643 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you based?

• England
    • Scotland
    • Wales
    • Europe (non UK)
    • Other

Hi Jo

I'm new too - only found this board yesterday. How you doing?

Juney

Hi Juney

We are actually having quite a good summer (touch wood). Niamh has always been more relaxed and less anxious during school holidays than term time, and she has been at a brilliant special school since last September. She used to get very anxious when she had to go to our local mainstream, and even though this improved slightly after she was diagnosed, she was never happy or settled there. Since starting her new school she is so much happier and relaxed and actually talks about other children in her class :thumbs: Had a slight hiccup yesterday when she got upset when he cousin drew something a bit wrong....

Mind you, we haven't been out much as we find most places just too busy for her during the summer - I think the most she has done was to go clothes shopping with me!

Having a bit of a nightmare with DLA as they have dropped her from Higher to Lower mobilty :tearful: which we need to keep her Blue Badge - she has problems walking far and on bumpy ground, steps etc.

Emma

Hi Emma,

Glad to hear you having a good summer, and that your daughter is settled at school.Hope you get the DLA sorted. We're doing OK, had a blip yesterday as I didn't handle a meltdown very well, I probably exacerbated it to be honest. which is how I ended up finding this board. All Ok today, and hoping to go swimming tomorrow. I know what you mean about places being too busy - we go for quiet places - castle ruins, country walks. failing that I go as early as I possibly can!!

speak soon

juney

Hi All,

I joined a couple of months ago but I didn't realise this thread before. It is good to have a bit of introduction!!

I am a mum of an Asperger boy, 11 years, and a wife of an Asperger man who is very successful in IT business and finance but who finds everyday little things very difficult to comprehend (very typical). I also have two 'NT; boys ages 8 and 5. At the mo the 8 years is finding it really difficult to manage with his older brother and I think he will gain a lot from some anger management tips and I need to learn how to help him. I work (mostly from home to be around the boys) as a researcher (demographer and statistician by training). We (or rather me) didn't have a social life for years now but the boys have there friends and activities and my hubby got his (couple) of friends. Both my husband and older boy find the idea of me having any sort of social life or inviting (going out) with my friends who 'they' don't consider to be their friends is rather obscure. So I ended up fitting around them.

I found this forum to be really helpful and it is a great 'social life' for me I also think that everyone hear really deserve a big round of applause :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: I don't know how to add a photo (need some advice :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

Pragmatic

Welcome all new peeps!

Pragmatic, glad you are settling in. If you want a picture, go to "my controls", on the left you will see an avatar settings option. Theres loads to choose from or you can add your own individual one which I needed LOADS of help with. If you'd rather do that, find my thread about avvys in techie corner as theres clear instructions on it (but not by me!) :lol:

Hi All

I have 1 son, in year 6 diagnosed last year with Aspergers. He finds it helpful to have the 'label', becuase others make more allowances for him. He has always been somewhat different from other children, but we didn't pursue a diagnosis until it became clear that he was going to have problems at secondary school. I found this forum when I was looking for other parents to talk to about managing behaviour when I am not present. I look forward to chatting

Hello everyone,

I'm a 32 year old full-time mum to Jack who is 9 & to Astrid who is 8 years old.

Jack has AS & was diagnosed 2 & 1/2 years ago.

By the age of 2 I knew that there was something seriously wrong, but thanks to Jack attending a speech & language unit for 3 years he has acheived more than we could have ever dared hope for.

Last May Jack joined mainstream school & I was so proud!

Of course life is never without it's problems & the day to day stresses of having a child with AS can be sometimes hard.Right now,we've come up against the issue of bullying & how to deal wih it,so I'm hoping to get some tips on here or even just to hear other peeps stories.

Thanks for reading this & I hope to enjoy meeting & joing in with you all.

Cheers! :party:

Welcome madameziggy,

Sorry to hear about the bullying, you certainly have come to the right place to get some tips etc.

Looking forward to getting to know you.

Clare x x x

Thanks for the welcome,Clare!

I think I have come to the right place,I've been reading through previous posts & it seems a really informative & friendly forum.

:) xxx

Hello to both wardie and MadameZiggy!! >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Welcome!!!

You will both be fine here, it's a really friendly forum, hope to speak to both of you soon!

Lisa xxx

Welcome all new peeps!

Pragmatic, glad you are settling in. If you want a picture, go to "my controls", on the left you will see an avatar settings option. Theres loads to choose from or you can add your own individual one which I needed LOADS of help with. If you'd rather do that, find my thread about avvys in techie corner as theres clear instructions on it (but not by me!) :lol:

Thanks Pearl,

I now have a 'ghost' picture- this is my son's favorite topic :thumbs:

pragmatic

Thanks Pearl,

I now have a 'ghost' picture- this is my son's favorite topic :thumbs:

pragmatic

:thumbs:B) nice

And a big welcome to you MadameZiggy (love the name)!

Hello everyone, I've finally joined this forum and have found lots of good advice and information so far! Our son was dx when he was almost 3.5yrs old and has now started school. It's still very early days but he seems to be settling in OK......hoping it's going to continue!

Hi my name is Rob and i live in Bedfordshire. Im currently self diagnosed with AS although i also suffer from ADHD. Im currently awaiting a phsycological evaluation. Im 33 years old.

