643 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you based?

• England
    • Scotland
    • Wales
    • Europe (non UK)
    • Other

Hi,

my son (almost 11) has been recenty diagnosed with AS. Some people and then his school expressed concern about my son.To me, he is a bright, rather eccentric boy with a wonderful capacity to learn whatever he fancies, except Maths, and I find it hard to come to terms with this diagnosis. The Ed psychologist and later the pediatrician said there is no doubt about it, so it seems that I have been the last person to admit that there is something wrong with him. I realise that he will need some support in his new school and perhaps also later in his life, so I am in a sense a bit glad and relieved that he has been finally diagnosed. He is from birth totally blind in his right eye , he is my only child and I am a lone parent, which makes all this a bit more difficult.

I am posting with our cat's name to protect my son from circumstances that are too personal and complicated to explain here.

Thanks Mossgrove for referring me to this forum!

Curra

Welcome to the site Curra :)

Simon Mossgrove pointed you in the right direction. You should find lots of advice and support on here, with a bit of humour thrown in.

It can be very difficult coming to terms with the diagnosis. Take your time to look through the site, there is a lot of information on here. You will also find lots of parents in the same position who will have some understanding of how you are feeling.

Look forward to 'chatting' with you.

Best wishes

Nellie.

Curra

Welcome to the forum!

I have often used our cats names as usernames online so we have something in common.

It can be a confusing and bewildering time coming to terms with a diagnosis, especially if it was not expected.

Talking to people in a similar position (on or off-line) is a good way to start as it's important to understand that you are not alone.

You may wish to spend some time browsing the National Autistic Society's website at National Autistic Society or find out about the support groups in your area.

Similarly Tony Attwoods Guide to Aspergers Syndrome (From Amazon and elsewhere) is a must-read book for all parents.

For a positive look at raising children with Autistic Spectrum disorders you may wish to read 'Multicolored Mayhem' by Jacqui Jackson who is a single parent of 7 children with four boys onthe Autistic Spectrum. Her 14-year old son Luke Jackson has written a book called 'Freaks, Geeks and Aspergers Syndrome'which would be a good book for you and your son to read.

You'll find lot's of support here.

Simon

Hi All,

How lovely to have found this place, I was given this address by a Dad of a little boy at the same school as my children. I saw him today at a summer holiday club that aims to intergrate those children with special needs with more able children, and he was very sweet in helping to trying to get my son to go in, so thank you for that! :wub: He didn't actually go in in the end, but never mind :crying:

I am a mum of three, my eldest was eight yesterday and was dx with AS and DCD at four years old. We have good times and bad, although the bad seems to be getting frequent as he gets older :unsure: My special parenting skills leave a lot to be desired, so I am looking forward to picking up some tips and also helping anyone with any experience I may have, and making some new friends in the same position as me! :) Oh, and I am near tunbridge wells in kent :D

Nellie, Simon and All,

Thank you so much for your replies! This forum gives me a good welcoming feeling B)

Yes, I have read Tony Attwood's book and I have found a support group in my area that will meet again in September. Talking about holidays, I am in need of some advice on what to do with my son during these weeks. His best friend is gone, he feels totally bored with me and spends too much time walking all by himself in a nearby playground. There are other children in this area who bully him calling him names and some even threw a bottle at him last week. He came back crying and said that no one wanted to play with him. He as tried to make friends with some of them, but his nerdy approach is not accepted. He hates fun fairs and crowded places. Perhaps I should post a message about this in another part of this forum?

Gloria

Hello, I'm Dave. My 8 year old son Jake finally got DX for AS 2 months ago, he came to live with me 3 years ago after my ex wife couldn't handle his behavour any more. Like many of you I struggled with CAMHS to get the DX, but now no longer feel like a 'bad parent' I just look forward to trying to get some more support and a better understanding of AS so Jake can grow up as happy and secure as possible. I hope to be spending a lot of time reading the posts on the forum. - Sorry about the spelling I have Dyslexia

Hello Dave,

Welcome to the forum. I hope and am sure that you will find here the support and understanding that you are looking for.

Kris

Hi Dave, welcome to the site :)

Hope you find it useful. I know what you mean about being judged as a bad parent. :(

Best wishes

Nellie.

Hi Curra, Perdita & Morgi (and anyone else new)

Welcome. I'm sure you'll find lots of good stuff here - I know this sites been really useful to me over the past month or so, both for good advice and a good laugh!

Curra - know exactly what you're on about re holidays- horrible time if things aren't lined up and ready to roll. I've just found a 121 befriending scheme in my area; my own boys a bit young, but my 15 year old ASD nephew will really get some mileage out of this. Perhaps there's something like this going on in your area? SS would know, or possibly NAS.

Morgi - Congrats on the DX. Well done! Hope you and yours will now get some of the support you've been looking for. Resources are tight, i know, but at least with the DX you've got a fighting chance. Welcome, Jake too...

Perdita - Glad you found the site. Presume that means you picked up the CD's? Hope they were the right "flavour". Let's hope the holiday club proves more successful on the next attempt - I think he wants to be there, but feels a bit "exposed"... Good luck with it.

Welcome anyone I missed - esp those with ASD's themselves. While everyone on the site has amazing insights I particularly enjoy those posted with an "insider" POV. Thankyou so much.

