Where are you based?  

643 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you based?

• England
    • Scotland
    • Wales
    • Europe (non UK)
    • Other

Hello, just found the forum and it's nice to find one that is UK centric ! My son has Aspergers, and was diagnosed at an early age so consequently has been able to get access to a wealth of resources from the LEA and LHA. We have had to pressure the authorities to get the level of support and in many instances educate them as to what Aspergers is all about...

My son is now 16 and due to do GCSE's next Summer. The ignorance concerning Aspergers is quite staggering, even at Educational Policy level and we are constantly having meetings, writing emails (so much easier then letters!) to ensure he is not disadvantaged when it comes to exams. He's a very clever person, aware of his 'condition' with a good bunch of friends but still struggles in certain situations.

Welcome Russ

We are just a couple of years ahead of you - JP is 18 & has just started an apprenticeship. He did well in his GCSE's & was given 25% extra time in exams. At 6th form he went for a Btec which is continuous assessment & suited him much better.

Look forward to getting to know you.

:dance: Hi Russ welcome to the boards. This is one of the best asd forums ever and you'll find plenty of support here. Sounds like you have plenty to give too having been through 16 years of this already. Hi to your son too.

Hi Russ,

Welcome to the forum :) .

My son has recently turned 18 and left school last year. He spent the last couple of years with the Home Tuition Service (small group learning) and took his GCSEs with them.

He's a very clever person, aware of his 'condition' with a good bunch of friends but still struggles in certain situations.

Alex is the same. Unfortunately, school was one of the things where he really struggled.

Annie

xx

Seeing as I have already put a couple of posts up I thought I would actually do an introduction! :rolleyes: My name is Jack and I'm 23 studying Foundation Science with the aim of going on to taking Biomedical Science. My long term goal is to work in Haematology. I was recently diagnosed with dyslexia and dyspraxia by an Ed Psych at the beginning of September.

Several times it has been suggested to me to get assessed for AS, I would like to know mainly to know for sure, after doing a lot of reading I can definitely see traits there. I'm not sure where I need to go from here though with regards to getting assessed. Currently I am getting mentoring and dyslexia tuition at university and soon counselling again.

My interests mainly lie in Science, reading and computers. I like to read sci-fi, fantasy, history, religious and science books. I probably spend far too much time on the computer. I like knowing the way that things work, and am fascinated by programs such as brainiac, mythbusters and how its made. :thumbs:

Hi,

I am from Germany an have been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome (at the University Hospital in Cologne) in the first half of this year.

I registered for this forum, because I will soon travel to England to do my masters degree in chemistry at the Univesity of East Anglia in Norwich. The degree is a 'Master by Research'-Degree in the field of 'Solid State NMR'.

I have already spent 8 years in the UK (in Scotland to be more precise), 4 years at a boarding school near Dumfries and 4 years at University in StAndrews.

Right now I am mosly concerned with finding a place to stay for my time in Norwich.

FKlama

Hi all, Im Matt, from Redditch, Worcestershire, Im 28, and got diagnosed with Aspergers last week.

My folks thought there was something up a year or so ago, I was depressed and didnt communicate much.

Looking at it now, I have very much in common with what I have read on ASD.

I have currently been annoying my friends as one I cant communicate greatly, yet I find myself wanting to talk to people to stop myself from being by myself so much, this also seems to annoy people. I have things that I like to do over and over again, they dont seem to understand fully what it is I have.

Anyhows heres to the first of many posts I hope.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum you can communicate as much or as little as you want here, I am sure youll find it a great place.

Hi also to all other new members I have missed recently, Welcome, welcome, welcome

Clarex x x

Hi Matt,

I'm also 28 and was dx'ed earlier this year (although it doesn't seem like this year as so much has happened since). It's a really strange time after dx - you know something's different before, you're terrified of what it might be, you get the dx and find out that you're not mad/dying of something incurable that's making you act the way you do, but then it hits that well, actually you are different and this is life-long and it is a long process coming to terms with that. But there are lots of us here who've been through the same, so any questions . . .

As for the communicating thing - I do struggle, especially when stressed, with verbal communication, particuarly in group situations (one on one I'm better), but as you say, it's still something I want, but on my own terms. I am far far better at communicating through text - I email/MSN a lot because I have the necessary processing time and don't have to worry about non-verbal aspects of the communication. That's why I love this forum :thumbs: :thumbs: (among many other things!!)

they dont seem to understand fully what it is I have.

