Where are you based?  

643 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you based?

• England
    • Scotland
    • Wales
    • Europe (non UK)
    • Other

hi new to the forum but it looks great am mum to 5yr old boy with autism/as [is there a difference?]and sometimes feel i need all the support i can get :D

:) Hi Spid

lots of really usefull information on this site - lots of reading ahead!

Am fairly new too but info has been invaluable.

Welcome

Welcome Spid. I'm fairly new too and still ploughing my way through the wealth of information here - in fact I'm quite hooked and keeping popping on to see what's been going on! Happy searching!

Welcome to the forum!

Most importantly of all, you'l find good people here who understand where you are coming from.

Simon

Guest flutter

Hi i am new here. Have a 10 year old daughter who is now being investigated for aspergers, our main prob with her is the agression, and i found the thread on it very comforting, stange as that may seem.

I have always known that my darling did need support, ( dont take this the wrong way) we dont do things the same way she done on her planet??

ta for reading

Flutter

Hi flutter,

Welcome to the forum. :) I look forward to 'talking' with you. I have a daughter too, aged 15, who was diagnosed with aspergers in May. We also had the feeling that she was different to other children even when she was a lot younger, so I know what you're saying.

You'll find lots of information and support on here,

K

Welcom Flutter, :)

I hope you find the forum helpful. You will find lots of support and understanding on here.

I have always known that my darling did need support, ( dont take this the wrong way) we dont do things the same way she done on her planet??

Flutter, there's a website - The MAZE - Ooops... Wrong Planet!

http://www.isn.net/~jypsy/autilink.htm

Nellie xx

Hello all, and many thanks to Elaine for directing me here! I'm Sue, I'm married to Dave, we live in Wales and have 4 children. One of our middle pair (twins) has High functioning Autism/Aspergers. Its lovely to have found you all here and I suspect I'll be "popping in" a lot.

Sue

Oops missed this one :oops: Is this oblegitory ? If so sorry !

Hi I'm me, married to Nik, he's on here somewhere he tells me, very happily for the last eight years.

I have four kids from my first marriage, 2 sons, aged 21 & 20 & 2 daughters aged 19 & 13. Youngest was dx'd a/s aged 9yrs.

Youngest son is non dx ASD, but last summer was dx'd as psycotic scits- ofrenic ( sorry can't spell it) hope you can work it out.

I'm not convinced this is a true dx, but what the h*** I'm only his mother. He is now sectioned in a UK 'hospital.

Sometimes feel it's all to much, then I read other peoples plights and end up thinking' so what I am I moaning about'.

Love this forum, unlike some others I've looked at, it's not judgemental.

Nik says he's glad as it will save him money, as now shouldn't need to buy books, he reckons I've got a'online librerary' here.

Kook forward to learning more

:dance:

Hi,

I'm a first time user of this site. My brother has AS, he's 24 and wasn't officially given a diagnosis of AS until he was 15 years old. Just wandering if anyone has any advice or had similar experiences of depression and AS. He's going through a bad patch at the mo, feeling that he doesn't fit in with society, trouble with finding a decent friend and the big one, girlfriends! Just feel like he's been let down every step of the way - statementing, school, college and work placements. He just seems to slip through the net where services are concerned. Sits between learning disability and mental health.

Hi Pink, a warm welcome to the forum, >:D<<'>

I'm sorry your brother has had such a rough time, I bet it's not been much fun for you and the family either.

My eldest son is 26 and wasn't diagnosed until he was 19, my youngest son has had mental health problems for 4 years, he is now on the waiting list for a diagnosis, we think he has AS. I know how difficult this can be for the person and the family, we decided the only thing we can do is lots of TLC, patience, acceptance and respect. Luckily my son has had the same friends since early childhood.

I agree there is very little provision for people like you brother as you say they fall between learning disability and mental health. Have you tried the NAS or a local autistic society to see what is available in your area.

You might find some useful information on this previous topic.

Adult Provision ? Forward Thinking. Post 16 Provision.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...t=0entry12290

You will find lots of support and understanding on this forum, please keep in touch.

Take care

Nellie xx

Hi, Im sallyanne, I have a son age 8 with ASD, and a daughter who will soon be 5 who is waiting for an assessment. Hoping to make some new friends as I dont know anyone else whose kids have probs, and it can be hard work to make mums with bog standard kids understand their difficulties. I work nights at the hospital as a health care assistant, and I have just passed my driving test recently, its made a big difference to all of us, as it means no more buses or trains. My son D is under going the statementing process and I think my daughter E might have ADHD .

So glad the kids have gone to bed! Peace at last!

lots of love

S

XXX

Welcome Sallyanne,

Lots of information, support and understanding on here. Congratulations on passing your driving test ! :clap::clap: Well done.

Looking forward to 'chatting' with you.

Nellie xx

Welcome to all the new members!

