643 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you based?

• England
    • Scotland
    • Wales
    • Europe (non UK)
    • Other

Welcome to the forum. :)

On the subject of self harming the main two things I have seen done in the past are:

1) try and protect the child. If it is something like headbanging it is possible to get a helmet that can be put on them if they start doing this. That way there at least is some cushioning. The other thing I have seen done at schools is taking them into the soft play area so they can calm down.

2) try and find what is the cause of the self harm. Often if you keep a record you can spot a common trigger. Then if you remove that trigger the frequency at least lowers. Also sometimes children do this as a way to get attention. If this is the case give them lots of attention when they are behaving and when carrying out self harm try and protect them then leave them to it and don't give them too much attention. Very hard to do I'll admit but it did seem to work. The other thing you can try and do is find a different action that they can use to relieve the frustration that does result in them hurting themselves. I believe some people find a martial art works well or something like boxing.

Good luck and I hope you manage to make some progress with this issue.

Hi there.I'm just new here.My name is Pauline & I have a 6 year old son who has just been diagnosed with Asperegers!

Hi pauline a very big welcome to this lovely place, and I am sure you are going to like it here, I joined last year and I have always felt welcome, its about the only forum I have recieved so much support and understanding as it is so isolating raising a child with different needs and management, anyway hopefully see you in the posts soon.

welcome and nice to meet you.

JsMum

It's great to finally have the chance to talk to other people that are in the same position as myself! I'm still feeling overwhelmed with the diagnosis. Takes a bit of getting used to!

It's great to finally have the chance to talk to other people that are in the same position as myself! I'm still feeling overwhelmed with the diagnosis. Takes a bit of getting used to!

Its really difficult to get your head around it because you have been told in some way that your child is different, that he is going to need support and his needs will require constant reviewing, no matter how much we try and get use to it it still is really hard to be told that our children have a disorder or a syndrome, but for me it gave me greater understanding of the actual difficulties my suffers and have an insight in their world, in some ways it makes our children really unique and interesting, it challenges us in extream situations and we cope with far more than we ever expected giving us inner strength and a greater determination to help our children because we already know that are amazing kids.

A great DVD to watch is by tony attwood, its so funny as well, made me laugh my socks off because of the antics our kids get into, the programme is called anger management,teaching teachers, teenage issues volume 2.

Reading about aspergers syndrome will make it less of a frightening prospect and I talk to local kids who have AS and they are so sightful and talk a lot more sence than a group of proffessionals, one kid I talk to is 16 years old and he was only diagnosed last month, but he said he knew from been a toddler as he see things differently.

In some way having your son diagnosed young is a really good direction to be at as you have a name and you can access support and talk to other parents who have similair difficulties, too many children are far too old and too many mistakes are made by lack of resources and understanding that causes other additional mental health issues on top of AS.

What ever age though its still take your breathe away, even when you have waited and knew it still hits you like a brick, its that big bag of mixed emotions and some of its reliefe and some of it is some sort of loss, but in some ways having a child with ASD is a gain as well, because the kid you get no one will have one like you, as A thirteen AS boy said to me the other day, its AS but no two AS kids are the same.

the emotions will calm down after a good cry and letting out all that frustration out, it will of been a rollercoaster of a road already even before the diagnosis as its what may of happened to get to this point that will probably be the main reason for the overwhelming reaction, for now though you can now you know what it is that is going for your son.

That alone made such a difference for my relationship and we started to do things with insight and put in place things that supported J and in turn that supported me.

There is a range of emotions when a parent is told that there child has An ASD and its bit like a griefing process, a book that looks at this is called does my child have autism I cant actually locate it and I will clarify the author but it does explain this bit more in this book.

Another good book I recommend is called how to help your autistic spectrum child, jackie brealy and beverly davies.

I also joined the National Autistic Society who sent me an information pack with useful infomation on different aspects of an ASD.

I hope you get some sleep tonight as really need to go now as its getting way passed my bedtime so night night for now.

JsMum

Hello all

I've been browsing for a few days, champing at the bit to be given permission to post - and at last here I am (thanks to the Mods/Hosts who approved me!)

I'm the dad of a recently ASD diagnosed 4 year old boy, and we're just starting on a GF/CF diet regime. We already know C has an intolerance to cow's milk and have been using goat's milk for a year or so (Sunderland tell me that Goat's milk is considered very low risk compared to cow's), but now we've cut out all products containing milk.

The GF part is proving somewhat tougher though... my two older children (girls aged 10 & 8 - NT, though we're beginning to wonder if the 8 year old may be Asperger's) are seriously missing bread, as we're trying to be united as a family and avoid the risk of any "contamination" in the house.

Breakfast cereal is also proving to be a challenge. They've not been keen on most of the options we've tried so far...

Have just applied to Sunderland for the Urine Analysis too, so we're very interested in what that might show.

Hoping to get lots of help and advice here, and in return will hopefully be able to offer some of my own as time goes by.

flipper

Edited by flipper

Hello. I'm new here but not new to ASD as I have 3 children on the Spectrum. 2 boys and 1 girl. They are more adults than children now really.

