeks and they are now settling in together. The older one looks after the little one and they normally sleep together quite happily. They are both males, can be a bit crazy sometimes. :D