You will find this forum immensley helpful, espcecially when it comes to dealing with officialdom in all it's forms.

The best bit is you no longer need to feel you are coping alone.

Simon

Hi to all new members.

A word of warning I am the one that you hide from - unless you want to find yourself carrying a banner or fighting the good fight. :lol:

I'm Carole the Campaigner!

:oops: I went straight onto general discussion with my first post and then found this! Im Fiona aka drift married to the gorgeous Mike for 13years WOW That makes me feel like a grown up- We have beautiful Sophie 18 years old and wonderful Sam just 7, we have just started the long and uphill journey of assessments for AS. We took Sam out of school for a year, two years ago as he was really suffering from stress, became asthmatic but never had to use all the meds because of our lovely homoeopath! After a year of home ed we ran out of money big time and Sam had to return. He is coping alot better these days, well its not affecting his physical health, but the stress/anxiety/bewilderment about school continues and I can see that we might have to tighten our belts and home ed him again soon. Especially as he is so quiet and seemingly ok at school that the senco is making the assessment action plan a real uphill struggle! He is very sure that he is AS "Honestly Mum, its obvious!" I would love to hear from people that have AS kids in school, not just hanging on but sort of enjoying ithe whole school thang- :wacko: is that possible? Thanks for listening!

drift

Hi,

We are based in Bishop's Stortford, Herts. I run my own business part-time around the school day/terms. We have one child, "M" who is 8.

He was dx with AS 3 yrs ago - we also feel he is dyspraxic but have no dx.

He's in Yr3 in mainstream with 20hrs 1-to-1 (what a battle we had - and still have to retain!) and is slowly but surely making progress. The school is small, positive and caring - M is the only pupil there with AS.

He's a happy, outgoing boy with a small circle of friends - but his social and body/motor skill deficits are starting to cause more issues for him and others. He is in Cubs ( just moved up from Beavers), does Judo, Trampolining and Swimming.

After advice, we elected not to go down a restrictive diet route. However, we have been using Eye-Q for about a year (for concentration) with some success, are about to embark on DDAT at the DORE clinic (for co-ordination, body awareness and organisational/planning skills) and are keen to pursue drama club/workshops for social awareness & skills! Anybody any experience/advise re any of these?

Looking forward to "chatting" you all though the forum - and would be interested in "meeting up" with anyone with a similar aged child like M who is local to where we live.

lesleyc

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and would like to indroduce myself. We live in Scotland, the borders and have three children, two boys and a small girl.

At the moment we are still taken back by what we have been told so I will keep this post short.To cut a long story short we have always known that we have problems wilth our second son, he is eight.At around six he was diagnosed with a motor nuron disorder, basically a coordination problem. He had a full assessment and autism was ruled out.

Just last week he had a further assessment where we were told that it is likely due to hls coordination disorder he has now developed AS. At the moment we are waiting for a full team assessment.

I am sorry but I can't overstate the impact that this has had on us and we are seeking out support locally.

Like I said I would like to keep this post short but I'm sure we will be posting often once we get to grips with our sons condition.

Thanks for reading Baxter

Edited by baxter

Welcome Baxter,

I'm sorry, it's really tough when you find out 'officially' that your child has a problem. I hope you do come back, you will finds lots of support and understanding on here, many parents are in a similar situation.

The National Autistic Society may be able to give you information about support in your local area.

http://www.nas.org.uk

Take care

Nellie >:D<<'>

Hi

We dont live in Scotland so Im not much use to you locally, we have recently been told our son Sam is AS and so can send our love and support on that one...even though we 'knew' tis still a lot to take in. Just wanted to say hello and welcome from another newbie!

drift

Hi I am Teresa, Nysnanna and I have a 5 year old grandson Nyran. He was officially diagnosed at the end of January with ASD and ADHD although we have known about the ADHD for sometime and were aware that he had some autisitic traits. Nyran and his sister Zenia, nearly 3, stay with my husband Woody and myself every weekend and are, along with our other daughters two children Lucie and Dylan, the centre of our universe. Nyrans mother Katrina has always struggled, despite being very bright, and we now realise that she is problably on the autistic spectrum too. She is a single parent, and has another baby due at the end of May.

Nyran currently attends mainstream infant school and receives 10 hours support a week.

This forum looks really interesting and I am sure that we are going to find it really useful and supportive.

Welcom to the forum Teresa, :)

You sound a wonderful nanna, very supportive. This forum offers lots of information, advice and support. They are a wonderful bunch. Hope you find it helpful.

Nellie xx

Hello Teresa,

Nice to have another 'gran' on the forum. My grandson is Joe, 4 in May, dx ASD. He attends nursery with 1-2-1 help. We look after Joe when his mum works during the week. We too feel very lucky to be so much a part of his life.

I am sure you will get lots of help and support for you, your daughter and all the family.