Looks like a nice place to care and share so I'm hoping to find time to join in.

Hello... Bard and another person told me about here. :)

My name is Louise and I have 3 children

All 3 of my children are dx Aspergers. My DH is a non-dx Aspergers. My Youngest (YS) is also ADHD with dyspraxia. :o

We live in Scotland.

My ES (14+)is in mainstream school supported by Autistic Base staff - he only goes to the Base unit for meal times and breaks and PSD lessons. He was dx when he was about 8 although we knew that there was something when was 2.5yrs old.

My DD (10; 11 in 3weeks 2 days as she keeps reminding me) is in mainstream school with no support at all ...although H/T has said that due to DD's behaviour she can't go to Holland next year. She was initially dx 'oppositonal/confrontational when she was 7yrs and after a fight by me was finally dx Aspergers when she 9yrs.

My YS (8+) has just had the world's worst year in school :angry: and in August will be starting at a new mainstream school in their Autistic Base. He was dx when he was 6.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Louise

A big warm welcome to all our new members :) .

It's a great place for information, support and a few giggles (in 'Off Topic') :thumbs: .

Annie

xx

A big welcome from me too. I'm also a newbie with 3 ASD young people, 2 boys and a girl.

Hi Louise, I think you're going to like this lot as much as I do!

>:D<<'> Hello my name is kelly i have two son's ryan 12 and liam 8.

Liam is the reason for my joining as he is adhd high funtioning autism speach and langauge delay and oppositional conduct disorder quite a lot in one little package bless him. I like many of yourselfs have been finding thing's very hard at time's and is such a comfort to know i am no longer alone.

Myself and my husband knew something was a little wrong when liam got to around 18months old and we have been fighting for him eversince with the health service the education department !!! that was the worst one!! we now have our little man in a special school and it was a long hard struggle but we got there in the end.

Liam has been in school now for a year and the change in him is amazing he is still not Full Time but we are getting some were now.

But most importantly liam is happy and is making friends!! and is enjoying being part of the school community and joining in with alll the shows and trips that take place i am so proud of how far he has come.

And feel on other days i may be letting him down who is to know for sure what is best ????????

Liam is taking resperdal liquid as recommended by his dr at Gt Ormond street hospital and so far the resalts are good alittle gain in body mass but he needed to gain as he was stick thin from not eating due to ritalin!! So pretty calm at the moment just waiting for the next tidal wave .

Thanks for taking the time to read my first posting'

Kelly,

>:D<<'> Hello my name is kelly i have two son's ryan 12 and liam 8.

Liam is the reason for my joining as he is adhd high funtioning autism speach and langauge delay and oppositional conduct disorder quite a lot in one little package bless him. I like many of yourselfs have been finding thing's very hard at time's and is such a comfort to know i am no longer alone.

Myself and my husband knew something was a little wrong when liam got to around 18months old and we have been fighting for him eversince with the health service the education department !!! that was the worst one!! we now have our little man in a special school and it was a long hard struggle but we got there in the end.

Liam has been in school now for a year and the change in him is amazing he is still not Full Time but we are getting some were now.

But most importantly liam is happy and is making friends!! and is enjoying being part of the school community and joining in with alll the shows and trips that take place i am so proud of how far he has come.

And feel on other days i may be letting him down who is to know for sure what is best ????????

Liam is taking resperdal liquid as recommended by his dr at Gt Ormond street hospital and so far the resalts are good alittle gain in body mass but he needed to gain as he was stick thin from not eating due to ritalin!! So pretty calm at the moment just waiting for the next tidal wave .

Thanks for taking the time to read my first posting'

Kelly,

Hi Kelly, I am relatively new here as well. Just wanted to say hi! :rolleyes:

Hi Kelly, I am relatively new here as well. Just wanted to say hi! :rolleyes:

Hi, great to hear from you!!

Not sure if i am using the forum reply thing right pretty new at this computer lark hehe but having a go is the name of the game so i am told !!

I did not think i would have a reply so soon as their are so many members here sooo great to hear from you thanks :thumbs:

Hi to everyone who's recently joined...the forum's been a godsend to me, full of advice and support when I need it, and a good laugh when I need one of those! :)

Hope you all enojy >:D<<'>

Hi,

I'm Sash and my 6 year old son was recently diagnosed with Asperger's. I feel all sorts of emotions about it :tearful: and am pleased I have found this site to find out more. I look forward to meeting you all! :)

Hi everyone,

Just found this forum. My DS is 11years old, and has a diagnosis of HFA for nearly four years. He's just about to start mainstream secondary which I am very nervous about and am trying to think of lots of strategies to make it less painful for us all.

Also.. trying to persuade him to leave the house is proving a struggle this summer holiday. We have the fastest day trips ever!

Juney

Hi everyone

I am new on here so thought I had better introduce myself. My name is Emma and I have three children - 2 girls aged 8 and 6 and a boy aged 2. My eldest was diagnosed with Aspergers in April 2006, but we had thought she was n the spectrum for at least a year before she was diagnosed. She also has a mild physical disbility.