Where are you based?  

643 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you based?

• England
    • Scotland
    • Wales
    • Europe (non UK)
    • Other

Hi, I've already introduced myself on another topic .. and then I found this one and thought maybe I should say hello on here ...

I'm Stephanie, 34 year old married mother of two boys from Staines, Middlesex ... my 4 1/2 year old son Asa, has just be diagnosed with HF ASD, they initially thought it might be a communication disorder and he has spent the last 5 months at a Speech and Language Cluster (OMG! Marvellous!) ... I went to the review meeting only to have him diagnosed there and then with ASD, it was a bit of a shock (although really I always knew and have just been in denial - still am "I'm sure he'll just run it off!" lol). I have another son, Griffin who is 7 months who I am fearful may also turn out ASD and it is slightly affecting my relationship with him. As Asa is my first born, I just assumed he was the same as any other child as I didn't have anyone to compare him to .. I just adapted myself to him. Like any mother of a newly diagnosed child, you worry about the future, about raising a 'nerd' who nobody likes (sorry but YKWIM), about him being bullied, being different, not having the life you planned out for him in your head - in some ways I am in mourning for the life I expected him to have. Just taking it one day at a time at the minute, good days and bad days ... it will take a long time to sink in, and it will be a while before I tell my family/friends etc. He starts mainstream school in September (bless him in his little uniform!!!) All I know at this point is that I am willing to fight :fight: for the best for him .. whatever it takes, he is so clever, so handsome, so loved and worth every effort.

Welcome Stephanie, :)

Sorry you had to find out about the diagnosis in this way, it's a shock at the best of times. You will find lots of support here from people who understand.

Nellie >:D<<'>

Hi Stephanie,

Welcome >:D<<'>

Just to let you know we're always here for you.

By the way, I'm from Uxbridge, Middlesex.

Annie

>:D<<'>

Hi Stephanie,

I'm just new to this site too and I remember the shock of finding out about Martin. It didn't start to sink in until his paedetrician said we may be able to get Disability Living Allowance for him, then I couldn't stop crying! She was so great, gave me her personal mobile number and everything in case I felt really bad.

Then it dawned on me that Martin (9-years-old) is still Martin whether he has a label or not and he doesn't care. On his particularly mad days he goes out in things like bright lime green socks tucked into his trousers and wearing sandals and he doesn't care a jot what people think. He has been bullied but his eccentricity seems to work a charm and kids don't bother anymore. (A bit like Dill Pickles from All Grown Up).

His life will carry on as it always has, except it's getting easier for him as we all understand him better (he has 3 brothers and a twin sister).

I was scared to tell my mum and dad at first because when I broached the subject to them years ago that he didn't seem quite normal I got shot down in flames. Anyway I told them and gave them something I had downloaded from the OASIS website, called a grandparents guide. It was an excellent piece, very down to earth and they're dealing with it fine now.

I say, sit back and enjoy the ride. It's pretty scary but Bill Gates seems to have done OK for himself!

Daisy

:lol:

A warm welcome to all the new recruits! :D Life is not quite the same after entering the Batcave (under General Discussions folder),..and the world of Krism!! Hope you find what you are looking for.

Kindest regards,

Elefan

Hi there

Just a very quick intro from me. I'm not even 100% sure I should be here yet but hopefully you guys can help me figure some stuff out. My son (2 next week) has global developmental delay, hypotonia etc and its looking very likely he'll get a diagnosis of autism eventually as he is showing an awful lot of characteristics. I really dont know anyone in a similar situation so I'm just looking for support / advice etc as I feel a bit lost with it all at the moment (sorry if that sounds pathetic!)

Oh and other stuff, I'm 30, based in Scotland but hubby works in London so commutes, work at home Mum (make kids clothes), have two children, Leona who is 3.5 and Logan who is almost 2.

Lynne

PS - sorry - thought I had posted this under Introductions!

Edited by LLaverty

Hello

I am new here too

so don't have much advice

but wanted to say hello and welcome anyway!

Hello Lynne and welcome.

I am quite new here ( I have an autistic son) with global developmental delay and autism it may be worth reading about fragile X it is my interest at the moment

try to read and search about autism, but take it easy as it is very hard to take everything on board what about your other children do they have any autistic feature? Lynne do not feel too pathetic you are at the begining of a long journey and not an easy one but with more knowledge you will aquire the tools to help and protect your son.

Best wishes, keep writing hopefully you will find on this site plenty help and advice.

Malika. :rolleyes:

Hi Malika

Thanks for your message :-) I think that I've always accepted that Logan had problems as it was obvious from very early on but as he gets older they become more apparent (and he becomes harder work! :lol: )

My daughter Leona is 3.5 and is very bright with no signs of autism at all. We have no (known) family history of it either.

The more I read the more I think it is the diagnosis that we will get, but I dont want to label him just yet incase its not. Its hard to know how best to help though when you dont really know.

Lynne

Hello

I am new here too

so don't have much advice

but wanted to say hello and welcome anyway!

Hi there

Thanks for the welcome :-)

Lynne

hi guys im an 18 year old aspergers sufferer from the uk and i've joined this forum to hopefully share discussion with people like myself as well as getting some advice at the same time :)

Hi,

I have three boys, the youngest who is 8 and is Autistic (diagnosis received at the age of 5).