Well, when you've solved this one, if you can let me know the answer, I'd be most grateful . . . :rolleyes:

hello , just thought i'd introduce myself, i'm a single mum and have 3 great kids, 2 girls aged 17 and 10, both have asd traits and a son aged 12 with a dx of autism with co-morbid bipolar

Hi everyone,

I have recently found this site and what a mine of information!

I have a 20 yr old daughter who has "special needs" from birth, we never had a definitive diagnosis apart from ADHD but it was always much broader than that.

I also have a 13 yr old son, who was diagnosed with Aspergers 6 weeks ago.

He is very intelligent and does well at school. On the other hand he is emotionally and socially much younger in his years.

He gets very wound up and upset over what I think are minor things and sets very high standards in his school work which obviously are not good as he then gets depressed if he doesn't quite reach one!

His father and I divorced a yr ago and it's been a rotten year since in that as his father went straight out and found another lady with a 10 yr old son my son feels replaced and betrayed, now he refuses to have any contact.

Life is a challenge!!

xx

Hello.

I have just joined the forum and have a partner with Aspergas Syndrome that is presently undiagnosed. He is being assessed in March we hope. I came here at my wits end trying to cope with the lead up to christmas. I feel really lonely and isolated coping with his demands and needs right now so was looking for ways to manage a 42 year old that I do care for greatly. I hope I am in the right place for friendship and understanding and learning how to manage better. CJ

PS Not sure if I posted right?!

Edited by Chloejane

Hi Chloejane, welcome to the forum, I joined not to long ago and have found it a great help.

Hope you get as much from it as I do. :D>:D<<'>

Hello.

I have just joined the forum and have a partner with Aspergas Syndrome that is presently undiagnosed. He is being assessed in March we hope. I came here at my wits end trying to cope with the lead up to christmas. I feel really lonely and isolated coping with his demands and needs right now so was looking for ways to manage a 42 year old that I do care for greatly. I hope I am in the right place for friendship and understanding and learning how to manage better. CJ

PS Not sure if I posted right?!

Hi Chloejane,

I know exactly what you are talking about (similar sort of partner and similar age!! :rolleyes: ), as well as an 11 year boy with AS and an added bonus of two younger sons.

Welcome

Hi Chloejane,

I know exactly what you are talking about (similar sort of partner and similar age!! :rolleyes: ), as well as an 11 year boy with AS and an added bonus of two younger sons.

Welcome

I feel almost releived reading your post. Please could you tell me where to begin to find my way around? What threads I can begin to read for a little sanity as a partner would be so appreciated. I think I have begun to lose mine of late with his constant needs and demands and so need to read stories that will remind me I am not going mad? Thank you for your reply.

Hi Kog, Marnie & Chloejane - Welcome to the forum, I am so pleased you have all found this wonderful forum, I hope you all find it as much support as I do. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Chloejane, it just takes a little while to get the hang of getting yourself around the site, you might like to start by looking at some threads on beyond adolesence, otherwise just start your own thread with your questions, concerns etc and I am sure you'll get plently of helpful advcie and support. There are also lots of adults with ASD's on here you can give give a good insight to how they see things, this has helped me enormously with understanding my AS son and my undx AS husband.

And oh yes one of the things I found a bit confussing at first was all the jargon ie DH DS DD OMG IYKWIM etc just have a look at the jargon buster top right, its also really useful for links.

Good luck Guys and I look forward to getting to know you all better.

Clare x x x

Dear Clare,

This really helpful.

Chloejane,

Why don't you start a thread perhaps related to a specific challenge you are facing at the mo and I am sure you will have loads of responses from spouses and adults with AS alike.

I found great advice on this forum and the most supporting thing was my realization that it is not only me at all there are a lot out there and they have so many advice up their sleeves.

Take care.

Pragmatic

hi there I am Rhianydd and live in Brighton

I have 3 children a 16 year old kelly

11 year old carrie anne

and owen who is 6 and autstic

live with the kids and OH

I also do a lot of crafty things as well

Hi Rhianydd (lovely name!) A big welcome to you and everyone else who's joined recently. :)

K x