I find it hard to make friends, and as such have very few. I am divorced and have 2 children who i see every fortnight. Its nice to know im not alone. >:D<<'>

Hi there and welcome to the new forum.

If you have not already registered you will not be able to post replies or to start new topics so it is worth taking a few short moments to register by clicking on the link above (or from the login screen)

We would be grateful if you could take a little time to complete the above poll and post a reply to introduce yourself. Maybe you have a story to tell or would like to ask a question.

Go for it. This forum is for you and depends on your input, information and participation.

If you have any technical questions or problems using the forums then please feel free to email us at Kris@krism.org.uk or PM either myself or Elefan (forum co-host)

Regards,

Kris & Elefan

Forum Hosts

Hi we have a 7 year old boy with ASD, we have had quite a few challenges to live with and still more, we knew nothing of autism and were scared anxious parents, we attended Earlybird pre school meetings for 10 weeks in autumn of 2004 and learnt a lot and were given lots of support and encouragement chatting to other parents in the same situtation as us. Littleun is in mainstream school,with support for learning and one to one teaching at school,he is a challenge but he is also a little boy,who gets very frustrated himself. he is very intelligent, he draws detailed picutres on computers,which he completes pixel by pixel,erasing bits he is unsatisfed with until he gets the image perfect. I have been wishing for a link with other parents for a long time,the NAS doesn't have a forum to chat securely in. I have found after a year chatting on message boards about autism, how frustrated people are and the ignorance of people,who just think they are just naughty uncontrolled children. i find it sad that society doesn,t value people on the Austism spectrum more,because they are the scientists possibly like Einstein and other artists and scientists who benefit mankind with their discoveries,made possible by their obcessions.

Hello :D I am Karen and live in Norwich with my Hubby and two boys. Tom is 9 in November and was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome back in July this year, Billy is 7 and neurotypical. I have lurked on this forum for some months now, reading the valuable advice and information that has been posted. I have finally took the plunge :clap: and joined up!

Hi Tillyb and all our new members :) ,

Welcome to the forum. Pull up a chair and make yourself at home :thumbs: . Hope to catch up with you soon.

Annie

xx

My name is Bruce. I'm 38 with a dx of Asperger's from 4 years ago. I'm married with 2 children. My daughter is 3 and NT, my son is about to turn 8 with a dx of ASD from a few months ago.

He's always been unusual(!).... hyperlexic as a toddler... reading shop names at under 2, reciting the alphabet backwards at 2 (he had a snail jigsaw with the alphabet as the shell which he did once or twice.... an hour!). Loved clocks at that age and would point them out as we were driving spotting half-clockfaces that we wouldn't twig to until we drove past again a few weeks later. Obsessed with Thomas, which progressed into Star Wars and we're now onto Dr Who. Also likely to be Dyspraxic although we're still waiting on that. Always parallel play with his peers... even now for the most part. Might let others play with him if they play his game by his rules. Enjoys reading, computers, terrorising his sister and playing with insects.... not necessarily in that order. He won't eat 'green' even now. He's a loving, friendly hyperactive handful who makes an impression on everyone he meets. If he's met someone once he'll go out of his way to say hello if he sees them again.... even if it means shouting 100m up the road, 'Hello Mrs.......' with big waves and grins. He also gets very frustrated and angry very easily, throws tantrums etc. He's also just started year 3 which is something I'll probably ask for a little help with over on the education forum when I've had time to digest yesterday's parents' evening!

I got my dx when we were concerned about the MMR about 4 years ago. Read plenty of 1st person articles online which sounded vaguely familiar! Wasn't overly fussed about getting a dx. Didn't really feel it would make a massive difference to me, but we had concerns about our son and thought perhaps the Doctors might take us a little more seriously if there was a family history. He finally got his dx a few months ago after the school finally decided to get involved and contact his Paediatrician for us. His Doc had been saying for the last few years that he may just be 'immature' and might grow out of it! Now we finally know where we stand and he's started a new year at mainstream primary in a class of 30 with no TA or other class based support. He has a few hours out each week for 'social skills' and 30 mins at the start of each day to work on his fine and gross motor skills. The work seems to be far more structured this year and he's finding it hard going. Anyway this is more than an intro so I'll leave it there for now.

Thank you. It's nice to have somewhere just to spout and know that hopefully those reading will have some idea of where you're coming from.

Bruce

Hello,

I'm Lesley, I have 5 sons and 1 daughter, my 13 year old son has been diagnosed as ADHD since he was 7, and my 7 year old son has recently been diagnosed as ASD - although, if im honest his dad and i knew long before the official dx, he loves maths, in fact anything to do with numbers will keep him occupied for hours lol, it was so good to find this forum and although I had read up about ASD I have found your forum really helpful, (still got a lot of posts to get through) no doubt i'll soon be asking lots of questions :rolleyes: anyway thanks for having me here

Lesley

Hi I am Sarah, 33, I am just starting on the long road of trying to get a dx for my son Charlie who will be 3 in December. We have been told that "unofficially" they think AS and maybe ADHD .. have been lurking here for a while - thanks for all your helpful info and posts on here - they have been a real lifeline x