Sign in to follow this  
oxgirl

Transport, grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so fed up with having to fight for everything, it's so unfair (*whine, moan*). :tearful:

There are two taxis going from our town to the either Jay's school or the school down the road. One wants to pick him up at 7.15 (he doesn't need to be there until 8.45) one doesn't leave our town until nearly half past eight and doesn't get there until 9.00. He has used this taxi a few times over the last two weeks and he keeps being late for, or missing, his mainstream lesson. Jay is still part-time and some days he goes in at 9.45 and some days he leaves at 2.00.

Now, the LEA are saying we'll have to take either of the options or lump it and also she doesn't see why he can't go full-time!! As if SHE knows anything about him! :wallbash:

They talked to the Unit and, apparently, the teacher there told her that the other week Jay had been stuck in traffic (along with everyone else in Oxfordshire) for two hours, which he had. She told the LEA woman that he had been 'absolutely fine' and so apparently there's no problem with him doing that every day!! Now, that particular day, traffic probs were horrendous, it was only the second time he'd used the taxi and I was really proud that he had coped okay and hadn't gone totally to pieces. However, he was exhausted and stressed and anxious, etc. etc. and there's no way he could do it every day!! I'm so furious with the Unit, how can they be so insensitive to his needs. I shouldn't be surprised though, they have shown time and time again just how much they care about his welfare. :crying:

Now LEA woman, on the Unit's advice, is saying he'll have to take either of the taxis available, even on the days he's not due in until 9.45. So, he'll need to leave at 7.15 when he doesn't actually start until 9.45!!?? :o

I know what's going to happen, I'll end up feeling like I can't put him through it and I'll end up carrying on doing it myself. I'm so shattered I feel like I can't cope anymore and I'm so furious with the attitude of the Unit, that they care so little about him and his needs. :tearful:

~ Mel ~

Awwwwww Mel,

I am sorry to hear this, why oh why do they keep dropping massive get hurdles for us to get over.

Sounds to me like they have not got a clue about AS or how it effects J's day to day life, I'd get a strong letter on the go and give it to em straight.

Its ridiculous expecting him to either get to school far too early or far too late and it most certainly is not meeting his needs, its not working, its not right and they'll have to think again how to help you.

Yeah I know easier said then done, but its worth having a go !

>:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Clare x x x

Mel, >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> It's just like my son's school, putting pressure until we do what they are supposed to do but can't be bothered with :(

The LEA must provide transport for your son so "lump it" is not an option, it's just pressure so that you accept what they already have in place, otherwise they'd have to hire a 3rd taxi. Write a letter to the school transport office with a copy of your son's timetable requesting transport that takes your son to school on time.

Good luck!

Curra xx

Thanks Clare and Curra,

I'm so fed up, I just know I won't win on this. :( I feel let down by the school and I can't understand their motivation in saying that he was okay when he was stuck in it for two hours so, therefore, should be able to cope every day. If they really think this then it really, really worries me and demonstrates just how little their care or understand about his welfare and needs. :(

~ Mel ~

Mel, The staff at my son's unit also imply all the time that he's OK at school and that they can't understand how he can be so different at home. This even if my son tells them that he's stressed. Their reply to him is "everyone feels anxiety in daily life, it's natural" as if he was exaggerating. Makes me wonder why they have an ASD unit in the first place, if they are obviously not well trained in ASD!

You can win on the taxi, don't give up!

Curra

Put it all in writing to the head of transport sevices of your local services, and place a complaint, explain how it will effect your son setting off at 7:15am and what your concerns are.

please dont give up as I know how difficult it was for you when you had to transport him yourself.

JsMum