I'm not sure if he is. But if having the label of Autism helps him to receive the support that he needs then that's ok with us.

:)

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, a good friend told me about it.

I have a 4 yr old son who has severe asd and a 2yr old daughter who's nt but just as bad as him :tearful: and a guinea pig called patch who just hides from them both :o looking forward to meeting you all online :DB)

Hi everyone,

I've been browsing the forum for a few weeks but forgot to introduce myself -- sorry. We have a nine-yr-old with a recent Asperger's diagnosis and, after five years of school hell, a statement (hurray, hurray!). His younger brother and sister (7 and 3) are probably NT, very like each other, and right at the moment harder work than our AS lad.

Didn't think I'd ever be able to say that, but a lot can change as they grow older.

It's amazing and rather reassuring to see the features we thought were specific to our boy described by so many other parents!

Lins

Hi everyone. I'm Lucky, from Kent. Mum to 3 - ds aged nearly 5 and recently diagnosed with mild ASD, dd aged 3 and another dd aged 6 months.

I'm just coming to terms with the diagnosis which was 3 months ago, although that came after a couple of years of hospital assessments, speech/language therapy, etc. We weren't entirely surprised as we'd always suspected there was something a bit different about ds, but to actually have a consultant say the words to us was still a shock.

Lucky

Hi, I'm Caroline, I'm mum to Jamie 13, Susan 11, Rosie 7 and Henry 5. I am a stay at home mum and carer to Susan and Henry, more so Henry. My partner is Andy, and he has a daughter Danni 14 who does not live with us.

Jamie is 13 and is gifted and talented, which can be hell, as he gets borred very easily.

Susan is 11 and has recently diagnosed a type 1 diabetic.

Rosie 8 has reading and spelling problems and is currently being assessed for dyslexia.

And Henry 5 Henry is an ex-premm 23 weeker, with problems, unilateral hearing loss, Hearing Aid, Asphergers, Attention Defiecency, Bladder and Bowel control problems, Co-ordination problems, gifted and talented.

Thats us.

Hya all im kay and my 6 year old daughter was dxd with aspergers 18 months ago. Great website this is and i have been trawling through for hours !. im sure ill find lots to post about!

Hi Kay, and welcome -

Yes, miles of interesting stuff on the site, and some of it even ASD related!

Hello too to any other 'newbies' I've missed... As I say every time - I only notice this thread when it's at the top of the leader board when I log in... Probably not something you ever thought about, but these sort of things pop unbidden into m head sometimes... Do you realise that 'KayCollins' is very nearly an anagram of Caky Loins... What the 'l'...

Sorry, I'll get me coat...

L&P

BD :D

Hi,

My name is George and I have one daughter who I'm hoping to get a final diagnosis for Aspergers next Wednesday - she's 12.

Currently I work nights, 4 on - 4 off which gives me plenty of time to get involved in things. Until recently I was the SEN Governor at a primary school but recently joined our TMO when I discovered they had plans to remove the current facilities for children on our estate without replacing them.

I begin an open BSc degree with honors this year with intentions of changing careers in three years time to become a teaching assistant. I guess I enjoy a challenge :wacko:

As for my daughter she wants to be a writer, 'but as they don't usually earn a lot of money I will be a vet as well' At the moment she is more concerned where she will study her A levels then she is about doing GCSE's.

The writing thing has only developed the last couple of years, but from around four she wanted to be a vet and has always accepted she will go onto Vetinary College and would not be working till she is about 23.

She is on the school's gifted and tallented program and if she continues progressing accademically will sit many of her GCSE's early.

It is because she is does well in class and is very polite and well behaved she managed to get so far without coming to anyone's notice. She was bullied a lot and this was blamed for some of her odd behaviour. Eventually she was brought to the schools attention by a substitute teacher. She came into class and her usual chair was taken and while there were plenty of others she did not know what to do and became tearful. This over reaction and a couple of smaller incidents the teacher noted prompted her to speak to the school SENCO.

After some observations we were invited in and the possibility of Aspergers was mentioned. This was four months before leaving primary school. Because there was real concerns how she would cope in a secondary school a lot of effort was put in to brief the new school and prepare her for the change.

I am the first to admit I was very dissapointed when I learnt what school she got in, it has a bad reputation and the students are a nightmare when out of school. As it turned out it was the best place for her to be.

One example she came home very happy one day. I asked her how her day had been and she told me one of the students had thumped her! They didn't find out who it was either. This had followed other similar incidents but the way they had been coped with by the school I realised just how much her confidence and ego had been boosted in a very short time. She still has a lot of social problems and coping with sudden change, she is convinced because they are not laughing at her they must be laughing behind her back. In fact she is very popular and has at least one admirer :rolleyes:

This summer I bought her a medic alert necklace and she has spent a lot of time going places with her best friend or on her own. A year ago I had serious concerns if she would ever cope with the dynamics of vetinary college, today I have little doubt if her progress continues while she will always find social situations a challenge she wil cope and do well :dance:

Hi, thought i'd introduce myself my name is jayjay and i have a 5 year old son who the school believe to have aspergers and am currently going through the motions of diagnosis :dance::wacko:

hi, im mel and i found this site while looking for information for a very good friend who's son has as.

Hi Mel,

Welcome to the forum. You've arrived at the right place for info :)

If your friend needs any questions answered, there's always somebody here who will have the answer.

Annie

X

Edited by annie