Baddad - Was it you then? :lol: But, I'm afraid I didn't get any CDS :unsure: We haven't been back since. Getting ready for holiday, and I couldn't bear to stand there everyday trying to get him to go in :wacko: I don't know, *sigh*, the one he went to last year was great, someone came to meet him at home and he had this person as a specific carer for him, also siblings were allowed to attend at extra cost. He loved it. I think this is the first year of this one, and it doesn't seem to be sorted out properly yet. I just got the impression that children with special needs were allowed to attend, as long as they didn't have any *special needs* if that makes sense?! :( Ho Hum. :lol:

p.s - Your screen name is totally inappropriate from what I have seen about school ;)

Hi Perdita -

Agree exactly about this years scheme. Ben "lost it" yesterday, and they couldn't cope at all, asked me to pick him up early today as Esther wouldn't be there after 12 and they didn't think they could manage him without her! Will do a longer post on this tomorrow when I've more time and have calmed down - ab. fuming today :angry: ! suspect you were "eligible" for Tonbridge last year, same as us... bleedin' social services...

Left two CD's with them for your little fella, as Ben was only there this week and we didn't know if we'd bump into you again. They're with Esther if you want to pop back down there, or maybe give her a ring and she can bung them in the post.

Have a good holiday. Were off to Butlintz ourselves later on in month. :wacko:

Hi Baddad,

I'm still trying to find something for my son over the holidays in my area. There's an AS group that won't take him unless a parent is there. The problem is that I need to go to counselling (for myself) once a week and it looks like I will have to cancel the appointments during the holidays, unless I find a scheme through the S services. It would be easier if I knew more people, but I moved into this area only some months ago... I am also one who can't make social contacts very easily:unsure:

Well, at least the weather is getting better and I am taking my son for walks. Yesterday we joined a group of woodland rangers and he had a great day. He was so well that I almost forgot about his AS!

Hope you have a nice holiday!

Curra

Baddad - Thanks so much for the cds. Won't be able to pick them up now as leaving early tomorrow, but Lewis is booked in for another week when we get back so will pop down and see if he would like to give it a try :rolleyes: and if not, pick up the cds anyway - if that is ok for you? :) Agree totally, it was tonbridge last year and I couldn't think of a negative thing to say about it. Thst why I was so keen for him to go this time, as thought it would be the same just at a different venue. They just haven't set it up very well at all. :angry: I mean, if Esther is the only one there with experience of these kids?!!! :blink:

:lol: A very welcoming welcome to everyone who has joined in the last week!! :D

Thank you to Mossgrove and Baddad (and others) for sharing the web address, too. >:D<<'>

Since setting up the forum, I have become so much more enlightened. You're all amazing! Can't believe it will almost be a year since we started!! Pimms in the Batcave!?? :bat::lol:

Elefan

xx

Ahem,....Kris??! :blink::lol: I know it is September, but don't know the date, Esther!

How about a Breezer or ten in the 'cave!!? :D

Elefan

xx

We could try and mark the day by giving it the 'highest number of users online',...and 'highest number of users visited that day'?! I think the current 'best date' is some time in May,.......time for a change?!

Elefan

xx

We could try and mark the day by giving it the 'highest number of users online',...and 'highest number of users visited that day'?!

We could arrange a time when we are all online with LARGE glasses of wine raised for a toast.

Just another night for you, Baddad!!!!!!! :lol::lol:

Nellie. :dance::dance:

Ok,....watch this space!! :dance: We will do a message closer to the time with the start time that we will attempt to get 'most users ever online'!!! :blink:

Elefan

xx

Right, we'll be going down the off licence for a vat of wine, several gallons of Baileys, a couple of hundred bottles of Breezers and 2 ton of hob-nobs. Not forgetting the sausages on sticks of course :D

I might just join you in a small glass of sherry. I don't usually, you know, but it is a special occassion. :whistle:

B)

We look forward to toasting the occasion with you :)

Although I have been posting on this site for a while Ive just found this bit and thought I would tell you all about myself.

My son Andrew is nearly 6 as was diagnosed with ADHD Last year and is on Ritalin, he was also dx with Aspergers in March this year, and they also think he has dyspraxia. I also have a 4 year old daughter who so far seems fine. I have struggled to come to terms with Andrew's problems and feel as if I am just starting out ! - Andrew has just finished his first year of school and at the moment we are pushing the school to have him statemented.

Andrew has severe toileting issues and a times I marvel at myself that I just take everything in my stride, when maybe other mothers would go mad if their child poo'd on the carpet to me it is just part of my life. It is only accasionally that I realise how effected we are by Andrew's problems.

I love my intelligent, affectionate child to bits, although at times I could scream he makes me so mad.

So glad I found this forum - I enjoy reading all the posts and feeling that I am not alone.

Thank You

Hi Linz,

Thats for posting that and giving us all a little more insight into your life.

We are really glad you found the forum and now, as you say, you are not alone :)

Kris

Hi,

I have just registered although a few of you may recognise me from other forums such as the recently defunct Aspergia. I have a 5-year-old son with Asperger Syndrome. I also have Asperger Syndrome myself so I find posting quite difficult and may not always say much.

I have a partner and another younger son as well. I don't think they have ASDs.

My son with AS has a statement at school. But we have little support at home and he drives us mad sometimes (although my partner more than me). He is lovely and very clever though.

I like to read a lot about Autism as I collect information.

Hope that's OK. I'm not good at introductions.

Infojunkie

Lovely to meet you, Infojukie!!

Worry not, that was a great introduction!

Hope you find this site useful, I certainly do and it's a great way to make new friends too.

Look forward to chatting with you in future, hope you and yours are well,

Esther x

:) Hi there. I don't actually have any children with autism but i do work in a children's unit and deal with several children who do have it. I am interested in learning about it and if anyone could recommend any good books or websites that would be wonderful.

Thanks Kathleen