Look forward to future contacts with you

Love Joe's gran >:D<<'>

Hi everyone,

My son is 9 years old and was finally diagnosed with AS 3 weeks ago. My husband and I have always known that he was "different" since he was very little, but it has been a very long road to get were we are today!

We have been sent from piliar to post with a 'lets see what happens' attitude by the proffesionals around us and have gone through so many emtions, that it would be impossible to list them.

My real worries now include: dealing with the guilt I feel for not pushing his diagnosis quicker, not researching what his problems were sooner, worrying about weither his statement is going to be successful (it has only just been initiated), his education needs( he only gets 3 hours a day at school)....oh the list is endless!

My biggest wish, is too find a friend for my son. Since starting school, he has never been invited to one party or to play with another child :crying: and I feel so sad for him, as he is a wonderful, happy, friendly boy (who just happens to flap his arms and spin around alot).

I feel so inadequate, not knowing what services and help are available for my son, I feel like I have failed him. Does anyone else feel like this?

Sorry I've woffled on too long...

Regards, tizz

A big welcome to all recent new members :)

Tizz: please don't feel guilty about anything >:D<<'>

Have a read through the pinned topics in the 'help and advice' forum, for information on what services are available. There are so many threads on this site, take your time to find your way around. If you have any questions ask away, someone will be happy to post a reply.

Helen

Edited by Helen

:D Welcome Tizz

Im quite new too, but when I found this place, it felt like I was coming home. Lots of lovely folk with a wealth of warmth and advice.

drift

Thank you both for the warm welcome.

I've spent most of the day wondering around the forum boards and have shed tears and smiles as I've come across so many postings that echo my family's own life!

I just didn't know there were so many people out there going through similar things to myself!

It feels like at least some of the stress / worry I carry constantly has begun to lift.

Many, Many thanks, tizz

Hi Tizz, welcome aboard, :)

You have already found out you are not alone. You will find lots of support and understanding here along with lots of information.

Any questions just ask, hopefully someone will know the answer or point you in the right direction.

Take care

Nellie xx

Hi everyone. I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to get round to joining an aspergers/autism forum. Maybe it's because I tend to use chat forums mainly to 'escape' from my problems, but I decided it was time I gave it a go so here I am. I must add it looks like a nice friendly place :)

I'm 51 and divorced. I have three kids - two boys 29 and 27 and a daughter 22. The oldest boy has Aspergers, though we didn't even suspect it till he was in his teens, we just thought he was odd. Of course, he was born in 1975 and Aspergers was not generally known about at that time. Also, like my other kids, he was educated at home, which on reflection I think was a mixed blessing - less bullying, but also less 'normal' reference points. He was eventually diagnosed at 18, but unfortunately felt very alienated by the whole process (I have to confess I felt like punching one of the psychiatrists who dealt with him, and I'm not a violent person). As a result, since then he has refused to acknowledge his problem and becomes aggressive if anyone even mentions it. He also refuses to have anything to do with the health or social services. He won't register with a GP and won't claim any of the benefits he's entitled to. Consequently I am keeping him at the moment, although I can't really afford to. The divorce ended up very messy and unpleasant in spite of my best efforts, and his father now does nothing to support me or the family.

Okay, enough moaning! What with this and the divorce, and the fact that my daughter was ill with ME and depression for most of her teenage years things have been pretty bad and I've been suffering from depression myself for the past few years. However, I hasten to add that I am generally an upbeat cheerful sort of person, and much of the time life goes on and we muddle our way through it. I'm a great believer in the power of humour, and I'm not sure I'd still be here without it! My son is a very keen birdwatcher and I have to say that's our lifeline really. It gives him something to focus his energies on and gives me a channel to reach him on. And we now live in a beautiful part of Wales, so it's a good place for him.

Anyway, I won't say any more here, as I'm sure everything else will spill out onto the boards over the coming days/weeks/months.

Thanks for being here, and I look forward to getting to know you all. :)

Hi Rose, welcome aboard :)

I have been happily married for 27 years, hubbie was diagnosed with AS a couple of years ago, my eldest now 26 was diagnosed with ASD at 19, he's happy in residential care, my eldest is 24 and awaiting diagnosis of AS.

I can identify with what you are saying. I look forward to 'chatting' with you.

Nellie xx

Hi Rose,

Just wanted to say WELCOME :D

Im Fiona aka drift married to Mike, we have two kids Sophie 18 and Sam 7 AS. We home edded Sam for a year and it was lovely, but he went back to school a year ago cos we ran out of money!

Anyway, welcome once again.

drift :D

Hi Kerre

Welcome to the forum... :D

We have a few member's on here who are related, Bid/Auriel/jester I think not sure about any others. So you have joined to scare us all then... :devil:

We are all very friendly and if there is anything you wanted to know just ask away.

Take care

Amanda